The Student Room Group
I Do Not Want The Question To Have Anything To Do With Education!!!!:s
Reply 2
Oh god tell me about it, i thought id better cover it just incase something terrible happened. seeing as Hamlet is going to make me fail. But im sure it will be a nice revoultionary question.. because then iv got bareeee to talk about :smile:
Reply 3
also the agrarian revolution - ie loss of country life due to move towards cities and enlcosure.
thomas paine - rights of man - they style and themes
hope that helps
x
For education just say how Blake's attitude in 'the schoolboy' reflects the ideas of rousseau, who Blake possibly drew inspiration from. Rousseau's ideas was that cos man was seperated from nature in modern societies, it corrupted them, runining their 'innate principle of justice and virtue'. Blake saw education as ruining this inate principle in children , which is why he's against it, he feels children should be allowed to be one with nature, it conserve this innate goodness, rather than letting it be corrupted. That's why children are positivily presented as enjoying nature in 'The nurse's song' in innocense, Spring, Laughing song and the echoing green, and why in teh last two stanza's of schoolboy there's liek an extended metaphor about 'buds being nipped' suggesting that if someone is corrupted as a child they will be as an adult too. And also in general, this principle is why the city and industrialness in his songs are presented badly.

Also cos the industrial revolution caused huge poverty!
due to useless teaching we were never told that context was actually a pretty important component to our answers for this exam. can anyone give me a list of all the contexts (i seem to notice the french revolution and religion are popular), maybe with a few words outlining each...
Reply 6
BlueMonkey22
due to useless teaching we were never told that context was actually a pretty important component to our answers for this exam. can anyone give me a list of all the contexts (i seem to notice the french revolution and religion are popular), maybe with a few words outlining each...

industrial revolution -Blake hated as nature corrupted and people corrupted by lack of it
agrarian revolution - similar but move towards cities
child labour - consequence of industry and destroys innocence
religion - corruption of church and favourable Swedenborg church who advocates personal relationship with god
Rousseau - similar beliefs, believes man in chain within institutions
Godwin - revolutionary politically
Paine - rights of man - equality etc
Reynolds - Blake rebelled against his style of painting - too formal
revolution atmosphere - American war of independence and French revolution
Reply 7
not_me_aye
industrial revolution -Blake hated as nature corrupted and people corrupted by lack of it
agrarian revolution - similar but move towards cities
child labour - consequence of industry and destroys innocence
religion - corruption of church and favourable Swedenborg church who advocates personal relationship with god
Rousseau - similar beliefs, believes man in chain within institutions
Godwin - revolutionary politically
Paine - rights of man - equality etc
Reynolds - Blake rebelled against his style of painting - too formal
revolution atmosphere - American war of independence and French revolution

i dont suppose you could add a poem to each of those pointers as an example???
it really helps!
Reply 8
industrial revolution - London.. in experience
child labour - The Chimney Sweeper in experience *particularly - "my father sold me while yet my tongue"
religion - London, "the blackining church appalls" and Garden of Love "binding with briars my joys and desires"
Rousseau - "man is born free but is everywhere in chains", this is very similar to Blakes' "mind forged manacles" in London.
Revolutionary atmosphere - "The Tyger", - full of passion in that. especially "dare seize the fire" which is basically describing the intensity of the french revoultionaries (which were also called tigers)

good luck today everyone :smile:
Reply 9
perhaps, although this is a bit obscure, you could mention such an idea as the revolution of the imagination. i had a question last monday on natural world vs. world of the imagination in blake and i found it helpful to talk about blake's revolutionary imagination, his Romantic outlook on life. his move away from the enlightenment and his gothic overtones. it's maybe not so much contextual perhaps as french revolution, but i think it's equally important. perhaps you could write a bit about social mobility?

Latest

Trending

Trending