The Student Room Group

Aerodynamics masters degree

Hello TSR,
I am currently a 3rd year student studying general engineering (with a focus on mechanical modules) at the University of Warwick. I achieved a 69% in my first year and a 74% in my second year. I am interested in pursuing a career in aerodynamics in the future. However, I've noticed that the University of Warwick doesn't emphasize aerospace engineering much, with only one module offered in years 2, 3, and 4. Due to this, I have started exploring master’s programs at other universities.
I have come across some exciting courses, such as "Aerodynamics and Computation" at Southampton and "Aeronautical Engineering" at Imperial (Although I have doubts about my grades being competitive enough for admission). I'm also concerned that if I do manage to get into one of these programs, it might limit my job prospects. For instance, if I can't secure a job in aerospace, would finding employment in mechanical engineering design or related fields be challenging? Could my BEng degree still qualify me for these roles?
While I'm fine with staying at Warwick, I'm uncertain if the aerospace content there is sufficient for the job market (regardless of how much content I independently learn). I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for alternative courses and insights into my concerns.
Thank you for your assistance.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous12_3
Hello TSR,
I am currently a 3rd year student studying general engineering (with a focus on mechanical modules) at the University of Warwick. I achieved a 69% in my first year and a 74% in my second year. I am interested in pursuing a career in aerodynamics in the future. However, I've noticed that the University of Warwick doesn't emphasize aerospace engineering much, with only one module offered in years 2, 3, and 4. Due to this, I have started exploring master’s programs at other universities.
I have come across some exciting courses, such as "Aerodynamics and Computation" at Southampton and "Aeronautical Engineering" at Imperial (Although I have doubts about my grades being competitive enough for admission). I'm also concerned that if I do manage to get into one of these programs, it might limit my job prospects. For instance, if I can't secure a job in aerospace, would finding employment in mechanical engineering design or related fields be challenging? Could my BEng degree still qualify me for these roles?
While I'm fine with staying at Warwick, I'm uncertain if the aerospace content there is sufficient for the job market (regardless of how much content I independently learn). I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for alternative courses and insights into my concerns.
Thank you for your assistance.

If you get an aerospace & computation degree when you apply for jobs you could also describe your degree as aerospace engineering or probably even aerospace & mechanical engineering - then leave the tailored description of your degree for your target jobs. Which should be fine for mechanical engineering jobs.

Computational engineering methods are more sophisticated then general project & design engineering roles and as long as you are competent with the key tools and can hold a technical conversation at interview I don’t think it would hold you back. Having worked in advanced fluids & aeronautical engineering teams, its pretty normal for applicants to have specialized & advanced degrees (often even PhD) so if you are very keen to pursue a job involving CFD I would encourage doing a path with technical sophistication (both on the theory & technical tools), you will be tested on this in interviews.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest