The Student Room Group

Hours

I know that throughout the course you are given set blocks in the years to be on placement. Can you tailor your hours to suit and prior commitments and worm around paid work? As-long as you complete your total hours for the course?
Original post by LJH12345
I know that throughout the course you are given set blocks in the years to be on placement. Can you tailor your hours to suit and prior commitments and worm around paid work? As-long as you complete your total hours for the course?

NO YOU CAN'T tailor what hours you want to do.

Nursing courses are set out within the NMC regulations in what you must do.

You'll have to complete the 2300 hours of placements
You'll have to complete the 2300 hours of university block study within the three years of starting. This works out a average 37.5 hours per week for both university and placement.

University you could be in 5 days a week or perhaps only 3 days and 2 days online - each university has their own schedules for the coursework.
Placements days and shifts will vary over the course of the week depending on how you are rota in ( Saturday to Friday).

NHS registered adult nurse and midwife

@Emily_B
@Tracey_W

Don't know if yous can perhaps add anything else. Thanks 🙏
Reply 2
There may be some flexibility on some placements where you might be able to negotiate shifts around other commitments, however this won’t always be the case and there’s an expectation that you prioritise your clinical placements over other things.
Original post by LJH12345

Hi,

Although most placements offer some amount of wriggle room when it comes to placement hours, it doesn't mean that you can tailor your hours around prior commitments such as paid work. They expect you to work a regular rota that a qualified nurse would follow so this includes a mixture of days, nights and weekends.

I know in my trust they allow us 4 days per rota that we can request off but you are expected to be available every other day if needed. This varies from trust to trust though so your trust may not have this option.

It's tough going when trying to navigate a part-time job too but unfortunately a nursing degree is difficult and it takes a lot to reach the 2300 hours set by the NMC.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending