The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Mental illness/disability??

Hi,

I am going to York in September, and I was wondering if I should tell the university about having OCD.

The thing is, I don't want to claim disability loans or anything, as I can't think of any reason why I would need extra expenses. However, things like my own room (especially my own bathroom) would be really really helpful - for me getting ready for bed can take hours and is usually the time when I am most stressed/anxious. But I am worried that it will sound like I am just using OCD as an excuse to get better accommodation. I know I don't need it as much as someone who has a more severe problem, but at the same time I know it would really help me.

How would I go about telling York? I know they have a disability service, but I don't really consider myself disabled as such - although some days my mental health can affect me to the point where I can't really do daily tasks like cooking or going to lectures. But other days I am fine - so it's not like a consistent disability. Would I still need to register as having a disability? If so, would I need an updated doctor's note or would a diagnosis from 3 years ago be enough?

Anyone else at York uni with OCD or another mental illness?

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much x
I only have anecdotal evidence, but people I know who qualified for picking specific accommodation range from needing their own bathroom because of eczema to needing self-catered accommodation because of diabetes. Basically, if there's an accommodation type that would make life easier for you and you have any kind of preexisting condition, they will help you get what you need. Definitely get in touch with both accommodation services and disability services (even if you don't consider yourself disabled this is the kind of thing they deal with), they're all lovely and they can give you better advice than I can - however, I would imagine you would qualify for accommodation allowances.
University of York
York
Original post by MozForever
Hi,

I am going to York in September, and I was wondering if I should tell the university about having OCD.

The thing is, I don't want to claim disability loans or anything, as I can't think of any reason why I would need extra expenses. However, things like my own room (especially my own bathroom) would be really really helpful - for me getting ready for bed can take hours and is usually the time when I am most stressed/anxious. But I am worried that it will sound like I am just using OCD as an excuse to get better accommodation. I know I don't need it as much as someone who has a more severe problem, but at the same time I know it would really help me.

How would I go about telling York? I know they have a disability service, but I don't really consider myself disabled as such - although some days my mental health can affect me to the point where I can't really do daily tasks like cooking or going to lectures. But other days I am fine - so it's not like a consistent disability. Would I still need to register as having a disability? If so, would I need an updated doctor's note or would a diagnosis from 3 years ago be enough?

Anyone else at York uni with OCD or another mental illness?

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much x

Hiya,

Our Accommodation team will be able to help you find a room that's best suited to your needs and the Student Support team will be able to offer advice and support as and when you need it.

When you come to apply for accommodation on the 9 May, there is a section in the application for you to put any additional requirements, for example an ensuite room for a health or welfare reason such as your own. At the same time in the application you can upload some supporting evidence from a doctor/consultant (In this case a diagnosis from 3 years ago would be fine). You can see more information in section 3 on How to Apply. Once you have submitted your application the accommodation team will get in touch with you to talk more about your needs and what the best room for you is.

You should make sure you fill this section of the application in and don't wait until you get offered a room as we might then not be able to give you what you need.

Our Student Support team offer great help and advice whenever you need it. You can see more about support and welfare on their disability support page. If you want to talk to someone before you get here you can email them at [email protected].

If you have any questions for the Accommodation team you can either email them on [email protected] or talk to someone directly through the live chat on the accommodation web pages.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Annie
Tell them. It's in your best interests to declare it whether you're asking for help or not. Remember you could change your mind in the future or need that help then.
Reply 4
To offer a somewhat different perspective....

I wouldn't declare it if you are accepted into a Law course, or perhaps any other course with a Fitness to Practice component. York may not care, but I wouldn't advise leaving a paper trail for any future regulatory bodies.
Reply 5
I feel I should let you know that the GMC, who I'll assume operate a similar FtP system as any governing body in Law, have a policy that allows someone with a mental health issue to continue with studies and practice provided the condition is not so acute that 'reasonable adjustments' cannot alleviate the practical issues. A flowchart of the correct procedure to use as advised by the GMC is available at
http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/26608.asp and a Myth-buster section detailing common misconceptions of the FtP system is available at
http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/26588.asp . Mental health issues do affect a great proportion of the population, and most instances do not render someone unfit to practise. Provided the individual case doesn't impede your ability, then there is no reason you cannot practice law with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending