The Student Room Group

vet Nurse training

Hi guys i am looking into going into vet nursing I was wondering if there are any other students on here vet nursing or people already qualifed as a vet nurse could offer any advice. Do you still enjoy your careers? any tips to getting a place for training? : )
I'm looking to do the Level 5 foundation degree in vet nursing. I went to an open day to see what it was like and stuff. It's not a well paid job so it is important that you will enjoy it but there are things you can do to increase the pay like completing additional courses so you can train behaviour classes. The nurse I talk to has been to London to do courses about animal behaviour and everything which the practice paid for. The nurses there loved what they did as they are starting to take on the responsibility of doing minor procedures like removing lumps and stuff. Apparently there are always spaces available once you've trained, its like 60% of people have a job within 6months of graduating. Most places won't accept you unless you have a placement as it is a requirement for part of the course. I found it helpful to write a letter to the place you want to go to and tell them what course you are looking to do so they know you aren't just looking for experience because you have time to spare. I included my past experience with animals which helped me get a work experience placement in the summer. If you can't get onto the course then you could take another course for a year. Animal management is the basis of vet nursing so it would be useful to do that if you cant get a placement in time.
Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 2
hi there thats great! i think its terrible how they arent paid more because of all that learning and also its awful how they expect you to get a placement no other nursing would expect this they would put you in one as part of the course. I hope you do well in your training how much will you get paid in your area once qualifying?
Reply 3
Original post by DauntlessAngel
I'm looking to do the Level 5 foundation degree in vet nursing. I went to an open day to see what it was like and stuff. It's not a well paid job so it is important that you will enjoy it but there are things you can do to increase the pay like completing additional courses so you can train behaviour classes. The nurse I talk to has been to London to do courses about animal behaviour and everything which the practice paid for. The nurses there loved what they did as they are starting to take on the responsibility of doing minor procedures like removing lumps and stuff. Apparently there are always spaces available once you've trained, its like 60% of people have a job within 6months of graduating. Most places won't accept you unless you have a placement as it is a requirement for part of the course. I found it helpful to write a letter to the place you want to go to and tell them what course you are looking to do so they know you aren't just looking for experience because you have time to spare. I included my past experience with animals which helped me get a work experience placement in the summer. If you can't get onto the course then you could take another course for a year. Animal management is the basis of vet nursing so it would be useful to do that if you cant get a placement in time.
Hope this helps :biggrin:

thankyou for that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending