The Student Room Group

When you think about it, none of us are real...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daimonos
I mean people talk of humans having souls, i.e. having a level of existence beyond our physical bodies, but fundamentally every living and non-living thing is basically just a specific configuration of atoms (electrons, protons, neutrons) and specific electrical patterns generated by those atoms - electricity itself just being the discharge of electrons from those atoms.

In other words, what I am saying is, how can there be a soul, when your thoughts, your feelings, you dreams, your hopes and fears are each nothing more than a specific electrical pattern, and each and every human being is basically nothing more than a specific configuration of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms?

That is the case but there's something more than just matter. When a Neuron fires it creates an abstract image in our minds that we can then "mentally see" and reflect on.
If it were just matter, we would be able to replicate it simply.

We cannot yet. There's something more than chemicals and neurones otherwise nothing would happen. Where does consciousness come from then and why can't we replicate it? If it were the case then any chemical pot/tissue/ matter would be able to think.
That isn't the case- it's the Sum total of the neurones interacting with each other to create such a state that is our minds.

Think about it like Software and Hardware. Hardware is the neurones and atoms and sub atomic particles but Software runs atop this but can then change the Hardware. Physically you exist because the neurones shape the pathways created and "mentally".

*You may want to looks up a series called "The Brain by David Eagleman" It had 6 episodes and was produced by the BBC.
-Physically though your brain changes with your thoughts so theoretically this can be scanned and "rebooted" and an identical but different version of your mind could exist. It's being researched.

-Also a shout out to Quantum Consciousness that says that consciousness stems from the Quantum world based on quantum states existing in our brains.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by loveleest
No, I meant our lives are not superior to animals. We both live and die. There is no "afterlife" that a lot of people believe.

I wish/hope there isn't, or, I'm going to hell in every single religion :biggrin:
Reply 22
I mean people talk of humans having souls, i.e. having a level of existence beyond our physical bodies, but fundamentally every living and non-living thing is basically just a specific configuration of atoms (electrons, protons, neutrons) and specific electrical patterns generated by those atoms - electricity itself just being the discharge of electrons from those atoms.

In other words, what I am saying is, how can there be a soul, when your thoughts, your feelings, you dreams, your hopes and fears are each nothing more than a specific electrical pattern, and each and every human being is basically nothing more than a specific configuration of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms?

Your argument begs the question; you are asking "How could X possibly be true, given that X is false?".

The fact is is that the present intangibility of metaphysical reality does not imply that it does not exist. This is actually accepted even among scientists, at least those who don't forget the true basis of the scientific method.
Original post by lNurl
I wish/hope there isn't, or, I'm going to hell in every single religion :biggrin:

same lmao
Reply 24
Original post by aamirac
Are you saying electrons, neutrons and protons aren't real? :curious:

Read the post, not the title.

Mainly religious specimens of the earth

I agree with you, it's really just the religious folks looking for something a lay all the power into when they don't understand something.

Original post by Supersaps
How much does justice weigh?

About 5 years in jail
I'm ginger so I don't have a soul whether or not they're real.
Reply 27

hey so globally you can divide all philosophies into two categories: the spiritualist ones (believing that soul is separated, immortal and superior than physical entities) and the materialistic ones - that you're illustrating here, everything's only material, atoms and stuff. However, some do believe in souls, as very specific configuration of matters.
Moreover, as you may also have seen in science, atoms don't age. So maybe they eternally regroup, maybe they stuck together and keep on forming a certain soul and this might, for example, explain reincarnation.
Hope this helped
Original post by 雷尼克
if you think real hard, cars are actually driving us

Only in Soviet Russia.
Original post by lNurl
I haven't seen a pig studying for gcse exam or dog writing a programme in computer :biggrin: I think we are superior :h:

I haven't seen a human go through 200lbs of uncooked meat in 8 minutes therefore i think pigs are superior
Original post by bethwalker85
I'm ginger so I don't have a soul whether or not they're real.

That's a lie, you reap one for every freckle.
Original post by XOR_
That's a lie, you reap one for every freckle.

****, I've got millions then.
Original post by HelpusPleasus
That is the case but there's something more than just matter. When a Neuron fires it creates an abstract image in our minds that we can then "mentally see" and reflect on.
If it were just matter, we would be able to replicate it simply.

We cannot yet. There's something more than chemicals and neurones otherwise nothing would happen. Where does consciousness come from then and why can't we replicate it? If it were the case then any chemical pot/tissue/ matter would be able to think.
That isn't the case- it's the Sum total of the neurones interacting with each other to create such a state that is our minds.

Think about it like Software and Hardware. Hardware is the neurones and atoms and sub atomic particles but Software runs atop this but can then change the Hardware. Physically you exist because the neurones shape the pathways created and "mentally".

*You may want to looks up a series called "The Brain by David Eagleman" It had 6 episodes and was produced by the BBC.
-Physically though your brain changes with your thoughts so theoretically this can be scanned and "rebooted" and an identical but different version of your mind could exist. It's being researched.

-Also a shout out to Quantum Consciousness that says that consciousness stems from the Quantum world based on quantum states existing in our brains.

You say that software "runs atop" hardware. It's true that it can be useful to think of them separately, as different levels, but it's also important to remember that a computer's software is just a certain arrangement of electrical charges stored by its hardware - on an empirical, molecular basis, there is no software, only hardware with some very interesting emergent properties.

I tend to think of the brain in the same way. Neurones fire and interact and shape themselves and one another in unspeakably complicated ways, and peoples' personalities and actions are emergent properties of the neurones' interactions. I don't see the need to invoke any supernatural or metaphysical explanation and I don't think there's anything there besides matter.

I don't consider that to devalue people at all - any system that can do what the human brain can do deserves the respect and the rights that we currently afford it, whether or not it contains a soul.
Reply 33
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I haven't seen a human go through 200lbs of uncooked meat in 8 minutes therefore i think pigs are superior

come on, food is sensitive topic, have you seen dog go through lots of chocolate in few minutes and not die? :biggrin:
this is savage...
Wrong. There may not be anything supernatural about us, but we are still human :cute:
Why did the title make me think of Jaden Smith? :lol:
[QUOTE=Daimonos;64613641]I mean people talk of humans having souls, i.e. having a level of existence beyond our physical bodies, but fundamentally every living and non-living thing is basically just a specific configuration of atoms (electrons, protons, neutrons) and specific electrical patterns generated by those atoms - electricity itself just being the discharge of electrons from those atoms.

What about the stuff making up the atoms and the stuff making up the stuff that makes up the atoms...
Original post by skunkboy

Humans are bioluminescent and glow in the dark. The light that we emit is 1,000 times weaker than our human eyes are able to pick up.

Buddha says " Where consciousness is signless, boundless, all-luminous,
That's where earth, water, fire and air find no footing,
There both long and short, small and great, fair and foul-
There " name and form" are wholly destroyed.
With the cessation of consciousness this is all destroyed."

You don't even see your body glowing in the dark.

How can you see your psyche or soul with your naked eye?

You never ever experienced something called Jhana, so you don't know how your soul or psyche works.

You are just like a frog in a small pond. The frog never knows things about the great ocean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending