The Student Room Group

What can I expect from an Access to HE interview

Hello,

I'm hoping to start an Access course in September and I have an interview for the course next Monday.

The only information I've been provided with is that it's an Applicant Day and it should take three hours. I was wondering if anyone has previously been to an Access interview and what it usually entails? I just want to make sure I'm prepared!
I've been to two(the first course got cancelled due to lack of numbers) and they were both just a informal chat.

I've heard that Access to Medicine courses have a proper entrance exam but otherwise it'll probably just be a Maths and English Assesment. I went expecting them but they didn't bother for people who already had them at GCSE, so what I thought would be 2 hours of tests and an interview took about 5 minutes.
Reply 2
Original post by JamesN88
I've been to two(the first course got cancelled due to lack of numbers) and they were both just a informal chat.

I've heard that Access to Medicine courses have a proper entrance exam but otherwise it'll probably just be a Maths and English Assesment. I went expecting them but they didn't bother for people who already had them at GCSE, so what I thought would be 2 hours of tests and an interview took about 5 minutes.

Thanks James! That's what I'm hoping for, too.
Reply 3
For my access interview I was sat in a classroom with other applicants, we were all given a simple English and maths assessment (just 2 sheets of paper with basic questions). As we completed our assessments we then sat with the tutor still in the class, for a quick informal chat about what experience we had, what our life was currently like (children, work commitments etc) and what we planned to do after the course.
Reply 4
Original post by evisaw
For my access interview I was sat in a classroom with other applicants, we were all given a simple English and maths assessment (just 2 sheets of paper with basic questions). As we completed our assessments we then sat with the tutor still in the class, for a quick informal chat about what experience we had, what our life was currently like (children, work commitments etc) and what we planned to do after the course.

Thank you! That doesn't sound so bad. Hopefully mine will be similar
Reply 5
Just in case anyone came here wanting the same info as I did:

The 'interview' wasn't much of an interview at all. There were around 10 of us who were taken to a class room and shown a presentation on Access to HE (Science) in general with a few slides specific to the college. After which we completed a Maths assessment (30 mins) and an English assessment (30 mins). We also were told to choose which 'block' we preferred (based on the individual subjects we were taking and the days we wanted to come in) e.g. Block A was Monday - Wednesday and block C was Wednesday - Friday.

The assessments were simple and straightforward and pretty much just there to make sure you actual could remember how to do basic maths/had a decent grasp of the English language.

Obviously this will differ everywhere but that was my experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending