The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rich2606
it might be because i played them in the wrong order after only getting a pc powerful enough to play them all in 2005, but i think San andreas is the best of the lot BY FAR. playing vice city just felt clunky and dated in comparison and i missed all the things in san andreas. GTA 3 was even worse, i stopped playing that before i even got to the second island. San andreas remains one of my favourite games ever to this date.

Totaly agree with you. GTA 3 is about a guy that doesnt speak at ALL. ViceCity does not have good surroundings and the drowning is very unrealistic imo. Also the graphics are worse than SA graphs. SanAndreas has a big storyline, is the most realistic because the whole mafia gang style did worn out by time. Rock* made SanAndreas because the Mafia storyline was already made. Also I love it that you can go to other places such as a farm or LasVegas kinda place. Also pickin up those Ho's isn't to bad as well:eek:. Also the gym is very good because it sums up that SA is more realistic because you can eat and get fat, get less fat by running etc etc. Also did anyone notice the guy in GTA 3 in SA? He was the guy in the farm after you won the race and he took off with the obsessed chick.
Reply 21
I think Vice City is the overrated one. San Andreas is much larger with loads more to do.

I play the PC versions of GTA and the camera is locked right behind the car in VC, you can't rotate it with the mouse, which makes it feel ancient.
Reply 22
I played vice city and was hooked to it. It was too damn good. After a few days San Andrease came out, I installed it with and played for about 2 hours till date. Never felt like opening my pc and play it again. I guess after vice city I hoped for a lot more which SA failed to deliver.
Reply 23
ITS NOT OVERRATED ONE BIT! Its one of the best games ever... Hands down! One of the best... lol Its in the top ten, Id say, if you dont believe me take a look at any gaming website...

That being said, it could definitely have been improved, better graphics, more missions... But overall i think its a wicked game! You can play it for hours without gettin bored! And lets face it, if you do... Go into a crowded area, pull out your Gat and start bustinnn!!!
Vice City had awesome music, best soundtrack since FFVII in my opinion. But it was my least favourite PS2 GTA. I thought the map was too flat. I had lots of fun in GTAIII in Shoreside Vale and GTASA had a very varied map which I liked lots. I think the missions got better with the latest game so SA's missions had more depth than VC and likewise VC with III. GTAIII also had that "wow" factor because before I played that I had a PS1. Running around with six stars had lost a lot of its fun factor by VC, and III had a fun plane whereas VC's was crap.

But yeah the map and ability to explore it is what I like most about GTAs. VC was just flat with lots of buildings, water and sand. That's fair enough and I suppose expected because it was based on Miami, but that's why it didn't appeal to me as much. SA had everything and while I agree it could have had more missions I don't feel what was there was over-rated. At the time of release it seemed like a step up in gaming, but nowhere near as much as GTAIII.
Reply 25
I got bored of it after a week or so. :s:
Reply 26
San Andreas was as good if not better than they hype suggested. Vice City, however, remains the king.
Reply 27
Cage
Vice City, however, remains the king.

That I agree on. I find that Vice City's storyline was more engaging with less jumping around etc. and sudden changes in the plot - something I found happened too much for my liking in San Andreas.

The build up from street thug to top dog in the city in Vice City, for me, ran far more smoothly than San Andreas.
Reply 28
danglenister
That I agree on. I find that Vice City's storyline was more engaging with less jumping around etc. and sudden changes in the plot - something I found happened too much for my liking in San Andreas.

The build up from street thug to top dog in the city in Vice City, for me, ran far more smoothly than San Andreas.

Indeed, even if pretty much the whole thing IS directly nicked from Scarface lol.
Reply 29
Cage
Indeed, even if pretty much the whole thing IS directly nicked from Scarface lol.

It's a good film so why not :biggrin:
Reply 30
Vice City had better narrative cohesion; San Andreas has better graphics, superlative realism, infinitely greater replay value, and is otherwise (not least, from a 'sandbox' perspective) overwhelmingly superior.
Personally I think its the freedom of letting the player do what they want pretty much is what people like.
Reply 32
mysteryman
Personally I think its the freedom of letting the player do what they want pretty much is what people like.

Personally, I prefer to get engrossed in the plot which I think Vice City delivers better than San Andreas.
Reply 33
riux
Hey all. I was having a discussion with my friend about the best gta. I said vice city - boy that game was the bomb, and he said san andreas.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay itself was very good, but the graphics were TERRIBLE! - why on earth did they take out that trailing effect when your character/car moved?

Considering how big the game was i don't see how 100 missions was ample enough either...

what do you all think? grand theft auto: san andreas, is it overrated?

It was alright, was certainly soemthing different. GTA3 was by far the best GTA for me though.

Latest