The Student Room Group

Philosophy at university!!!

Firstly, I'm predicted BBB at A-Level but I see myself getting Cs and Ds so I'm certainly not applying to a high end uni. I'm looking into Essex, this is my lowest one as it doesn't seem totally nice, Royal Holloway, UEA, and Aberdeen for philosophy and possibly literature in the future. At first I was certain I would go to RoHo as it's beautiful and small but the more research I do the more I realise that it's not exactly a very good uni, I'm not sure what to really pick!
I want to go on in academia and become a professor at some point so that's something but my grades are so low and I don't see them rising any time soon so I'm unsure what university will be the best!
I've been looking at rankings of the unis and their philosophical standing but I'm still unsure if RoHo will set me up properly in the future, one day I'd like to do a PhD at Cambridge or Oxford

Thank you for any replies!
Reply 1
RH might not be a very 'good' university (whatever that means these days) but their philosophy dept is actually strong, especially for 'Continental' stuff and the relationship between anglophone analytic phil and its Continental counterpart - I think Dan Whistler is still a Professor there and he's a leading authority on Schelling, for example. He is very, very good. They also have people like Rebecca Roach, Oli Spinney, and Neil Gascoigne, all very, very good.

As with anything when looking at these programmes, it ultimately depends what you want to study and what you want out of that study. The strengths of Holloway might not suit you, and in that case, looking at the course content elsewhere would be beneficial. See what grabs your fancy, piques your interest, tickles your pickle about the curricula elsewhere: first year is broadly the same across all institutions, and you'll get a grounding in logic (including propositional logic, usually), Greek phil, and early European phil, so second and third year options are really what you want to pay attention to.

With a view to future DPhils and PhDs, your undergrad uni won't make a huge difference so long as you get a first and a distinction at Master's (Oxon and Cantab are more particular on this stuff than the majority of other institutions). I was going to go on one about the job market and how difficult it is to break into full-time work, especially in good departments, but there is plenty of time for you to worry about that and you might be like me, who knew all this and just went ahead and did it anyway!

For some reassurance re grades, I have poor A Levels, including a fail. I eventually read at a good phil dept at a middling RG institution, where I completed three degrees including a PhD with one of the leading authorities in the world in my research area. The grades are not necessarily a be-all end-all, and there will be good opportunities in your first year to really get to grips with what academic writing is like at university (much different than at A Level, and all the better for it). My advice here is twofold - don't sell yourself short; don't get hung up on 'what if I can't do it'. I've also read at Oxford for a postgrad (and might yet read again for another later this year) and it's much like any other university in terms of the mechanics of things and the workload at postgraduate level.

My own 'letters' just so you know I'm not talking total crap: BA (Hons) Philosophy, MA Philosophy, PhD Philosophy, PGCE Religion, PGCert Education
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Jfisnqoxka
Firstly, I'm predicted BBB at A-Level but I see myself getting Cs and Ds so I'm certainly not applying to a high end uni. I'm looking into Essex, this is my lowest one as it doesn't seem totally nice, Royal Holloway, UEA, and Aberdeen for philosophy and possibly literature in the future. At first I was certain I would go to RoHo as it's beautiful and small but the more research I do the more I realise that it's not exactly a very good uni, I'm not sure what to really pick!
I want to go on in academia and become a professor at some point so that's something but my grades are so low and I don't see them rising any time soon so I'm unsure what university will be the best!
I've been looking at rankings of the unis and their philosophical standing but I'm still unsure if RoHo will set me up properly in the future, one day I'd like to do a PhD at Cambridge or Oxford

Hiya @Jfisnqoxka !
In terms of Philosophy Essex is ranked Top 9 for overall positivity score in the UK ( National Student Survey 2023, English Broad Discipline Institutions) and Top 7 in the UK for research impact in philosophy(Grade Point Average, REF2021).🎓

At Essex, we take philosophy back to its roots in everyday existential, social, and political problems. We embrace the relevance of philosophy to other forms of enquiry - political, cultural, legal, medical, aesthetic and bring this to bear on urgent issues in public life, such as the controversial issues raised by mental health legislation or public policy regarding end of life care.
[start]We cover a wide range of topics from the meaning of life to capitalism and its critics, from ancient philosophy to current trends in European thought; and we have particular strengths in the areas of Ethics, Political philosophy, Philosophy of religion and European philosophy (including critical theory, phenomenology, and existentialism).📚[/start]

Our courses are taught by world-class academics and are known for our unique combination of Anglo-American and European philosophy, and as a leading centre for critical theory, phenomenology, German idealism and medical humanities.📜👩*🎓

With Philosophy degrees you are able to choose modules from other departments that help you complement our studies.

We offer the opportunity to study abroad or take a placement year and this is a great opportunity to travel the world and get experience employers are looking for.
We have a number of partnerships with universities from all around the world you can choose your place to study abroad from.🌍
Link Essex exchange finder: MoveON - Welcome to the Exchange Finder (moveon4.com)

We offer a careers team that is available all year around to give advice about CV's, job applications and much more.

I hope this information helps with our decision.
If you have any questions don't hesitate in contacting me.

Essex Official Rep- Cat😉

Hi there,

It’s great to hear you’re considering studying Philosophy at Royal Holloway! Based in the Department of Politics and International Relations and Philosophy, academic staff are not only dedicated teachers of the subject but also experts and published authorities in their fields. The range of subjects available to Philosophy students at Royal Holloway guarantees that there will be something on offer that really engages you during your time with us. Find out more about this course, our entry requirements and future career prospects here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/philosophy/philosophy/

Our campus is one of the most beautiful in the world with numerous teaching and study spaces, bars and cafés, high-quality accommodation, and sports facilities. Visit our campus and get a real feel for student life at one of our Open Days. You can find out more information on this page: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/visit-royal-holloway/open-days/

Our students know us better than anyone and can tell you all about life at Royal Holloway, from what the courses are like, to accommodation options and what’s available on campus! Chat to a current Philosophy student here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat/

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep

Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account. Thanks for your consideration! Let us know if you have more questions about our uni and courses, but wanted to chime in with some general advice on choices.

I would recommend having a look around this site for students of each of the unis you're interested in to see what the general consensus is.
It's also worth thinking about the cities and what appeals to you. Do you want to be close to or far away from family, do you want to be in a big or small city, are there things/places in that city that you're interested in or will be good for any hobbies you have; those sorts of factors should definitely be on your mind as well as the actual courses of each of the universities.
Then it would be worth having a look on each of our websites to see what appeals to you about the courses eg. course content, projects you will get to do through your degree, prospects upon graduation, that sort of thing. Understand that rankings will come into this for you but as someone has said above as long as you do well in your Undergraduate and Postgraduate this matters more for a PHD and uni lecturing than where you went specifically I feel.

I hope this information has been useful and all the best with coming to a decision!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Honestly I wouldn't bother. Competition to become professors and academics are fierce both in the UK and abroad. There is no guarantee that you will become a professor even if you do a PhD and there is also no guarantee that you will get any sort of job that uses your PhD.

I have a family member who gave up a career in academia because the wages were so low. She later became a pharmacist.
Reply 6
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Honestly I wouldn't bother. Competition to become professors and academics are fierce both in the UK and abroad. There is no guarantee that you will become a professor even if you do a PhD and there is also no guarantee that you will get any sort of job that uses your PhD.

I have a family member who gave up a career in academia because the wages were so low. She later became a pharmacist.

This is a legitimate concern, and I think I'm a pretty consistent advocate on here of 'going in with your eyes open'.

It's possible to get into academia in a few different ways but it is very, very hard. I'm at very good institution now, but I've been there three years and have barely taught anything - I take side gigs for other institutions to teach gaps in their curricula on an ad-hoc basis. This scratches my itch to teach, just about, but it's obviously not ideal. Prior to this job I was 7 years or so on zero hour contracts for crap hourly rates, teaching at Universities across the north of England. It is crazy. It's a position familiar to many of us.

Wages aren't great, but to be honest my wage is still good, especially when I factor in that I'm at home for 50% of the year - my time is more important to me than a more demanding gig with more money, so there's lots of factors.

PhDs for me should be done as a labour of love and not really with a view to a job. That is counter-intuitive to some people, especially given the opportunity cost of spending 3-4 years doing this instead of working. But for me it was not something I regretted.

As I say, there's lots to think about and you, OP, have plenty of time to do it.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
In my experience, Philosophy at degree level is very, very, difficult compared to Philosophy at A Level. But my experience was at University of York where mathematical notation / Logic was in the course from the very start. Perhaps not all universities are as uncompromising with the content. But I doubt that Philosophy at degree level for anyone getting less than 3 Bs will be an enjoyable venture for them or the tutors who try to teach them. Philosophy at A Level, on the other hand, is a very different matter and I found that very fun.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
Pretty much every undergraduate will have to do symbolic/prop/formal logic in their first year, even if they don't have to take it again in subsequent years.

I didn't get 3 Bs and did very well. I have taught plenty of students with worse than three Bs who have done well.
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
Pretty much every undergraduate will have to do symbolic/prop/formal logic in their first year, even if they don't have to take it again in subsequent years.

I didn't get 3 Bs and did very well. I have taught plenty of students with worse than three Bs who have done well.

I must admit that I am very worried going into philosophy as I'm not very good at maths and I haven't got loads of experience in the field, I do enjoy ideas and reading so that's something!
One concern is that I will fail because my grades are so poor now, I'm sitting at Bs and a couple of As (if I'm lucky, surprisingly I have work fairly hard to get them up since this post) but even so, philosophy seems incredibly scary from the sounds of it...

If you have any recommendations for improving this, or alleviating this fear, that would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply 10

In regard to wages, I don't really care too much as I want to teach because I like it but also because I'm autistic and my brain just kinda works that way! I will consider what you have said though, giving up completely I think is a terrible idea at my age (that being seventeen) as I haven't really lived yet- I haven't left college or anything yet! I will keep this comment in mind though!
Reply 11
I must admit that I am very worried going into philosophy as I'm not very good at maths and I haven't got loads of experience in the field, I do enjoy ideas and reading so that's something!
One concern is that I will fail because my grades are so poor now, I'm sitting at Bs and a couple of As (if I'm lucky, surprisingly I have work fairly hard to get them up since this post) but even so, philosophy seems incredibly scary from the sounds of it...

If you have any recommendations for improving this, or alleviating this fear, that would be greatly appreciated!!!

It doesn't make any significant difference, honestly - it just means you'll have to practice more when doing logic. I failed one A Level and scraped passes in 2 others and I did fine in a strong department. I went into it 6 ish years out of education, and didn't fail any units etc. If you're interested and have any sort of aptitude, you can make it work.
In regard to wages, I don't really care too much as I want to teach because I like it but also because I'm autistic and my brain just kinda works that way! I will consider what you have said though, giving up completely I think is a terrible idea at my age (that being seventeen) as I haven't really lived yet- I haven't left college or anything yet! I will keep this comment in mind though!

Yes, but you don't want to be in a minimum wage jobs when you have a PhD because you made stupid decisions when you were 17 :smile:
Reply 13
Yes, but you don't want to be in a minimum wage jobs when you have a PhD because you made stupid decisions when you were 17 :smile:

I don't know a single person from my PhD cohort who is making minimum wage.

Sure, there's other, more profitable routes. But PhDs on minimum wage is mainly the stuff of fanciful anecdote and is not a common reality.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14

Yeah, that's fair but I have a desire to learn and if that's the way my life will go then it will- I don't know the future and, honestly, I don't really want to. I'll go teach, learn, read, and write because that's what I do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending