The Student Room Group

Self-funded study and the student loan

Hi there,
My son has been out of education for a while but now wishes to return as a mature student.

To get back into practise for studying he has recently completed an adult education history course which he self-funded. The unit he studied counts for half of a Higher Education Certificate course.

My questions are about his eligibility for a student loan and the number of years he could get funding for: As he has only studied half of the Certificate course and as he would be applying for a degree course, I think that he would still be eligible, particularly as the degree is a higher qualification than the certificate - is that correct?

Also, in the number of years of funding calculation, does the 'number of years of previous study' include self-funded study or only years funded by a student loan?

Finally, can you split the years of your funding across more than one institution - say if he were to study for a Diploma in HE in one place and then 'top-up' to a degree in another?

Many thanks for any info you can provide.
Original post by sscholan1
Hi there,
My son has been out of education for a while but now wishes to return as a mature student.

To get back into practise for studying he has recently completed an adult education history course which he self-funded. The unit he studied counts for half of a Higher Education Certificate course.

My questions are about his eligibility for a student loan and the number of years he could get funding for: As he has only studied half of the Certificate course and as he would be applying for a degree course, I think that he would still be eligible, particularly as the degree is a higher qualification than the certificate - is that correct?

Also, in the number of years of funding calculation, does the 'number of years of previous study' include self-funded study or only years funded by a student loan?

Finally, can you split the years of your funding across more than one institution - say if he were to study for a Diploma in HE in one place and then 'top-up' to a degree in another?

Many thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi there,

The previous study years are taken into account rather than previous funding so this will be taken into account. Yes, he can top up to a degree if he wishes. I have provided a link that will help with this however, if he applies for his desired course, the assessors will let him know if he is eligible.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

The previous study years are taken into account rather than previous funding so this will be taken into account. Yes, he can top up to a degree if he wishes. I have provided a link that will help with this however, if he applies for his desired course, the assessors will let him know if he is eligible.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Thanks, Clare

Thanks for the quick reply Clare.

As his self-funded course was only one unit (60credits) part-time over the last year, and so he has not been awarded any qualification for it, does it still count in the number of years calculation for funding?

Thanks,
Sue
Original post by sscholan1
Thanks for the quick reply Clare.

As his self-funded course was only one unit (60credits) part-time over the last year, and so he has not been awarded any qualification for it, does it still count in the number of years calculation for funding?

Thanks,
Sue

Hi Sue,

Yes, that is still used in the calculation.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending