The Student Room Group

Job prospects for engineers

In the air recently there has been much rumour that the engineering profession is paying exceedingly well because of a sudden rush of older people leaving the profession. However, this is not wat I want to talk about, instead I was wondering what the possible opportunities are for engineers? Which sectors are better paid or more interesting than others? I have heard that chemical engineers are particularly well paid and one ChemEng is on £930,000!!! Where on earth could this be? How many engineering graduates end up working in the city or do more continue in technical careers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
jamierwilliams
one ChemEng is on £930,000!!!

I honestly don't believe that. Maybe £93,000?

Engineers can indeed earn a very good salary, often around £80K, but I would imagine firstly you would need chartered status and this would only be available to those older people with many years of experience (industrial). Afraid I can't really help, I'm not an engineer, I'm a Physicist so just visiting your board! lol
Reply 2
My cousins both live in London and have been to really good universities doing mechanical engineering
They're finding it really hard to find jobs
Reply 3
Over the last *so many months* ive done a lot of looking into this topic.
The government last year launched a scheme to push engineering to the community because there aren't enough people doing it. HOWEVER its not that simple and as we all know engineers stretch from the Washing machine man to nuclear physicists..
Basically, there are way too many mechanical and automotive (of all kinds of transport; aerospace included).
The lack of engineers is mainly in the civil, and especially electrical sectors. Also there is a desperate cry for engineers with management qualities because most engineers tend to be good at working stuff out on their own but not in a group.
starting salery for a graduate is about 25000, 30000 if charted.
Most chartered engineers retire on 50-60k per year.
Reply 4
Funky Chic
My cousins both live in London and have been to really good universities doing mechanical engineering
They're finding it really hard to find jobs

Oh man...that's so not what I want to hear :frown:
Reply 5
Mysticmin
Oh man...that's so not what I want to hear :frown:

Hehe, you will need every penny of that fabled £930,000 a year if you're to beat me to that elusive London dream property. :wink:
Reply 6
mobbdeeprob
Hehe, you will need every penny of that fabled £930,000 a year if you're to beat me to that elusive London dream property. :wink:

why, what profession are you going to be making your millions in?
Reply 7
mobbdeeprob

I bet I can beat you to it faster if I marry a nice bloke who just 'happens' to own a lovely penthouse in South Kensington :tongue:
Reply 8
jamierwilliams
why, what profession are you going to be making your millions in?

Law, naturally. :biggrin: Although I may diversify after my first degree.
Reply 9
mobbdeeprob
Law, naturally. :biggrin: Although I may diversify after my first degree.

*note to self* while designing mobbdeeprob's car make the sure the hydraulic brake system isnt too effective. Full of holes perhaps. :tongue:
Indelible
*note to self* while designing mobbdeeprob's car make the sure the hydraulic brake system isnt too effective. Full of holes perhaps. :tongue:

I'm sure he'd appreciate it, after all, Lawyers love exploiting loopholes :smile:
Indelible

Haha, the select bunch of luminaries who design my car will be totally loyal and of Germanic origin.
Mysticmin
I bet I can beat you to it faster if I marry a nice bloke who just 'happens' to own a lovely penthouse in South Kensington :tongue:

Haha, I can see that South Kensington will become quite the hotbed of activity once you arrive! :wink:

As for me, being the consummate professional that I am, I have no plans for marriage until I reach age 30 (and can no longer bear denying an eligible woman of my company). :tongue:
mobbdeeprob
Haha, I can see that South Kensington will become quite the hotbed of activity once you arrive! :wink:

As for me, being the consummate professional that I am, I have no plans for marriage until I reach age 30 (and can no longer bear to deny an eligible woman of my company). :tongue:

Hmm, I'm not marrying till I'm 30, and that just *happens* to be one year before you :tongue: So methinks I'll get the flat first. Besides, I'll have already resided in S. Kensington by this christmas :biggrin:
Mysticmin
Hmm, I'm not marrying till I'm 30, and that just *happens* to be one year before you :tongue: So methinks I'll get the flat first. Besides, I'll have already resided in S. Kensington by this christmas :biggrin:

Flat? I'll hear none of't!
This young squire will have acquired the following portfolio (through his own choice endeavours) long before yourself :biggrin: :

1. A Grand Embassy Villa on Kensington Palace Gardens
2. An imposing residence in Holland Park
3. A top floor riverside apartment on the South Bank, with panoramic views.
4. A condominium in Belsize Park
5. A Notting Hill mews residence
mobbdeeprob
Flat? I'll hear none of't!
This young squire will have acquired the following portfolio (through his own choice endeavours) long before yourself :biggrin: :

1. A Grand Embassy Villa on Kensington Palace Gardens
2. An imposing residence in Holland Park
3. A top floor riverside apartment on the South Bank, with panoramic views.
4. A condominium in Belsize Park
5. A Notting Hill mews residence

I plan to acquire apartments in Kensington, New York, Rome, Paris and Hong Kong before I hit 35. Oh man...I'd better get a good job, would have been alright if i'd stuck to my plan of investment banking...

Is all that living space really necessary? :tongue:
Reply 16
I'd be happy with a reasonable wage and a nice 2/3 bed house somewhere quiet :smile:
shiny
I'd be happy with a reasonable wage and a nice 2/3 bed house somewhere quiet :smile:

Don't want much do you? Definitely not corporate direction, money grabbing, employee exploiting material. :biggrin:
Mysticmin
I plan to acquire apartments in Kensington, New York, Rome, Paris and Hong Kong before I hit 35. Oh man...I'd better get a good job, would have been alright if i'd stuck to my plan of investment banking...

Is all that living space really necessary? :tongue:

Monaco, Milan, Mustique, St Barts, The Hamptons - all absent from your portfolio, tut tut. :wink:
mobbdeeprob
Monaco, Milan, Mustique, St Barts, The Hamptons - all absent from your portfolio, tut tut. :wink:

Hmm, I'd rather have Venice. I'm not too into Monaco and St. Barts. I like old cities with lots of beautiful architecture and museums and art galleries. Oh and shops :biggrin: Not too keen on america.

Latest