The Student Room Group

Help me with my french exam pleasssseeee!

To get straight to the point:
My french exam is on 17th May. Predicted an A, but got a solid B for my coursework, but.....
I have never achieved higher than a C in reading and listening past papers. I don't understand a word and I'm stressing the fried chicken out!!
Has anyone got any advice - It's not a subject you can just sit down and learn. Any key vocabulary/phrases - and please don't tell me to go to the specification, it has 6500 word to learn.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Original post by Merc560sel
To get straight to the point:
My french exam is on 17th May. Predicted an A, but got a solid B for my coursework, but.....
I have never achieved higher than a C in reading and listening past papers. I don't understand a word and I'm stressing the fried chicken out!!
Has anyone got any advice - It's not a subject you can just sit down and learn. Any key vocabulary/phrases - and please don't tell me to go to the specification, it has 6500 word to learn.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Edexcel French?
Just use the Vocab Booklet...
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/French/2009/Teaching%20and%20learning%20materials/French-vocab-book.pdf

And do as many Past Papers as you can
AQA? learn the WHOLE vocab booklet, seriously you will get an A* if you do. I know it's so hard but please do as many as you can!! if you're doing higher then focus on the higher vocab and leave out the foundation. If you hear a foundation word in a listening exam (for example, poli=polite) and it is really obvious, this will NOT be the answer, rule it out. In multiple choice questions you will hear all 3 options so make sure you don't fall for silly mistakes,
Learn your grammar and agreements, as there is usually a 4-6 marker basked on this.
Learn positive and negative vocab as these questions come up on the reading and listening.
And for the answer in english questions on the listening papers, try and use common sense - they wouldn't use a totally obscure situation

Good luck, learn your vocab and do past papers, every single one if you can!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jazz_xox_
AQA? learn the WHOLE vocab booklet, seriously you will get an A* if you do. I know it's so hard but please do as many as you can!! if you're doing higher then focus on the higher vocab and leave out the foundation. If you hear a foundation word in a listening exam (for example, poli=polite) and it is really obvious, this will NOT be the answer, rule it out. In multiple choice questions you will hear all 3 options so make sure you don't fall for silly mistakes,
Learn your grammar and agreements, as there is usually a 4-6 marker basked on this.
Learn positive and negative vocab as these questions come up on the reading and listening.
And for the answer in english questions on the listening papers, try and use common sense - they wouldn't use a totally obscure situation

Good luck, learn your vocab and do past papers, every single one if you can!! :smile:

Thanks so much for the advice. I will try learning the key word, (as much as possible). Do you know any key phrases that commonly pop up in the exam?
Thanks again.
I can't really tell you specific phrases, but just watch out for the higher vocab, as if you hear/see these words and recognise them, they are likely to be correct
Wow, You're lucky you got a Solid B :/ I got a Solid C/Low B
Just do practice papers.... I'm absolutely bad at french (trust me), but Aim to be picking up all the marks in the multiple choice questions, so by the time you get to the hard stuff you will be Guaranteed an A.
Reply 6
On listening make sure you write down the words you hear and try to make sense out of them, for reading annotate the text to try and translate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
im doing this exam too, hope we both do well 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
For learning the key words, there's a website called memrise that you could use - you put the words in and it'll make activities for you to do to help learn the words, and I'm pretty sure you can make it speak to you to help with the listening too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending