The Student Room Group

What is the difference between libertarianism & soft determinism?

im really confused by the distinction! beause if i get a question (doing ocr) about explaining soft determanism i'd want to contrast hard determanism with libertarianism and then outline how soft determanism if in between them.. but i dont get how:s-smilie: libertarianism seems the same because they accept that some aspects of things are predetermind (like personality as a result from upbringing) but not our moral self. how is a soft determist different?

thanks will rep best answer!
Reply 1
The libertarian believes that though some elements of the personality are defiend by external factors this will only increase our disposition toward the completion of an action and never ensure that said action will occur. This disposition can always be overriden by the moral self. Thus, the libertarian argues an agent can always 'step out nature' and make a decision which runs contrary to the tendancy of thier personality. Cambell describes this as a 'casually undetermined choice'.

Conversely, a soft determinist takes a determinsitic view and argues all human actions are caused. A a 'free' action is simply one which is determined by internal causes such as the desires and the beliefs of an individual. Rather than an action dictated by external pressure, such as signing a confession because the police beat you.

The essential difference is that the Libertarian believes the laws of cause and effect can be overriden.
Reply 2
I should add to that a libertarian believes that even when under the compulsions of an external cause you make a free choice. Thus if the police beat you until you sign a confession - you still make the choice to the sign the confession. The Soft Determinist believes that in that case signing the confession would not be an act of free will, but something which happens because of an external cause.

Latest

Trending

Trending