The Student Room Group

Uncertainties about my uni course

Hey everyone, just a bit of background: I'm currently taking my A Levels. I have applied for a chemical engineering course and have received offers from Bath, Edinburgh and Lancaster. I'm predicted 3A*s and an A in physics, chemistry, maths and biology, respectively.

Here's the thing. I don't think i have ever really enjoyed science subjects very much (particularly biology and chemistry), and I think that it especially showed during my interviews for my top 2 choices (got rejected from both of them, lol). My grades have pretty much come from the pressure of my parents and self anxiety. I was initially 'molded' to become a doctor. I thought that by taking an engineering degree, I would kind of lessen the intensity of the 'science' i would get, with it being a really vocational subject. After research however, i found that there is usually on average only one module for the business aspect of engineering from all my courses. For the most part, i only applied to engineering because of the faux ideology in my country that only doctors, engineers or lawyers will have successful careers.

I'm guessing it is the mixed feelings of anxiety and uncertainty that made me write this post. I don't know if i can take 3-5 more years of "science", or chemistry, for that matter. Before you call me out for being 'lazy' for wanting to take an 'easier course', I just want to make a point that I know that any respectable course at university is going to have its own level of difficulty for their own reasons.

Would it be possible to switch over to a different course, say economics or marketing with my current subject choices? Would it be advisable to take something like mechanical over chemical? Should I stick with chemical? why?

Thanks for any advice, TSR :smile:
Original post by mingomango
Hey everyone, just a bit of background: I'm currently taking my A Levels. I have applied for a chemical engineering course and have received offers from Bath, Edinburgh and Lancaster. I'm predicted 3A*s and an A in physics, chemistry, maths and biology, respectively.

Here's the thing. I don't think i have ever really enjoyed science subjects very much (particularly biology and chemistry), and I think that it especially showed during my interviews for my top 2 choices (got rejected from both of them, lol). My grades have pretty much come from the pressure of my parents and self anxiety. I was initially 'molded' to become a doctor. I thought that by taking an engineering degree, I would kind of lessen the intensity of the 'science' i would get, with it being a really vocational subject. After research however, i found that there is usually on average only one module for the business aspect of engineering from all my courses. For the most part, i only applied to engineering because of the faux ideology in my country that only doctors, engineers or lawyers will have successful careers.

I'm guessing it is the mixed feelings of anxiety and uncertainty that made me write this post. I don't know if i can take 3-5 more years of "science", or chemistry, for that matter. Before you call me out for being 'lazy' for wanting to take an 'easier course', I just want to make a point that I know that any respectable course at university is going to have its own level of difficulty for their own reasons.

Would it be possible to switch over to a different course, say economics or marketing with my current subject choices? Would it be advisable to take something like mechanical over chemical? Should I stick with chemical? why?

I had a discussion with a chemical engineering a couple of months ago who stated there wasn't a great deal of chemistry involved in the subject. Perhaps you might like to look into this. With your A level subjects you could look at asking a uni to allow you to switch to another form of engineering. Generally it is Maths and Physics needed for engineering subjects. if you do not wish to persue engineering you could ask your uni whether they would let you study Economics or whatever instead. With your subjects and predicted grades there will be many unis who will accept you for Economics etc. If the unis you have offers from do not allow you to change then you would need to consider withdrawing from all your offers and applying through Extra for Economics or whatever else you are applying for. In that case you need to check what courses are available and contacting the appropriate uni to ensure they still have available spaces and are likely to accept you. Another option would be to consider studying Maths at degree level.

Only you can decide what you want to do, and pressures from family make the decision harder. However, doing a degree you're not passionate about can be pretty soul destroying- not only do you have to study that subject and only that subject, but you're also surrounded by people who are super enthusiastic about the subject. Doing something you're not passionate about will make it really hard to be self motivated enough to get a good grade.

Your subjects would be fine for economics at most unis- having a good maths grade will be an advantage to your application.

If you don't want to learn more science then stay away from engineering. Engineering at university is largely maths and science with some software skills (CAD, FEA, CFD etc.) and practical skills/group work bolted on.

Look into other courses you feel you would enjoy more and see what the entry requirements are for them.
Hi there. I'd just like to explain why there doesn't seem to be a lot of the "business aspect" of engineering. that's because you're supposed to learn everything else first, which is mostly comprised of maths and sciences. I totally sympathize with the situation you're in because my own parents had the same mindset. It can also be hard to go against their expectations if they're still supporting you, but maybe they'll be open to some sort of compromise. It's been mentioned before, but nobody else will be going through your life but you so it's your responsibility to make choices that will lead you to personal fulfillment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending