The Student Room Group

San Andreas...overrated?

Hey all. I was having a discussion with my friend about the best gta. I said vice city - boy that game was the bomb, and he said san andreas.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay itself was very good, but the graphics were TERRIBLE! - why on earth did they take out that trailing effect when your character/car moved?

Considering how big the game was i don't see how 100 missions was ample enough either...

what do you all think? grand theft auto: san andreas, is it overrated?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think its over-rated at all. Its got plenty to do.
Reply 2
I played it on the PS2 and the graphics were CRAP! It's so much better on the PC.
I played pretty much all GTA games recently and I hate them. They're all overrated. What's so good about mindlessly highjacking vehicles and killing people with weaponry? I really don't get it.
i thought it was brilliant. far more to do than GTA 3 and Vice City.
Reply 5
I agree vice city was so much better. If you take away the little extras such as swimming etc. vice city is leagues ahead. Its just more fun (plus the music is WAY better :P)
BlakDog
I agree vice city was so much better. If you take away the little extras such as swimming etc. vice city is leagues ahead. Its just more fun (plus the music is WAY better :P)

omg vc music was so good. unrivaled by any game imo.
Reply 7
GTA 3 definitely had the best storyline and the most interesting missions IMO. The part in San Andreas where you're stuck in the countryside was sooo boring though and slightly tarnished the great game. VC music was immense though!!
Reply 8
Every GTA game, overrated.

Well, apart from the first.
Reply 9
I was going to buy the soundtrack after my vice city game got sat on (broke into 3 :frown:), but could never find it.
I've got to admit preferring Vice City, but that doesn't mean I don't like San Andreas nor necessarily that it is overrated. It depends what you're comparing it to. If it's the other GTA games, then you're comparing it to some magnificent games in their own right, whereas if you compare it to the rest of the games out there, I think it still stands up very well indeed as a unique title.
i beg to differ i think they were all quality...the one thing i do agree on is that i was hugely disappointed when i finally completed the game..even if it did mean spedning days trying to complete the thing i just felt it wasnt enough!!
Yeah, it is overrated. I find it quite a hollow experience, actually because, even though there's a massive landscape to explore, there's bugger all to do. It creates the impression that there's a lot to do but all you need do is scratch the surface and you find out that, actually, there's very little interactivity to be had. It's quite dark to look at, as well; 'Vice City' in all it's gaudiness and Florida sunshine was very bright and colourful to behold, but I find 'San Andreas' too dark (quite depressingly so, as it happens to be.)

There were too many rumours of things that never appeared in the game (some by fantasist journalists), and after you got over the shock and excitement of playing the finished game the overall effect of the game wore off pretty quickly. There's some beautifully done cut scenes, and a few cool missions (not including those bloody pilot training missions (Goddammit!!!)), and the main storyline was quite fresh in it's darkness and in being more emotional than usual, but after you've finished with that you just get the feeling that there's very little reason to continue playing it.

Having the character be black was a bold move and worked very well (I don't think you see that many black lead characters in games), but the setting of 90's L.A. gangsta culture inhibited the sense of fun in the game and they obviously couldn't find as much to take the piss out of, as they did for Vice. Plus, they weren't as over-the-top with sexual innuendos as they usually are, so that spoiled the fun, a bit.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a cool game and had many new, cool features in it, such as the eating, clothes, arcade games (fantastic, and an indication of the innovative size of the game), the ability to mod cars, ability to take pictures (one of the most important new features of ANY GTA game) etc, but the end result was just....missing something. In the end, I don't think they had the memory or the time to include all the features they could've done (and that there was said to have been), and as a result got too overambitious with size and thought that a relative sprinkling of hands-on gameplay would satiate players when, in actual fact, it just wasn't enough and the game ultimate felt like being a bit of a let down, and that it wasn't nearly half as good as it could've been.
The engine in SA is greatly improved over VC, when you play them in that order it just feels so slow and clunky. And the bigger scale of SA takes the biscuit for me.
Reply 14
If Rock* didn't include all these n word this n word that then I would say that GTA: SA would be up there in terms of raising the bar for these type of games as Rock* did actually push the PS2 to limit whilst developing this game.So no i don't think GTA: SA is overated but if it had more missions and a slightly better storyline SA could have been a lot better than it is.
I don't like the use of the 'n' word either, but it is a colloquial term used between black men in L.A. and it wouldn't really have been a realistic depiction of that environment if they hadn't of used it.
Reply 16
loved SA but its difficult to improve on the excellent games they made ie VC, couldnt make the best game better, likewise for GTA !V, i think many fans were disappointed
But the storylines are crap, especially for SA- flying the jetpack! and all over the GTA series theres at least 5 backstabs in the story
Reply 17
VC was imo better than san an, better music, better sized area (god san an bored me with the hrs of mindless travel) oh and the setting was better, never been a big fan of the boiy in da hoood sorta gang stuff, but a good scareface rip off floats my boat
Maniacal Mr. Monocle
Yeah, it is overrated. I find it quite a hollow experience, actually because, even though there's a massive landscape to explore, there's bugger all to do. It creates the impression that there's a lot to do but all you need do is scratch the surface and you find out that, actually, there's very little interactivity to be had. It's quite dark to look at, as well; 'Vice City' in all it's gaudiness and Florida sunshine was very bright and colourful to behold, but I find 'San Andreas' too dark (quite depressingly so, as it happens to be.)

There were too many rumours of things that never appeared in the game (some by fantasist journalists), and after you got over the shock and excitement of playing the finished game the overall effect of the game wore off pretty quickly. There's some beautifully done cut scenes, and a few cool missions (not including those bloody pilot training missions (Goddammit!!!)), and the main storyline was quite fresh in it's darkness and in being more emotional than usual, but after you've finished with that you just get the feeling that there's very little reason to continue playing it.

Having the character be black was a bold move and worked very well (I don't think you see that many black lead characters in games), but the setting of 90's L.A. gangsta culture inhibited the sense of fun in the game and they obviously couldn't find as much to take the piss out of, as they did for Vice. Plus, they weren't as over-the-top with sexual innuendos as they usually are, so that spoiled the fun, a bit.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a cool game and had many new, cool features in it, such as the eating, clothes, arcade games (fantastic, and an indication of the innovative size of the game), the ability to mod cars, ability to take pictures (one of the most important new features of ANY GTA game) etc, but the end result was just....missing something. In the end, I don't think they had the memory or the time to include all the features they could've done (and that there was said to have been), and as a result got too overambitious with size and thought that a relative sprinkling of hands-on gameplay would satiate players when, in actual fact, it just wasn't enough and the game ultimate felt like being a bit of a let down, and that it wasn't nearly half as good as it could've been.

Outstanding post. :smile: That's a thorough, comprehensive argument. :smile:
it might be because i played them in the wrong order after only getting a pc powerful enough to play them all in 2005, but i think San andreas is the best of the lot BY FAR. playing vice city just felt clunky and dated in comparison and i missed all the things in san andreas. GTA 3 was even worse, i stopped playing that before i even got to the second island. San andreas remains one of my favourite games ever to this date.

Latest