The Student Room Group

Veterinary nursing/Veterinary science

Hi, I was just wondering if I could apply to veterinary nursing and veterinary science with a HND in animal care. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
I’m a registered vet nurse (diploma, not degree). I also didn’t do my a levels, I did a national extended diploma in animal management (triple distinction* result). Having applied to vet med (oct 2022), personally, I don’t think you would be able to apply for both without prioritising one. Vet med is such a competitive course to get on to that your personal statement will completely reflect your desire for this career choice and will leave questions as to why you’re applying for vet nursing - vet nursing is too competitive in its own manner (RVC for definite doesn’t come up on clearing, not too sure about Harper Adams etc), therefore, applicants personal statements too will demonstrate their desire for this career choice. For definite, you can use the vet nursing degree to get on to vet med, but if you are weighing up whether you want to be a nurse or vet, personally, you need to consider this before applying. See practice and see what us nurses do and what the vets do. Look at the role, the time/commitment to study, responsibility, work/life balance, the entry requirement - obviously vet medicine will require much higher grades. If you don’t have that ATM but do want to be a vet, that’s OK, but you will need to achieve the grades.

They’re very different jobs, so you will need to consider what role in practice would suit you best. As I said, if you wish to change career after becoming a nurse, you can do it. I know plenty of nurses who are at vet school or who are qualified vets now. But personally, I don’t think applying for both courses at the same time is the best choice. If you are considering vet med and want a 5th choice, you’re best picking bioveterinary science or biology etc. Hope this helps
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by oliviaparisx
I’m a registered vet nurse (diploma, not degree). I also didn’t do my a levels, I did a national extended diploma in animal management (triple distinction* result). Having applied to vet med (oct 2022), personally, I don’t think you would be able to apply for both without prioritising one. Vet med is such a competitive course to get on to that your personal statement will completely reflect your desire for this career choice and will leave questions as to why you’re applying for vet nursing - vet nursing is too competitive in its own manner (RVC for definite doesn’t come up on clearing, not too sure about Harper Adams etc), therefore, applicants personal statements too will demonstrate their desire for this career choice. For definite, you can use the vet nursing degree to get on to vet med, but if you are weighing up whether you want to be a nurse or vet, personally, you need to consider this before applying. See practice and see what us nurses do and what the vets do. Look at the role, the time/commitment to study, responsibility, work/life balance, the entry requirement - obviously vet medicine will require much higher grades. If you don’t have that ATM but do want to be a vet, that’s OK, but you will need to achieve the grades.

They’re very different jobs, so you will need to consider what role in practice would suit you best. As I said, if you wish to change career after becoming a nurse, you can do it. I know plenty of nurses who are at vet school or who are qualified vets now. But personally, I don’t think applying for both courses at the same time is the best choice. If you are considering vet med and want a 5th choice, you’re best picking bioveterinary science or biology etc. Hope this helps

thank you so much! i’ve been really worried about not being able to do veterinary medicine, which is why i asked if id be able to do both because i did not do my advance highers due to my mental health and having to leave school. I don’t have anyone to talk to about something like this and a lot of my research showed that because i do not have the grades right now i would be unable to do the course even after i have achieved the grades. thank you so much for all of this information and i wish you all the best!
Original post by kenzie2408
thank you so much! i’ve been really worried about not being able to do veterinary medicine, which is why i asked if id be able to do both because i did not do my advance highers due to my mental health and having to leave school. I don’t have anyone to talk to about something like this and a lot of my research showed that because i do not have the grades right now i would be unable to do the course even after i have achieved the grades. thank you so much for all of this information and i wish you all the best!

Each vet school is different. Some are strictly science a levels (plus GCSE requirement) or undergrad degree (usually 2:1 or higher, even asking for particular a level requirements). However, some of the vet schools accept alternative qualifications such as access courses, or the national extended diplomas (RVC/nottingham/HKVS etc). Alternatively, you could consider doing a foundation year for entry (Nottingham, HKVS, UClan etc). You probably won’t meet the requirements for Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool or Cambridge. Look at each uni’s entry requirement on their website. If you meet none of the requirements, I would suggest taking time out and sitting the correct qualifications, or doing the foundation year. By doing a degree to get on vet med 1) it’s funding vet med as a second degree which is expensive! - I have a lot of friends struggling financially through vet school because of it. 2) you would still need to meet the a level requirement. The access to higher education might be of benefit to get on the course then, if you do not meet the requirements. But take into consideration your GCSE results. I had to resit some of my GCSE’s whilst working as a RVN, I did poor at school (undiagnosed with dyslexia and was in a bad relationship so suffered with my mental health). But 10 years later I’m on a foundation year and will (hopefully) transfer on to year 1 in September

Do you also meet the work experience requirements? Each uni is different and will want a range of placements (small animal vets, farm, equine, an abattoir, communication experience with people - the more diverse, the better. I have worked in practice for 10 years (equine, small animal and exotic/zoo species) and was still told by one vet school that I would need to do 70 hours outside of a vets for work experience. Might not happen next year but if you put the time and effort into it, and really want it. You can make it work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending