The Student Room Group

I got the maximum loan and fee but how do I apply for a maitenence grant?

I recently applied for my student finance and happily I received the maximum fee and loan, but I also hear that you can also get a grant too but I have never had the option to apply?

I remember not having to add my parents financial information, is there a way to apply for a grant too?
Reply 1
Original post by Judduuk
I recently applied for my student finance and happily I received the maximum fee and loan, but I also hear that you can also get a grant too but I have never had the option to apply?

I remember not having to add my parents financial information, is there a way to apply for a grant too?

There's no maintenance grant anymore. Only a maintenance loan. This is income assessed and student finance should have asked you to put your parents email addresses in so they can fill out the form.
As said above, you don't, it doesn't exist anymore. It's all loan loan loan.
Grants only exist for those applying to SAAS, SFW, SFNI or those applying to SFE who started prior to September 2016.
Reply 4
Original post by Elivercury
As said above, you don't, it doesn't exist anymore. It's all loan loan loan.

Thank you, this is why I got confused as the year before I had the option, Guess I will be having to find some part time work and hopefully I am entitled to a bursary
Original post by Judduuk
Thank you, this is why I got confused as the year before I had the option, Guess I will be having to find some part time work and hopefully I am entitled to a bursary

Seriously?

I mean, it used to be you would get about ~£3500 loan and ~£3000 grant. Now you can get up to ~£8000 loan. Why are you suddenly needing to find a part time job? You have approx £1500 more than you would have last year (albeit you need to pay all of it back).
Seriously?

I mean, it used to be you would get about ~£3500 loan and ~£3000 grant. Now you can get up to ~£8000 loan. Why are you suddenly needing to find a part time job? You have approx £1500 more than you would have last year (albeit you need to pay all of it back).

Yeah, unless you had really high rent, you should be fine.
Reply 7
Seriously?

I know where you are coming from and half of my question could be from being afraid of having enough to live on but hey, working for some extra money cant be all that bad :wink:
Original post by Judduuk
I know where you are coming from and half of my question could be from being afraid of having enough to live on but hey, working for some extra money cant be all that bad :wink:

For sure - I was in no way suggesting that having a part time job or earning some extra money was a bad thing. If you can fit it in alongside your studies it's a good thing and can also boost your CV.

I was just rather confused that it sounded like you thought you'd have a tougher time getting by with MORE money.

Incidentally I got through university with approx £4000-5000 per year (depending on how successful my summer work was), so you should be absolutely fine on £8000 assuming you're not in London.
Reply 9
Original post by Judduuk

Have you already applied to university? The change only applies to new undergraduates starting in September 2016.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending