The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

I am nearly 21 and have put on weight since leaving school. When I was 18 I was a size 4/size 6, 6 and a half stone and had a 22 inch waist. Now I am wearing a mixture of size 6 and size 8 clothes which are getting too small so I'm probably a size 8/size 10 really. I'm about 8 stone and now have measurements of 36-27-34. I've had to take a few gap years due to illness so because of this I've not been able to exercise. I'm planning to go to uni in 2017 and I'm feeling a bit unhappy with my weight now. Any other girls of similar age and height, what size are you? Does that sound chubby or like I need to lose weight?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That isn't chubby at all. I'm the same height and a little bit heavier than you and I can get into a size 8 in one shop and then a 14 in another. I don't go by sizes now, I go with what I feel comfortable in and if its a bigger size than what people people would deem as desirable thin or what I was a few years ago , I don't care. At those measurements, you are definitely not chubby, overweight, fat or anything like that. I am sure you have a figure a lot of people would envy.

Exercise might improve your health and your mood but you definitely don't need to do it to lose weight with your size.
Not at all! Sounds like a perfectly normal size to me 😊
I think you need to stop thinking about what other people think.

How do you feel, are you happy with the way you look?

Unless a doctor advises that you are damaging yourself think about you, and how you feel about you.

If you like it then great and if not, then change it.

Think about you and not anyone else.
Reply 4
I'd say so yes.
I'm 4ft11 and 7st10! I wear size 8 clothes. Honestly you are not chubby at all!
Reply 6
Original post by Spock's Socks
That isn't chubby at all. I'm the same height and a little bit heavier than you and I can get into a size 8 in one shop and then a 14 in another. I don't go by sizes now, I go with what I feel comfortable in and if its a bigger size than what people people would deem as desirable thin or what I was a few years ago , I don't care. At those measurements, you are definitely not chubby, overweight, fat or anything like that. I am sure you have a figure a lot of people would envy.

Exercise might improve your health and your mood but you definitely don't need to do it to lose weight with your size.

Thank you, that makes me feel better! Now that I'm more well I'm going to start exercising again and try to eat more healthily so that I can maybe lose some weight and at least feel healthier but at least I know I don't need to worry too much about it. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ameehannah
Not at all! Sounds like a perfectly normal size to me 😊

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
I think you need to stop thinking about what other people think.

How do you feel, are you happy with the way you look?

Unless a doctor advises that you are damaging yourself think about you, and how you feel about you.

If you like it then great and if not, then change it.

Think about you and not anyone else.

You're probably right! Unfortunately, I've not felt happy with the way I look recently which is why I made this thread to get people's opinions but the replies on here (mostly) have made me feel better about it. No, I'm definitely not medically unhealthy - my BMI is well within the normal range. I've just been feeling a bit insecure about it recently because I'd like to be thinner like I used to be. I'm going to start exercising again and eating more healthily to try and get fitter and lose some weight I think so that I feel better about it. Thank you though, I think you're right that I need to stop being so self conscious.
Reply 9
Original post by Jebedee
I'd say so yes.

Why? Are you a girl or a guy?
Original post by NiamhGibson
I'm 4ft11 and 7st10! I wear size 8 clothes. Honestly you are not chubby at all!

Thank you, that makes me feel better! :smile:
I'm 5ft2 and I'm size 14/16... used to be size 20 but that's another story.

You are no way in hell chubby. Your weight is good for your height and don't worry about it so much. :h:
I am nearly 21 and have put on weight since leaving school. When I was 18 I was a size 4/size 6, 6 and a half stone and had a 22 inch waist. Now I am wearing a mixture of size 6 and size 8 clothes which are getting too small so I'm probably a size 8/size 10 really. I'm about 8 stone and now have measurements of 36-27-34. I've had to take a few gap years due to illness so because of this I've not been able to exercise. I'm planning to go to uni in 2017 and I'm feeling a bit unhappy with my weight now. Any other girls of similar age and height, what size are you? Does that sound chubby or like I need to lose weight?

8 stone? your like a feather lol I could pick you up with one hand I'm 15 stone I think your losing the plot habibi, there's no way you could be chubby even if your 5'3... I weighed 8 stone when I was like 11 years old lol and I think I musta been no more than 5 foot 1 I'm 100% sure I wasn't chubby at that build so neither are you
Original post by samina_ay
I'm 5ft2 and I'm size 14/16... used to be size 20 but that's another story.

You are no way in hell chubby. Your weight is good for your height and don't worry about it so much. :h:

Thank you, yeah I'll try not to! :smile:
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
8 stone? your like a feather lol I could pick you up with one hand I'm 15 stone I think your losing the plot habibi, there's no way you could be chubby even if your 5'3... I weighed 8 stone when I was like 11 years old lol and I think I musta been no more than 5 foot 1 I'm 100% sure I wasn't chubby at that build so neither are you

Thank you! Haha maybe I'm just being stupid then lol. :smile:
I wouldn't go off of sizes because different shops do sizing differently. For example I am your height and I can fit into sizes 4,6,8 and sometimes 10 depending on the shop and the item of clothing. You sound like your a good weight, as long as your healthy your fine:u:
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
I wouldn't go off of sizes because different shops do sizing differently. For example I am your height and I can fit into sizes 4,6,8 and sometimes 10 depending on the shop and the item of clothing. You sound like your a good weight, as long as your healthy your fine:u:

Yes, they do vary a lot! Thank you, I'm sure you're right. I'll try and stop worrying about it!
Why? Are you a girl or a guy?

Because a size 8 at that height looks wide and dumpy. I'm a guy.
Those are completely normal sizes, I'm a size 10 and only 5 ft and I've never felt like that is overweight. I do go running but it's mostly to maintain this size. If youvwant to excersise, go for but don't feel like you have to .
xx
Original post by Jebedee
Because a size 8 at that height looks wide and dumpy. I'm a guy.

So, presuming you're straight, would you only date girls that were size 6?

Quick Reply

Latest