The Student Room Group

Using shorthand for science GCSE

Heyy if I write things like ‘temp.’ for temperature or (in physics) write ‘I’ for current, would I get the marks or would they penalise me? It’s just something I’ve got into the habit of so if they wouldn’t accept it, gotta stop writing it.

*probs wrong forum idk which one to do*
Reply 1
I'd avoid doing it in extended or longer answers. But it should be fine for working out. I've lost many marks for abbreviations etc.
Original post by pinkbacon1437
Heyy if I write things like ‘temp.’ for temperature or (in physics) write ‘I’ for current, would I get the marks or would they penalise me? It’s just something I’ve got into the habit of so if they wouldn’t accept it, gotta stop writing it.

If you're using abbreviations in formula/shorter marked questions it would probably be fine but in longer mark ones I would put the word first & then in brackets put the abbreviation eg. Sino-atrial node (SAN) and then you could just use SAN throughout. Although, I would stay away from just saying 'temp' although its much quicker you could get marked down so just try and get into the habit of writing things out in full, unless you are stating what the word is and then putting the abbreviation in brackets :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mintchocchip

Temp would not work as it can be considered "temporary", so that must be in the long form. However I would say for values such as I and V and t and Q, they will be understood and accepted instead of the long form "potential difference" to save you a bit of time. Of course, ask your teachers and refer to mark schemes, as I am speculating here.

Quick Reply

Latest