The Student Room Group

Self study? Help?

Hey there :smile:

I'm wanting to study medicine but I'm worrying my current qualifications aren't up to scratch. I'm hoping to self study Biology A level and sit both the AS and A level exams next summer.
Does anybody know how I can do this without paying the £300-£400 most distance learning courses ask for?
Is it possible for me to find the specification, learn it all myself, and then just find somewhere that'll allow me to sit the exams?
Also! If the course has practical work do I HAVE to do it?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by MeganAlysha98

I'm wanting to study medicine but I'm worrying my current qualifications aren't up to scratch. I'm hoping to self study Biology A level and sit both the AS and A level exams next summer.
Does anybody know how I can do this without paying the £300-£400 most distance learning courses ask for?
Is it possible for me to find the specification, learn it all myself, and then just find somewhere that'll allow me to sit the exams?

That would be possible but you will have to do the practical work.
Original post by MeganAlysha98

Yes that is possible, very achievable in fact. The problem is coursework/practicals - exam centres are unlikely to mark coursework or let you do experiments (although it is always work asking). Ideally you need to do an A level specification that is 100% exam based. I think Edexcel's 9BN0 (Biology A, Salters-Nuffield) is all exam based, but check with the exam board to be sure.

Awh claire answered first :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm self teaching the A2, and there's no reason why you can't (with a lot of work) self teach the AS and A2. But as others have said, most have some practical/coursework element to them. I was lucky my school are allowing me to go in to sit the 2 exams and to do the practical. Not sure how many colleges/exam centres would be willing to do so without charging
Original post by loganley
I'm self teaching the A2, and there's no reason why you can't (with a lot of work) self teach the AS and A2. But as others have said, most have some practical/coursework element to them. I was lucky my school are allowing me to go in to sit the 2 exams and to do the practical. Not sure how many colleges/exam centres would be willing to do so without charging

My college let me do that too. But yes its just the practical bit that is the issue for self studying people :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending