The Student Room Group

Anyone doing/done a philosophy degree at uni??

I'm in year 12 doing my AS levels and I'm planning on doing geography at uni, because I enjoy it and it has good career prospects, but philosophy is where my true passion lies (I'm doing philosophy and ethics a level).

I was looking at philosophy degrees at Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Newcastle. I really really enjoy philosophy, though i sometimes find it difficult. Just wanted some advice on anyone that has studied or is studying it at degree level and the difficulty? Also is the workload a lot more than other subjects? (I'm predicted AAAC for my AS levels)

Should I just stick with geography as it's a safer option or do I take the risk and do philosophy at uni? The last thing I want is to get a place doing a philosophy degree at uni and end up finding it too much :frown:

** also, how much reading is involved?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by trufflexo
I'm in year 12 doing my AS levels and I'm planning on doing geography at uni, because I enjoy it and it has good career prospects, but philosophy is where my true passion lies (I'm doing philosophy and ethics a level).

I was looking at philosophy degrees at Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Newcastle. I really really enjoy philosophy, though i sometimes find it difficult. Just wanted some advice on anyone that has studied or is studying it at degree level and the difficulty? Also is the workload a lot more than other subjects? (I'm predicted AAAC for my AS levels)

Should I just stick with geography as it's a safer option or do I take the risk and do philosophy at uni? The last thing I want is to get a place doing a philosophy degree at uni and end up finding it too much :frown:

** also, how much reading is involved?

hi ive just finished year 12 and will be applying to uni in a few months time.i have decided to study philosophy at uni because i havent decided my career path and sl i want to keep my options open. philosophy gives unique skills which no other subject gives and employers very much value it. also ive done it at AS level and will carry onto A2. id day to do whatever you enjoy more. (i was going to do psychology as it has more career prospects but i found philosophy more interesting - i might end up doing a combined degree whjch is something you can consider as it lets yo get the best of both subjects) however one disadvantage of combined/double honours is that you doing go it the sane amount of detail as with single honours so idk. hop i helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending