The Student Room Group

Child Nursing

Hey, I've applied for Child Nursing for Sept '24, and I just wanted to gain a bit of insight into the difficulty of the degree, physically? The reason I'm asking is because I have Cerebral Palsy and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and I know under the reasonable adjustments I can opt to do half days, but I'm just wondering if it's particularly difficult?
Hi there,

All students require a fitness-to-practice assessment before beginning the course, and Occupational Health carries this out. This will cover vaccination status and if you are physically able to carry out the role.
You will need to cover manual handling techniques as part of mandatory training, and this includes the use of equipment such as hoists, slide sheets, etc.

Depending on which university, it is commonplace for 1.5 hours maximum of travelling one way to placement, and placements can last anything from 4 weeks to 3 months, depending on your university of choice. I recommend you discuss this with the universities you are interested in applying to.

Sometimes, this can be physically demanding depending on the situation, so it is best that you have a chat with the universities and enquire.

Best of luck
Nat - 2nd year BSc Adult Nursing
Original post by Mplh-x
Hey, I've applied for Child Nursing for Sept '24, and I just wanted to gain a bit of insight into the difficulty of the degree, physically? The reason I'm asking is because I have Cerebral Palsy and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and I know under the reasonable adjustments I can opt to do half days, but I'm just wondering if it's particularly difficult?

Hi,

I would recommend contacting the universities you are applying to and explaining your situation to them as they may be able to advise you on what would be best for you.

As others have said, each student requires a fitness to practice assessment and occupational health reviews before commencing on the course as they need to determine if the course and placements are safe for both you and your patients.

If OH declare you fit for practice, they will often make adjustments specific for you that will enable you to complete your course to the best of your ability. However, placements are very busy and tiring so you have to take that into consideration when deciding if it is the right career for you. You often have to travel an hour or so to placement, and then usually have a 12 hour shift on top of your travel so the long days can be very tiring but also rewarding when you realise all you’ve achieved during the day.

As I said, I would contact the university you’re thinking of applying to and asking to speak to someone in the nursing department to see if they have any recommendations and advice.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children’s Nursing)
Original post by Mplh-x

What universities have you applied to and what have they said?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending