The Student Room Group

advice needed -

I am a 3rd year student with 5 weeks left of my degree course, I have suffered this year with anxiety, depression and a disinterest and dislike of my course.

My attendance for my final year has been terrible and I have not been to a tutorial since the new year, my tutor initially showed interest and concern and after explaining why I wasn't attending she has since not made any attempts to contact me.

I am trying to continue on with the remainder of my coursework at home as I have 5 weeks left I don't see the point in not submitting anything - I am on an arts course so I do not have exams to do luckily and i submitted my dissertation already. This year I have only attended and submitted things that I know are compulsory. The last contact I had with my tutor she said from what she has seen of my work she estimates a 3rd/2:2 grade to end the year but that was months ago and I have done much more work since then.

I am stuck as what to do now, i feel like i've withdrawn myself too far to go back but I also just want to pass my degree and move on with my life. Can I just carry on the way i'm going and get this 5 weeks done to the best of my ability? I am anxious already about a presentation I will have to give in 5 weeks to get a grade for it, i will feel really self conscious that my tutors are aware I haven't been fully present in months.

thanks for any help
Original post by CarlyStrawberry
I am a 3rd year student with 5 weeks left of my degree course, I have suffered this year with anxiety, depression and a disinterest and dislike of my course.

My attendance for my final year has been terrible and I have not been to a tutorial since the new year, my tutor initially showed interest and concern and after explaining why I wasn't attending she has since not made any attempts to contact me.

I am trying to continue on with the remainder of my coursework at home as I have 5 weeks left I don't see the point in not submitting anything - I am on an arts course so I do not have exams to do luckily and i submitted my dissertation already. This year I have only attended and submitted things that I know are compulsory. The last contact I had with my tutor she said from what she has seen of my work she estimates a 3rd/2:2 grade to end the year but that was months ago and I have done much more work since then.

I am stuck as what to do now, i feel like i've withdrawn myself too far to go back but I also just want to pass my degree and move on with my life. Can I just carry on the way i'm going and get this 5 weeks done to the best of my ability? I am anxious already about a presentation I will have to give in 5 weeks to get a grade for it, i will feel really self conscious that my tutors are aware I haven't been fully present in months.

thanks for any help

hi, firstly sorry to hear about your health (I have also experienced suffering during my last year of degree so know what its like) and hope you get well soon.

The advantage to your degree is that coursework only in a way means you dont have to worry about revising for exam (unless its practical coursework - I have no idea what art you study).
regarding anxiety, depression : try and identify the root of the anxiety and depression. with the disinterest and dislike, remember 5 weeks is a month. a month of coursework is surprisingly not too bad (vs revision for exams), especially if it is 1 piece you have to hand in. if it is mutliple pieces, get the small ones done first and then the big and go through it (you go through it a few times, ask someone like a teacher or non-classmate to double check /observe it for errors, and then go through it).

additionally, book an appointment with your teacher. ask what you want to ask and ask them about what criteria is expected from your c/w & to observe your c/w and ask how to improve it...if possible(even a few hints and tips from personal experience is enough to elevate coursework that is at 3rd territory to ~80-85%)
Reply 2
Original post by CarlyStrawberry

Can I just carry on the way i'm going and get this 5 weeks done to the best of my ability? I am anxious already about a presentation I will have to give in 5 weeks to get a grade for it, i will feel really self conscious that my tutors are aware I haven't been fully present in months.

All you can do at this stage is to submit your coursework and prepare for your presentation. They need to be outstanding pieces of work. Yes, your tutors may be aware of your absence record at the presentation. All the more reason to make it good and present confidently showing that you have been undertaking private study instead of attending.

With only 5 weeks remaining you may as well give it a good try. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending