The Student Room Group

How many essays do you usually have to do in university?

I have seen many students complain about the hard work they have to face in university when doing essays. So I wanted to know how 'hard' it actually is, and especially for someone who is studying Astrophysics (which is what i want to follow).
If you study astrophysics then I'd imagine you won't be writing too many essays. It's likely to be majority exam based.
Reply 2
It will probably depend on university slightly as they will all use slightly different assessment combinations. In physics (and Astro by extension) will have very few essays; maths is the only degree I can think of that would have less. You will still have to do formal lab reports, normally 1 per semester. You will probably have to do 1 or more literature reviews in later years too. The big thing will be your final dissertation but you will be explaining physics, what you've done and problems you have encountered rather than trying to form a coherent argument like would be done in essays for arts subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on your course and the uni. And of course, if you're good at essays compared to exams. People who are not naturally good at writing and essays will find them harder,
I presume you'd mostly have exams? If you go on to the unistats website you can actually check the breakdown of assignments/exams on your course, if you enter the subject and the university you are hoping to attend. You can compare a range of universities just to get a rough idea.

For arts subjects, however, assignments are the norm; I have had 16 this year. Even if you do have a few assignments to do, you will get used to doing them over time and eventually you may even begin to enjoy doing them :biggrin:
I had at least one a week. Not gonna lie, got tough keeping up with that. Just make sure you prioritise the ones that count towards your overall grade and you'll be fine
Reply 6
Original post by Professor Oak
I had at least one a week. Not gonna lie, got tough keeping up with that. Just make sure you prioritise the ones that count towards your overall grade and you'll be fine

Didnt realise you had to write essays in Pallet town.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending