The Student Room Group

I got accepted into King's college for an MA in philosophy, how good is it?

Hello, I want to ask is it reputable for philosophy, assuming I get a high distinction do I have a good chance to get into a top PhD program after that, and also get a job as an assistant researcher. What are my prospects, I previously studied my LLB at Queen Mary.
Reply 1
Getting a job isn't predicated on where you studied. The job market is absolutely dire and there are far from any promises, let alone guarantees.

It is bonkers to me that someone is seriously asking if King's is a good phil department. Yes, it is very good.

Any decent masters from just about anywhere in the country when coupled with a cool project proposal will get you into a 'top' PhD Programme, whatever that means. I have (excellent) BA and MA from a middling RG institution, albeit with a strong phil department and I had a DPhil offer from Oxon, if that's the type of thing you mean.
Original post by gjd800
Getting a job isn't predicated on where you studied. The job market is absolutely dire and there are far from any promises, let alone guarantees.

It is bonkers to me that someone is seriously asking if King's is a good phil department. Yes, it is very good.

Any decent masters from just about anywhere in the country when coupled with a cool project proposal will get you into a 'top' PhD Programme, whatever that means. I have (excellent) BA and MA from a middling RG institution, albeit with a strong phil department and I had a DPhil offer from Oxon, if that's the type of thing you mean.

Original post by gjd800

Thank you for your reply. The DPhil in Oxford can only be done if one does a bphil at Oxford, that's what it said on their website, so how did you do it if you did your MA elsewhere. I would really like to go to Oxford to do my PHD in Philosophy, if what your saying is true, I would like to do it. I don't have a BA in philosophy though, I have an LLB 2:1, 65.71% from City University of London, and an LLM in intellectual property law, finishing with a merit from Queen Mary University of London.

Assuming I get a very very high distinction at King's, in all individual modules I do there, with a good research proposal. Do I stand a good, average or bad chance to get an offer to do a DPhil at Oxford. Keeping in mind that my first degrees are non Philosophy related, and are not first classes, but rather 2:1's, (because I didn't like most of my legal studies and was not passionate about the subject). Will a very high distinction from King's, which is a very top university, put me in a good position to get an offer to study at Oxford for a PhD in philosophy, what do you think about this if you could kindly guide me, because I am very passionate about going down this path and becoming a philosopher, and seeing as you are philosopher, I trust what you have to say to me.

For the record, I got rejected by King's for Philosophy two times, on the 3rd try I got accepted, because of a good essay on phenomenology, and a very good personal statement. I will be starting in September.
Reply 3
Original post by Archie123100000
Thank you for your reply. The DPhil in Oxford can only be done if one does a bphil at Oxford, that's what it said on their website, so how did you do it if you did your MA elsewhere. I would really like to go to Oxford to do my PHD in Philosophy, if what your saying is true, I would like to do it. I don't have a BA in philosophy though, I have an LLB 2:1, 65.71% from City University of London, and an LLM in intellectual property law, finishing with a merit from Queen Mary University of London.

Assuming I get a very very high distinction at King's, in all individual modules I do there, with a good research proposal. Do I stand a good, average or bad chance to get an offer to do a DPhil at Oxford. Keeping in mind that my first degrees are non Philosophy related, and are not first classes, but rather 2:1's, (because I didn't like most of my legal studies and was not passionate about the subject). Will a very high distinction from King's, which is a very top university, put me in a good position to get an offer to study at Oxford for a PhD in philosophy, what do you think about this if you could kindly guide me, because I am very passionate about going down this path and becoming a philosopher, and seeing as you are philosopher, I trust what you have to say to me.

For the record, I got rejected by King's for Philosophy two times, on the 3rd try I got accepted, because of a good essay on phenomenology, and a very good personal statement. I will be starting in September.

That's not what it says on their website (even though the requirements have changed slightly since I started my doctorate 10 years or so ago).

I direct you to the second part of paragraph one: 'or an equivalent national or international qualification', which a Master's is.

Screenshot_20230717_201218_Chrome.jpg
Your Master's would satisfy criterion 1. Your undergrad is something of a potential issue because most people applying would have a first. Similarly, you'd need to demonstrate crossover and engagement with philosophy - there is usually good scope for this in law degrees. So there is no automatic bar to you. You could always email them and ask for further clarification.

Fwiw, I read at Oxford for another qualification after completing a doctorate and am still involved with my old College. I know for a fact that what I am saying is accurate
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Let's be honest Kings is reputable for everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending