The Student Room Group
London South Bank University
London

London South Bank University Adult Nursing Timetable?

Hi,I went for my interview at London South Bank on Wednesday for Adult Nursing, they said it would take around a week to get back to us because of the bank holiday weekend. Are there any students currently on the course who could tell me a little about timetable and term times, I know I may not get an offer but I have 2 children so like to plan ahead just in case.Thank youShelley

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ShelleyRL
Hi,I went for my interview at London South Bank on Wednesday for Adult Nursing, they said it would take around a week to get back to us because of the bank holiday weekend. Are there any students currently on the course who could tell me a little about timetable and term times, I know I may not get an offer but I have 2 children so like to plan ahead just in case.Thank youShelley

Did you find out this information? Im starting in Sept and would like to plan things ahead. :-D
London
Reply 2
Original post by kelz8241
Did you find out this information? Im starting in Sept and would like to plan things ahead. :-D

Hi,

No I didn't find out this information. They made me an offer so I'd still like to know :smile:
Reply 3
I emailed admission, and they said I'd get a timetable in September, but I could give this number a ring. So if I remember I'll do that tomorrow. Congratulations on the offer, are you firming it? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I emailed admission, and they said I'd get a timetable in September, but I could give this number a ring. So if I remember I'll do that tomorrow. Congratulations on the offer, are you firming it? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't give you much time to prepare if they give you the timetable in Septemeber do they. If you ring the number let me know what they say if that's ok. I'm 90% going to confirm it, I've got 1 more interview left so going to go for that & weigh up my options after then x
Reply 5
Where did you apply? Greenwich was originally my first choice, but it was my last offer, I went and did two open days and realised lsbu was the place I wanted to go. No worries I'll let you know what they say :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I am currently a first year on this course. They won't give you a timetable until September because they split you into groups and you won't be told which one immediately.

For my cohort, the course started on Sept 7th with a two week induction. Then all groups began 6 weeks of theory. During theory we were in for 3-4 days per week, mostly 9am-3pm but it does vary. Once the theory as over, some groups continued theory however my group had a week of 'prep for practice' and then into our first 12 week placement on the ward. This placement was broken up by a 2 week break for christmas which every student gets. In January we continued the remaining weeks of placement then had a week annual leave to recover (trust me its needed!).

Depending where you are on placement, your shifts will vary. I did 12 hour shifts including weekends. You are not required to do nights however a lot of my fellow students did them. You'll have exams and essays due in January which is hard if you are on placement.

I then did another 6 weeks of theory, same kind of hours and am currently in the middle of 10 'study' weeks. I never anticipated to have to so many study weeks when I started the course so I am enjoying them at home doing some bank work. I have two essays due at the end of May.

After my 'study' weeks I will have another 'prep for practice' week and then a 6 week community placement then 4 weeks off for summer! Returning for year 2 on Aug 30th!

Phew that was longer than I expected. I hope its helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Katie
Reply 7
Bare in mind that this is my course plan and will probably be a bit different for you guys. I know some of the modules are being combined and changed so it might be different
Reply 8
Original post by Katieb55
I am currently a first year on this course. They won't give you a timetable until September because they split you into groups and you won't be told which one immediately.

For my cohort, the course started on Sept 7th with a two week induction. Then all groups began 6 weeks of theory. During theory we were in for 3-4 days per week, mostly 9am-3pm but it does vary. Once the theory as over, some groups continued theory however my group had a week of 'prep for practice' and then into our first 12 week placement on the ward. This placement was broken up by a 2 week break for christmas which every student gets. In January we continued the remaining weeks of placement then had a week annual leave to recover (trust me its needed!).

Depending where you are on placement, your shifts will vary. I did 12 hour shifts including weekends. You are not required to do nights however a lot of my fellow students did them. You'll have exams and essays due in January which is hard if you are on placement.

I then did another 6 weeks of theory, same kind of hours and am currently in the middle of 10 'study' weeks. I never anticipated to have to so many study weeks when I started the course so I am enjoying them at home doing some bank work. I have two essays due at the end of May.

After my 'study' weeks I will have another 'prep for practice' week and then a 6 week community placement then 4 weeks off for summer! Returning for year 2 on Aug 30th!

Phew that was longer than I expected. I hope its helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Katie

Thank you so much Katie. I have two children so it's good to get an idea of how everything works so I can get a plan in place.

So if you done 12 hour shifts how many shifts did you have to do a week? What's the 'prep for practice'? And when you say 10 study weeks what is that?

I didn't think we'd have as long as 4 weeks off for summer so that's good.

Thank you for all this information, it really is helpful :smile:
Reply 9
Wow Katie thank you for the info. Any recommendations on things we should buy, like shoes or books?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShelleyRL
Thank you so much Katie. I have two children so it's good to get an idea of how everything works so I can get a plan in place.

So if you done 12 hour shifts how many shifts did you have to do a week? What's the 'prep for practice'? And when you say 10 study weeks what is that?

I didn't think we'd have as long as 4 weeks off for summer so that's good.

Thank you for all this information, it really is helpful :smile:

If your on 12 hour shifts you'll do 3 shifts a week but 4 shifts for one week of the month. Hope that makes sense?!

Prep for practice is doing any mandatory training you may have missed for whatever reason including basic life support and moving and handling. You also learn how to fill in the documents for placement and they give advice and answer peoples questions.

The study weeks are weeks where you have no placement and no lectures so essentially have nothing however we are told to be aware that we may be called in for practical skills sessions, but so far we haven't been called in. My group has the largest chunk of study time, other groups don't get as much or it is broken up with a placement.

Hope this helps :smile:
Wow Katie thank you for the info. Any recommendations on things we should buy, like shoes or books?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't buy anything! You'll get a recommended reading list for each module but you won't need to purchase them all. You'll need a good human biology book but I would recommend waiting and having a look in the uni library at which one suits your learning style and then commit to buying it.

I bought shoes when I have moved to London so I had more choice. I went with some pretty ugly Clarks ones but they are comfy.

I didn't even buy a fob watch because I got one for free when I joined the RCN during freshers!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I know I had loads before i started :smile:
Haha we will bombard you 😁 I wanted to ask what/which are the hospital placements are please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha we will bombard you 😁 I wanted to ask what/which are the hospital placements are please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For adult, you'll either get placed with Barts, Guys and St Thomas' or UCLH. They say it depends on where you live but that doesn't seem to be the case with me and my class mates. Some students say they were asked at their interview which trust they would want however I wasn't and I had no say, same with other class mates. However if there is a trust you are desperate to be placed with then I would tell your cohort leader during the induction period as this is when they assign everyone a trust.

And your placement could be anywhere! During year 1, no one gets A&E or Intensive care. I was on a surgical ward. Others have been on stroke wards, neurology, elderly care, ortho...it really varies.

Hope this helps
For adult, you'll either get placed with Barts, Guys and St Thomas' or UCLH. They say it depends on where you live but that doesn't seem to be the case with me and my class mates. Some students say they were asked at their interview which trust they would want however I wasn't and I had no say, same with other class mates. However if there is a trust you are desperate to be placed with then I would tell your cohort leader during the induction period as this is when they assign everyone a trust.

And your placement could be anywhere! During year 1, no one gets A&E or Intensive care. I was on a surgical ward. Others have been on stroke wards, neurology, elderly care, ortho...it really varies.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the really useful information. When you had your placements, did they take much notice of your clinical interests? Or were your placements just luck of the draw
Original post by Sarah Green
Thanks for the really useful information. When you had your placements, did they take much notice of your clinical interests? Or were your placements just luck of the draw

Just luck of the draw for me. When your in your third year you have a elective placement which you choose. Some trusts say if you have a specific interest to let them know and they will do their best but its not guaranteed :smile:
Katie, a bit random, but can I ask what you wear clothing wise and footwear, when you are in uni, on the simulator wards.
Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you have skills sessions in the sim wards you wear full uniform including shoes (I wear Clarks). When we first started the skills sessions, the uniforms hadn't yet arrived so we were told to wear comfy and easy to move in clothing :-) x
Ah ok. Thank you. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you have skills sessions in the sim wards you wear full uniform including shoes (I wear Clarks). When we first started the skills sessions, the uniforms hadn't yet arrived so we were told to wear comfy and easy to move in clothing :-) x

Thanks for all the useful information. Do the shoes need to be black or can they be any colour? Are there any rules about the style or just flat and comfy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending