The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Maths Competition Thread

This thread was created for the people who are interested in discussing and sharing problems relating to mathematical competitions. Hopefully, this thread can act as a place where people can talk about problems ranging from the UK Maths Challenges all the way to IMO-standard problems and share resources so people can improve their ability at solving mathematical questions in competitions. Also, I hope that this thread can help people to develop their abilities and interests in problem solving and find new people who share an interest in maths and problem solving.

Happy solving.

@Renzhi10122
@physicsmaths

(I have tagged two people who are more popular TSR members and problem solving enthusiasts so that this thread can gain in popularity and reach as many people as possible)

Scroll to see replies

Problem 1:

Balkan Mathematical Olympiad 2014 Question 1:

Let x, y and z be positive real numbers such that xy + yz + xz = 3xyz. Prove that

x^2y+y^2z+z^2x is greater than or equal to 2(x + y+ z) -3

and determine when the equality holds.
Original post by Maths465Man
Problem 1:

Balkan Mathematical Olympiad 2014 Question 1:

Let x, y and z be positive real numbers such that xy + yz + xz = 3xyz. Prove that

x^2y+y^2z+z^2x is greater than or equal to 2(x + y+ z) -3

and determine when the equality holds.

After putting pen to paper
Something with schurs but i don't know. Maybe cos you the x^r case etc after some work. I think it can be done this way but i won't carry on since ive solved it using a normal method.
Divide through by x,y,z to get
cylic sum 1/x=3
note that
(x+y+z-3)^2>=0
Leading to (x+y+z)^2>=6(x+y+z)-9 Call this fact (1)
now apply cauchy to LHS expression with sum of 1/x cyclic and it leads to LHS >= fact(1)/3 leading to RHS. Done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by physicsmaths
After putting pen to paper
Something with schurs but i don't know. Maybe cos you the x^r case etc after some work. I think it can be done this way but i won't carry on since ive solved it using a normal method.
Divide through by x,y,z to get
cylic sum 1/x=3
note that
(x+y+z-3)^2>=0
Leading to (x+y+z)^2>=6(x+y+z)-9 Call this fact (1)
now apply cauchy to LHS expression with sum of 1/x cyclic and it leads to LHS >= fact(1)/3 leading to RHS. Done

Posted from TSR Mobile

what IeveI is this question if you don't me asking?
Original post by Yunique
what IeveI is this question if you don't me asking?

Below IMO but higher then National Maths Competitions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Problem 2:

IMO 2006:

Let ABC be a triangle with incentive I. A point P in the interior of the triangle satisfies

angle PBA + angle PCA = angle PBC + angle PCB

Show that AP is greater than or equal to AI and that equality holds if and only if P coincides with I
Problem 2:

IMO 2006:

Let ABC be a triangle with incentive I. A point P in the interior of the triangle satisfies

angle PBA + angle PCA = angle PBC + angle PCB

Show that AP is greater than or equal to AI and that equality holds if and only if P coincides with I

This problem is riciculously easy I think for IMO!
Do you do IMO problems regularly now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This problem is riciculously easy I think for IMO!
Do you do IMO problems regularly now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I try however I can do very few of them.
@physicsmaths
@Renzhi10122
What about this?

IMO Shortlisted problem 2006:

In triangle ABC, let J be the centre of the excircle tangent to side BC at A1 and tothe extensions of sides AC and AB at B1 and C1, respectively. Suppose that the lines A1B1and AB are perpendicular and intersect at D. Let E be the foot of the perpendicular from C1to line DJ. Determine the angles ∠BEA1 and ∠AEB1.

(the numbers after the capital letters are meant to be smaller)
(edited 7 years ago)
@physicsmaths
What about this?

In triangle ABC, let J be the centre of the excircle tangent to side BC at A1 and tothe extensions of sides AC and AB at B1 and C1, respectively. Suppose that the lines A1B1and AB are perpendicular and intersect at D. Let E be the foot of the perpendicular from C1to line DJ. Determine the angles ∠BEA1 and ∠AEB1.

I haven't done this yet so I don't know I had done that Problem 1 before hand hence I knew it was easy. I can't try it right now since I have all my A level exams rn though, renzhi is currently preparing for the IMO stuff so ask him if you get stuck! Hes a badman who don't need to recise for a levels since he got straight 100s last year haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't done this yet so I don't know I had done that Problem 1 before hand hence I knew it was easy. I can't try it right now since I have all my A level exams rn though, renzhi is currently preparing for the IMO stuff so ask him if you get stuck! Hes a badman who don't need to recise for a levels since he got straight 100s last year haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do. Good luck in your A-Levels
Will do. Good luck in your A-Levels

Cheers, good luck in your exams too! (AS or GCSE?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers, good luck in your exams too! (AS or GCSE?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I've got GCSE ICT tomorrow and AS and A2 Maths as well.
Well I've got GCSE ICT tomorrow and AS and A2 Maths as well.

Ah so Year 11? Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah so Year 11? Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm in Year 10
No I'm in Year 10

Oh ok. Impressive looking at IMO question in Yr 10! You will have a good shotnext year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok. Impressive looking at IMO question in Yr 10! You will have a good shotnext year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd love to make it to an IMO, but it will be incredibly difficult.
@physicsmaths
@Renzhi10122
What about this?

M8, that's a G5... I haven't tried this one before, but I'll try it now. It looks like it can be done with areals.
Original post by Renzhi10122
M8, that's a G5... I haven't tried this one before, but I'll try it now. It looks like it can be done with areals.

I think when you have the ability to do IMO questions, going through the shortlisted problems each year can be really effective because you can see where your strengths and weaknesses are depending on how many questions you solve within a specific topic (e.g. number theory)
I think when you have the ability to do IMO questions, going through the shortlisted problems each year can be really effective because you can see where your strengths and weaknesses are depending on how many questions you solve within a specific topic (e.g. number theory)

K, turns out that the G5 wasn't that hard
And yes, I agree, that's what I've been doing for a while now, and it's a very good source of questions. Unfortunately, questions start getting rather hard the higher the shortlist number...

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending