The Student Room Group

I hate working in McDonalds- rant!

Scroll to see replies

You... YOU feed us, You do a duty with a quack, quack here and there. I have nothing but admiration for you!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hahahaha
McDonalds
You must be fat by now
Hey guys!

Thread poster here with updates...

The unfortunate thing is, I'm still here in McDs. However, after nearly 3 yrs I've been promoted to Crew Trainer. I accepted, but not because of the money (because lets face it, its dire!), however, I did it for the experience of leading and training people. I plan to stay for perhaps another 6-8 months.

Use this experience, and some voluntary experience I'm getting in the Social Work sector to leave, and get onto a graduate scheme to retrain.

But yes, 100% echo what everyone is saying about it. It is horrible, but it isnt the end of the road.

I used to think that I would be stuck here, after having studied for a degree, and now as a grad applying for work 2 -3 yrs on.

Truth is, now im a bit more focussed on where I want to go - im more motivated.

And despite the fact my managers are nasty people, at least they have seen some value in me to promote me.

We just had a load of Shift Managers and Crew leave so I was one of the chosen people to go up.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been working in McDonalds for the last 4-5 weeks, and I can honestly say, I detest it with a passion.

I know many people here will tell me, 'well you don't like it quit', and while that might be a attractive prospect, I can't because I am financially tied to the job with regards bills and the like.

I only took this damn job due to wanting to move away from my family and to live with my partner, which I am now by the way- to then look for a graduate role, which I'm also doing.

Now-- on to describing what is the Mc-**** job:

Managers speak to you like utter rubbish, and the store culture is such that they ask you to do something, if your not in the vicinity or you don't hear them your regarded as 'ignorant' and they have a good ***** about you despite you only been around the corner.

Its like not only do they ***** behind your back, its done slyly *or not so* in front of you, often when your feet away from them. Its so obvious its about you.

Your asked to put down like a bag of nuggets, less than five seconds later; 'We want apple pies down', and so on and so forth. Your literally rushed off your feet, and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets??

Its kind of like, well, hang on a second there, I'm doing the other stuff you asked me before you start getting shirty with me. One time, a colleague of mine responded back to a scolding he was getting, as a result of putting down too many nuggets- wastage, the manager told him 'he has answers for everything'. It was a reasoned response too.

They just treated him like garbage. He'd put a full bag down as another colleague asked him too, and despite him telling manager that, she still got angry.

He simply told her: "well you can't win either way, you don't put any down you get a telling off, and if you do you get it''.

Ultimately, if you can't do your jobs in those orders, clean down work surfaces, juggle tasks, and in other words dance to the sound of their tune your seen as incompetent.

Well you know what, I've had it with this degrading, depreciating job where managers act like little children, openly slating your colleagues calling them 'idiots' in front of me, and displaying playground bullying tactics despite been like in their forties.

I've had other jobs before and I've never had this treatment anywhere else. I get that its a fast food place, they expect things to happen fast. However, I've been here 6 weeks, I'm not going to be the fastest worker ever!

Other times, I've been asked to do particular tasks, and I've told said managers I don't know how to do this, and they give me dirty looks, as though I should know- and its like 'well, nobody has shown me this stuff'. I had to ask a Crew Member to show me and he was lovely, diligent and took his time to show me- better than any manager.

To say they have one of the best training programmes as a large corp company is pathetic, because our store is shocking.

Like I say, in my other jobs I've been regarded as very good at what I did. Bare to mind, that was a different environment. Here I'm treated like the guy that is considered last, as they all think im ****

Rant over.

Anybody else experience similar? Anything to add?

Don't macdonalds pay well tho?
Hey guys!

Thread poster here with updates...

The unfortunate thing is, I'm still here in McDs. However, after nearly 3 yrs I've been promoted to Crew Trainer. I accepted, but not because of the money (because lets face it, its dire!), however, I did it for the experience of leading and training people. I plan to stay for perhaps another 6-8 months.

Use this experience, and some voluntary experience I'm getting in the Social Work sector to leave, and get onto a graduate scheme to retrain.

But yes, 100% echo what everyone is saying about it. It is horrible, but it isnt the end of the road.

I used to think that I would be stuck here, after having studied for a degree, and now as a grad applying for work 2 -3 yrs on.

Truth is, now im a bit more focussed on where I want to go - im more motivated.

And despite the fact my managers are nasty people, at least they have seen some value in me to promote me.

We just had a load of Shift Managers and Crew leave so I was one of the chosen people to go up.

Lol congrats
Original post by thestudent33
Don't macdonalds pay well tho?

No they don't, but I try to see it from an experience point of view.

End of the day, I've done other things, im nearly 30, so I probably have more experience than most students on here, and the experience of having trained new members of staff, is quite valuable.
Original post by thestudent33
Lol congrats

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but thank you for the congrats.

I'm quite happy knowing I will be gone by next year, its quite liberating, but to be honest, i've learned quite a lot about myself in this employment.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but thank you for the congrats.

I'm quite happy knowing I will be gone by next year, its quite liberating, but to be honest, i've learned quite a lot about myself in this employment.

Well at least you got something out of it
uhhhhhhhhhhh can i have borgor and one fries
I've been working in McDonalds for the last 4-5 weeks, and I can honestly say, I detest it with a passion.

I know many people here will tell me, 'well you don't like it quit', and while that might be a attractive prospect, I can't because I am financially tied to the job with regards bills and the like.

I only took this damn job due to wanting to move away from my family and to live with my partner, which I am now by the way- to then look for a graduate role, which I'm also doing.

Now-- on to describing what is the Mc-**** job:

Managers speak to you like utter rubbish, and the store culture is such that they ask you to do something, if your not in the vicinity or you don't hear them your regarded as 'ignorant' and they have a good ***** about you despite you only been around the corner.

Its like not only do they ***** behind your back, its done slyly *or not so* in front of you, often when your feet away from them. Its so obvious its about you.

Your asked to put down like a bag of nuggets, less than five seconds later; 'We want apple pies down', and so on and so forth. Your literally rushed off your feet, and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets??

Its kind of like, well, hang on a second there, I'm doing the other stuff you asked me before you start getting shirty with me. One time, a colleague of mine responded back to a scolding he was getting, as a result of putting down too many nuggets- wastage, the manager told him 'he has answers for everything'. It was a reasoned response too.

They just treated him like garbage. He'd put a full bag down as another colleague asked him too, and despite him telling manager that, she still got angry.

He simply told her: "well you can't win either way, you don't put any down you get a telling off, and if you do you get it''.

Ultimately, if you can't do your jobs in those orders, clean down work surfaces, juggle tasks, and in other words dance to the sound of their tune your seen as incompetent.

Well you know what, I've had it with this degrading, depreciating job where managers act like little children, openly slating your colleagues calling them 'idiots' in front of me, and displaying playground bullying tactics despite been like in their forties.

I've had other jobs before and I've never had this treatment anywhere else. I get that its a fast food place, they expect things to happen fast. However, I've been here 6 weeks, I'm not going to be the fastest worker ever!

Other times, I've been asked to do particular tasks, and I've told said managers I don't know how to do this, and they give me dirty looks, as though I should know- and its like 'well, nobody has shown me this stuff'. I had to ask a Crew Member to show me and he was lovely, diligent and took his time to show me- better than any manager.

To say they have one of the best training programmes as a large corp company is pathetic, because our store is shocking.

Like I say, in my other jobs I've been regarded as very good at what I did. Bare to mind, that was a different environment. Here I'm treated like the guy that is considered last, as they all think im ****

Rant over.

Anybody else experience similar? Anything to add?

"Your asked to put down like a bag of nuggets, less than five seconds later; 'We want apple pies down', and so on and so forth. Your literally rushed off your feet, and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets??

Its kind of like, well, hang on a second there, I'm doing the other stuff you asked me before you start getting shirty with me. One time, a colleague of mine responded back to a scolding he was getting, as a result of putting down too many nuggets- wastage, the manager told him 'he has answers for everything'. It was a reasoned response too."
i felt thus whole post on a whole 'nother level because its exactly like that and the part i quoted literally made me scream "EXACTLY" because the managers literally have no respect majority of the time mind you ive only been working there for maybe A MONTH. and they've already acted like total pricks to me and practically call anyone an idiot if they cant keep up with them :/
You do realize that most people who work there are either working to pay for college, or are actually in highschool. I just started working at Mcdonalds and I’m in highschool, but I plan on going to college.
(edited 4 years ago)
Mc Donalds has always been the same (worked there after leaving school in 1989). The thing is this, yes you are underpaid , yes you get spoken to badly sometimes (depends on your managers leadership skills), yes you are mad busy all day long, yes fast food workers do not have a glamorous job.

But ......

That company teaches you a great work ethic, if you can deal with that job it will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. It may not feel like it at the moment but in the long run holding a "bottom rung" job for a while will develop you. The same kind of treatment comes in all jobs , you will always have unrealistic demands made on you , you will always have bad leaders who do not know how to get the best out of staff.

Treat this job as an induction with the aim of bettering your prospects. Get a years worth on your CV , stick with it and always keep one eye on the future.

Hope this helps in some small way .
"Your asked to put down like a bag of nuggets, less than five seconds later; 'We want apple pies down', and so on and so forth. Your literally rushed off your feet, and they literally ask you have you done them, and how long on those nuggets??

Its kind of like, well, hang on a second there, I'm doing the other stuff you asked me before you start getting shirty with me. One time, a colleague of mine responded back to a scolding he was getting, as a result of putting down too many nuggets- wastage, the manager told him 'he has answers for everything'. It was a reasoned response too."
i felt thus whole post on a whole 'nother level because its exactly like that and the part i quoted literally made me scream "EXACTLY" because the managers literally have no respect majority of the time mind you ive only been working there for maybe A MONTH. and they've already acted like total pricks to me and practically call anyone an idiot if they cant keep up with them :/
Another update,

I just recently accepted a much better job offer elsewhere, in a more interesting sector, with more prospects and a considerable pay-rise well above min wage.

McDonalds has taught me a very good work ethic. Most of the time you are rushed off your feet, although, our store is pretty quite at times and can get boring. I think on occasion you can be stood about 'twiddling your thumbs' a lot, but I think this is more a reflection of how I actually feel about the role having been here a few years. This, and the fact that I have handed in my notice.

In my previous jobs, I was pretty sloppy and slow (I am a bit now) but now I have more urgency, and have improved on my productivity and multi-tasking ability ten fold. The corporate culture of McDs does no good for your wellbeing or mental health, but it terms of ethic, I'm much more disciplined and can work to a better pace.

For those fresh out of school, I'd encourage McDs as a first job. I would not make a career of it, I'd use it as a stop-gap or even to pay your bills for sometime, until you plan your next move.

Former McDs Worker.
I’ve been working at McDonald’s for a year and this is my first job. I work part-time as I’m still in college and I’m also a carer for my grandmother. I’m contracted for 16 hours a week however I only get one 4 hour shift every two weeks. It’s ridiculous and they do not follow my availability that I have discussed with a manager. I cannot work during school hours as I’m still in education but yet they still gives me shifts during school hours. The managers also treat me like ****. They give me so many tasks to do in such a small time. On my last shift they placed me on taking orders on the drive through. I told the manger many time that I had no idea how to do it as I was trained in a store without a drive through and they haven’t given me any extra training since leaving that store. But she still put me on that role for my whole shift. I ended up being shouted at so many times by both mangers and customers because I had no idea what I was doing. I ended up having a panic attack and was put on an extended break just to be then put back onto the same role when I got back. They mess around with uniforms as well. I’ve been having trouble with my weight recently and the morning before my shift I tried on my uniform after not having a shift given to me that I could actually turn up to for 2 months and the uniform was too small. I went into the store just before heading to college and I sat down in the office and asked for new uniform politely. The manager was not happy because I let them know “too late” even though they have a cupboard full of uniform that they have spare and because I started crying while explaining my weight problem which was apparently unprofessional. They then told me that they don’t order uniform for women over a size 10 and gave me men’s trousers that were too big. I decided to deal with it and I’ve been asking for a belt now for 3 months and they will not provide. Managers and other staff members have also been excluding me from employee outings and work-dos. Instead mangers ask me to cover other employees shifts while they go out and have fun which I think is very unfair. McDonald’s is a terrible place to work in my opinion but currently it is the only job I can have at the moment as I don’t drive and need the flexibility McDonald’s provides.
I empathise and fully understand your situation. When I first started working at McDs it was exactly the same for me. You get a shock just how unprofessional they are/can be. See, I worked in another place before McDs so it was a stark contrast to see how bad it was. For yourself, its probably your first experience, which is quite unfair for you.

I'd say stick it out a couple months, see if things improve. After about a year, I allied with some people, and gained the respect of the kitchen.

After nearly four years, I was pretty much universally respected, given senior responsibilities, which I used to further myself and then left. You still got rubbish shifts, if you pissed off the wrong person, it was hard, not going to lie. My mental health suffered all the time, I was off sick every week for half my time there. I walked off shift twice.

The thing you will realise about McDs is, it is impossible to get fired. You get like a million warnings, and 2-3 verbal before the sack.

If your hating it, it would be easier to walk out. But if you need the cash, I wouldn't advise. Are there any benefits you could claim to offset losing your income, if you left?

Also McDs are very petty about how they discipline you. A lot of their managers tend to passively punish you. So rather than address the issue like a decent human being they will alter your shifts, give you lates, and then early next day. Or give you none at all.

It is cruel, but they do it to control you really. Its one of the worst things about the place, and I heard it happens in a lot of stores.

It sounds awful, but I would just try be extra polite to people, and keep people sweet. Try to side with people you most trust. Find common interests, if you find somebody else has a similar issue, share your concerns and bond over this. This way you are not alone. I found that the place was that toxic at the time, I felt so isolated.

Also, I notice that they exploit younger workers. Because of your age they can pay you less, so can make you work as long or as very little as they want and it won't affect them.

If your much older, your paid more, and unfortunately, for younger workers, that always meant that we would get sent home first to save labour. Because we were paid more, it saves the most money to send the oldies home first. This meant that younger people had to work harder for less, which was also grossly unfair.

I'd stick it out for 6 months. Try to find something else, if you really really can't stand it, I'd leave. I'd say what they have done to you is quite on the extreme end of anything I ever experienced at Mcds. It's definitely bullying, especially with the uniform thing and weight.

Give yourself 6 months. Try to make connections. Someone who will stand up for you, make recommendations for you to prove others wrong. This is what happened to me. People walked all over me. Until a Manager turned around and went 'hey what about this person, he's a sound guy', and then that was my chance. Things actually changed for me from that point onward.

The thing about McDs is it is clichy, one of the most circular places I have worked, and it hasn't changed for decades.

Hope I helped :smile: Take it easy.

I’ve been working at McDonald’s for a year and this is my first job. I work part-time as I’m still in college and I’m also a carer for my grandmother. I’m contracted for 16 hours a week however I only get one 4 hour shift every two weeks. It’s ridiculous and they do not follow my availability that I have discussed with a manager. I cannot work during school hours as I’m still in education but yet they still gives me shifts during school hours. The managers also treat me like ****. They give me so many tasks to do in such a small time. On my last shift they placed me on taking orders on the drive through. I told the manger many time that I had no idea how to do it as I was trained in a store without a drive through and they haven’t given me any extra training since leaving that store. But she still put me on that role for my whole shift. I ended up being shouted at so many times by both mangers and customers because I had no idea what I was doing. I ended up having a panic attack and was put on an extended break just to be then put back onto the same role when I got back. They mess around with uniforms as well. I’ve been having trouble with my weight recently and the morning before my shift I tried on my uniform after not having a shift given to me that I could actually turn up to for 2 months and the uniform was too small. I went into the store just before heading to college and I sat down in the office and asked for new uniform politely. The manager was not happy because I let them know “too late” even though they have a cupboard full of uniform that they have spare and because I started crying while explaining my weight problem which was apparently unprofessional. They then told me that they don’t order uniform for women over a size 10 and gave me men’s trousers that were too big. I decided to deal with it and I’ve been asking for a belt now for 3 months and they will not provide. Managers and other staff members have also been excluding me from employee outings and work-dos. Instead mangers ask me to cover other employees shifts while they go out and have fun which I think is very unfair. McDonald’s is a terrible place to work in my opinion but currently it is the only job I can have at the moment as I don’t drive and need the flexibility McDonald’s provides.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending