The Student Room Group

Easy A-level to self study?

Hi,

I want to do three A-levels in one year; Mathematics, Spanish, and one that's easy to pass. I can choose from the following:

Accounting
Biology
Business Studies
Economics
English Language
English Literature
French
History
Law
Mathematics (Pure)
Mathematics (Pure and Statistics)
Mathematics (Pure and Applied)
Psychology
Sociology
Spanish

What is the difference between Cambridge Pre U and A Levels? Which one would be easier/simpler/cheaper to study in one year? I am from Norway, by the way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey :smile:
First up, I can only speak from experience, having done Geography, Economics, French, History & Russian.

There's also a few subjects on there that I wouldn't bother doing an a-level in (accounting, business studies, english language, law, sociology) because not all universities 'respect' them if that makes sense? I don't necessarily agree with the unis on that, but it's definitely true that places like Oxbridge don't always accept those subjects.
Economics is doable- or at least OCR's A-level economics would be. If you end up taking that, then I'd definitely look at the resources on Tutor2you, our teacher used those & they served me very well. You might have to pay for some of them, but it's so worth it.
French could probably be done as well, the only bit where you might run into trouble is the speaking- not so much in terms of the quality of your language, but they can be quite specific with what they want. If there's someone that can help you out with that, then French can be self-studied.
History=bad idea. Really bad. Don't self-study that. Ever. nope. You might understand the events, but the way they mark the exams is so bizarre, you definitely need a teacher for that.

Not too sure on the difference between pre-U and A levels, I can't really help you there, sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest