The Student Room Group

GCSE French

How do you all cope with your AQA French speaking exams? Was it scary? Was it successful?
Reply 1
holaa

this might not be massively helpful ? but i did french gcse a couple years ago and study it for a-level now

when it comes to the speaking exams, it'd be stupid for me to pretend that everyone doesn't find them scary (!) but i will say that the more you practise, the less it feels like a high-pressure exam and the more it feels like a conversation-- in my view you should keep speaking french outside of class with your friends who also study it, bc then it doesn't feel like such a shift when you're speaking to your examiner

you've probably already googled this, but https://studyrocket.co.uk/revision/gcse-french-aqa/speaking-exam/speaking-exam has some helpful tips for preparing :smile:

Original post by Glitzy girl 123
How do you all cope with your AQA French speaking exams? Was it scary? Was it successful?
Original post by inxsth
holaa

this might not be massively helpful ? but i did french gcse a couple years ago and study it for a-level now

when it comes to the speaking exams, it'd be stupid for me to pretend that everyone doesn't find them scary (!) but i will say that the more you practise, the less it feels like a high-pressure exam and the more it feels like a conversation-- in my view you should keep speaking french outside of class with your friends who also study it, bc then it doesn't feel like such a shift when you're speaking to your examiner

you've probably already googled this, but https://studyrocket.co.uk/revision/gcse-french-aqa/speaking-exam/speaking-exam has some helpful tips for preparing :smile:

Thank you, you have reassured me. This is very helpful.
Reply 3
Original post by Glitzy girl 123

what was your photocard and roleplay like, did you get a good one? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by edqies
what was your photocard and roleplay like, did you get a good one? :smile:

are you asking me or op? :0

if you meant me, then my one was a bit weird bc we were one of the covid year groups for gcse (2 years ago). i can't really remember which topics at gcse are worse than the others😭and i cant remember which one i acc got but i think it might've been social issues

looking at the gcse photocards we got given for revision, they're all v similar in how you're supposed to answer them so I wouldn't stress the topic too much

the advice i'd give for those is just make sure you know key phrases for describing positions, what there acc is in the photo, the weather, people, what they're doing, ur opinion on it (i.e. en regardant la photo, au premier plan, ils ont l'air, je dirais que etc.)

BUT also learn your vocab,, it's pretty tedious but will be a huge help bc you'll know that it won't matter massively what topic you get (bc it doesn't seem like any are necessarily "better" to get unless you blank on the vocab)

as I said in the first post tho it's all well and good knowing vocab and phrases on paper but make sure you practise them with a friend or classmate etc ! i found that v helpful with not getting *really* nervous in the exam

for the roleplays.. i highkey forgot they were a thing bc we don't do them at a-level so I'm not sure ill b very helpful on that😭but same advice about practising them with someone else still stands

lmk if you have any other qs abt the exams or even abt what a-level french is like if ur thinking of taking it👍🏽

i hope the orals go well for you! you'll do great, just remember to do your best and try to relax :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by inxsth
are you asking me or op? :0

if you meant me, then my one was a bit weird bc we were one of the covid year groups for gcse (2 years ago). i can't really remember which topics at gcse are worse than the others😭and i cant remember which one i acc got but i think it might've been social issues

looking at the gcse photocards we got given for revision, they're all v similar in how you're supposed to answer them so I wouldn't stress the topic too much

the advice i'd give for those is just make sure you know key phrases for describing positions, what there acc is in the photo, the weather, people, what they're doing, ur opinion on it (i.e. en regardant la photo, au premier plan, ils ont l'air, je dirais que etc.)

BUT also learn your vocab,, it's pretty tedious but will be a huge help bc you'll know that it won't matter massively what topic you get (bc it doesn't seem like any are necessarily "better" to get unless you blank on the vocab)

as I said in the first post tho it's all well and good knowing vocab and phrases on paper but make sure you practise them with a friend or classmate etc ! i found that v helpful with not getting *really* nervous in the exam

for the roleplays.. i highkey forgot they were a thing bc we don't do them at a-level so I'm not sure ill b very helpful on that😭but same advice about practising them with someone else still stands

lmk if you have any other qs abt the exams or even abt what a-level french is like if ur thinking of taking it👍🏽

i hope the orals go well for you! you'll do great, just remember to do your best and try to relax :smile:

i had mine on monday and it went so well!! thanks for this!!

Quick Reply

Latest