The Student Room Group

ABRSM and UCAS

(I've still got quite a while before i have to fill in a ucas form etc., but i'm interested)

Music exams (ie. ABRSM and Guildhall) grade 6+ count for ucas points, so would they improve your chances of getting in? Some unis just look for certain grades, so would these points actually give you an advantage?

So here's my question: Do unis rely solely on grades or do they look at your overall ucas score??
Reply 1
most unis actually go on grades thesedays. few top unis ask for points and so really these extra points will count for little. A good number of new unis however do sometimes give their offers in points.
Reply 2
Unless you're thinking of applying to a very low ranked University, I doubt you'll get an offer based on points. I know for a fact that Brunel gives offers based on points.
Reply 3
How about if there are two students with identical grades, would they favour the one with more points?
Reply 4
Put your music exams down - it shows you're well rounded and do lots (even if you don't get space to mention it on your personal statement). It might give you an edge, but I doubt any uni (unless you were applying to do music) would ever admit that it did.
Reply 5
You can never say who the University will pick as some Universities will not ONLY look at grades. Just put them down and hope for the best! :smile:
You should definitely put them down anyway, but the top unis will ask for specific grades in 3 A-levels, eg AAB, the middle unis will ask for x UCAS points from 3 A-levels, eg 300, and only the bottom unis will ask for x UCAS points from anything. There's a chance they might give you an edge over someone else with the same grades if the uni decides to take extra-curriculars into account, but they're not usually important unless they're relevant to your course.

Latest

Trending

Trending