The Student Room Group

Consierably advantage taking MEI Maths as appose to EdExcel/OCR/AQA maths?

My sixth form selected MEI to be the maths exam board. It's popular opinion that MEI exams are considerably more difficult than the other exam boards, and often contain higher grade boundaries because the exams are taken by more capable students.

I asked my head of maths if, when applying to university, we will have any advantage compared to the majority of other students who take the other exam boards. He said that we would, however I would like a few more opinions on the matter?

WIll doing MEI maths give me any significant advantage applying to RG Universities?
Sorry for the title typo :s-smilie:
Have had people from my college going to Imperial, UCL etc with MEI maths. MEI maths is just amazing imo. I found the transition from GCSE to AS much easier with MEI. 10/10. At the end of the day, you wouldn't be any different from any other candidate taking a maths A-level from another exam board, then again it depends on the modules you choose.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
My sixth form selected MEI to be the maths exam board. It's popular opinion that MEI exams are considerably more difficult than the other exam boards, and often contain higher grade boundaries because the exams are taken by more capable students.

I asked my head of maths if, when applying to university, we will have any advantage compared to the majority of other students who take the other exam boards. He said that we would, however I would like a few more opinions on the matter?

WIll doing MEI maths give me any significant advantage applying to RG Universities?

No.

The only things they care about are
1. the grade achieved.
2. Some times the ums achieved.
3. Occasionally the units studied (where relevant to your chosen course, especially if you do further maths as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Sounds like BS to me. Why would a university care what exam board you do. An A with edexcel is no different from an A with MEI in their minds.

Quick Reply

Latest