The Student Room Group

Instrument Grade Requirements for University

Hi

I'm a Year 12 A-Level student studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Next year I'm hoping to apply to study Medicine at University. I play the violin, but not at too high of a standard and was wondering what (ABRSM) grade I would need for violin for it to essentially be valued by medical schools? Also would being in an orchestra or musical group at school really matter?
They wouldn't value it for what grade you did it, it would be valuable (if at all) for your reflections on the experience and your commitment to it (regardless of what qualification you did or didn't do for it).

If you're only doing it to stick it on your UCAS application thinking medicine admissions tutors have a tick box saying "has grade X musical instrument" then don't do it at all - because that's not how it's going to work (and you could just as well demonstrate commitment to other activities - which may well be much more relevant to medicine anyway).

This isn't America, universities aren't generally judging you on your extracurricular activities much at all, and what consideration is given will be on the overall reflection of the experience and not just the fact that you've done it and written it in a list on your personal statement.
Passing any music exam from grade 6 onwards will give you UCAS tariff points, but this isn't relevant for medical school. Medicine offers are based on specific grades in specific A-level and GCSE subjects, plus your performance in admissions tests. Medical schools don't look at UCAS points attained through other things. So no, passing music exams won't boost your application in this respect.

Violin could still be helpful in other ways, though - if you enjoy it. I usually play for half an hour each weekday, and my practice time is a nice bit of calm in an otherwise packed day. It relaxes me and I feel much more focused afterwards. When I was revising for my most recent exam I would grab my cello and play a few vigorous scales every now and then, just to clear my head (that's when I was studying at home, just to be clear. I wasn't breaking out my cello in the middle of the med school library). So if you enjoy learning, keep on with it. You'll need interests in your life outside medicine, things that you do for your own sake and not because they're necessarily going to improve your academic credentials. If you don't like violin all that much, find a hobby that you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending