The Student Room Group

Warwick/UCL/Bath - Business and Computer Science - Firm Choice?

So... 4 days from now I have to make my decision.

I received conditional offers from all of these universities (Warwick, UCL, Bath+KCL and Lancaster) and am still on the fence regarding my firm choice... any sugestions?

The courses are:

University of Bath - Computer Science with Business
UCL (University College London) - Information Management for Business
The University of Warwick - Information Systems Management and Innovation

Any tips would be appreciated.
Money is not an issue, neither is living in a big city vs small.
I am interested in academic skills, work opportunities and student lifestyle (the more fun the better :smile:) )
Reply 1
Really hoping for an answer guys :smile:
Original post by StudentNo13
So... 4 days from now I have to make my decision.

I received conditional offers from all of these universities (Warwick, UCL, Bath+KCL and Lancaster) and am still on the fence regarding my firm choice... any sugestions?

The courses are:

University of Bath - Computer Science with Business
UCL (University College London) - Information Management for Business
The University of Warwick - Information Systems Management and Innovation

Any tips would be appreciated.
Money is not an issue, neither is living in a big city vs small.
I am interested in academic skills, work opportunities and student lifestyle (the more fun the better :smile:) )

Bath is the only course I would respect out of those.. IMB and Info Systems have nothing to do with theoretical computer science.

I honestly would firm Bath for the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Bath is the only course I would respect out of those.. IMB and Info Systems have nothing to do with theoretical computer science.

I honestly would firm Bath for the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now, tbh, since I applied I realised I was actually looking for something more on the business side, so it was more between warwick and ucl for me.
Would you have any thoughts on which of the two courses are best for business?
Now, tbh, since I applied I realised I was actually looking for something more on the business side, so it was more between warwick and ucl for me.

Not much of a difference if I'm honest. I personally went for Warwick and turned down UCL due to costs, but it's up to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
Not much of a difference if I'm honest. I personally went for Warwick and turned down UCL due to costs, but it's up to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, you studied at warwick?
So, you studied at warwick?

Nah. Going there this Oct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I am a first year International Management student here at the University of Bath. I was in a similar position to yourself this time last year, with my focus being on the management course. I also held an offer from Warwick, and did not apply to UCL.

The School of Management is incredibly strong at Bath in my opinion. We have academics with great subject knowledge who are very approachable. I have had a thirty minute meetings with some lecturers to discuss coursework for example, it is great to be taught by approachable people. Some of the lecturers even know me by name, this again is becoming increasingly rare at many universities where course sizes are so large that not even course mates know each other. I often speak to employers who are shocked that everybody on my course knows each other.

It is evident that from an academic perspective, there are many front runners and that Bath is one of them. For that reason, I focused less on this when making my decisions. What differentiates Bath to me is that you gain far more than the academic perspective on management. There are plenty of opportunities to meet with employers, present, negotiate, and generally get involved. For that reason I can leave my first year feeling that I have good management knowledge but I also know how I can apply this practically to my career.

Employers respect this too, many have mentioned their desire to recruit Bath students purely because a degree from Bath represents more than just knowledge. Combined with the efforts of our placements teams (I am not too sure on the procedures for Computing and Management students) we are highly employable, which is a great position to be in.

In the University of Bath forums my colleague, Chris, has written a lot about his experiences with the Computer Science department. Please feel free to check that out!

Please let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck with your exams!

Hayden
Reply 8
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

I am a first year International Management student here at the University of Bath. I was in a similar position to yourself this time last year, with my focus being on the management course. I also held an offer from Warwick, and did not apply to UCL.

The School of Management is incredibly strong at Bath in my opinion. We have academics with great subject knowledge who are very approachable. I have had a thirty minute meetings with some lecturers to discuss coursework for example, it is great to be taught by approachable people. Some of the lecturers even know me by name, this again is becoming increasingly rare at many universities where course sizes are so large that not even course mates know each other. I often speak to employers who are shocked that everybody on my course knows each other.

It is evident that from an academic perspective, there are many front runners and that Bath is one of them. For that reason, I focused less on this when making my decisions. What differentiates Bath to me is that you gain far more than the academic perspective on management. There are plenty of opportunities to meet with employers, present, negotiate, and generally get involved. For that reason I can leave my first year feeling that I have good management knowledge but I also know how I can apply this practically to my career.

Employers respect this too, many have mentioned their desire to recruit Bath students purely because a degree from Bath represents more than just knowledge. Combined with the efforts of our placements teams (I am not too sure on the procedures for Computing and Management students) we are highly employable, which is a great position to be in.

In the University of Bath forums my colleague, Chris, has written a lot about his experiences with the Computer Science department. Please feel free to check that out!

Please let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck with your exams!

Hayden

Thank you for your reply, without a doubt, the university of bath was the more fun and engaging of the three. However, I prefered the course warwick provided, which is why I made it my firm choice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending