The Student Room Group

Did Student Finance make an error? I thought they can fund up to 4 years?

Hi, I am stumped here, Student Finance England approved my application, they sent over my first maintenance loan instalment then they sent me an email saying I need to pay them back the maintenance loan and they're not giving me a loan for tuition fees either. I'm so confused.

To give context, I began an undergrad course at my university and withdrew before the first year ended. I informed SFE to cancel the loan payments and they stopped. The following year I applied to a different course, at the same university. SFE approved and funded me. However, I had to withdraw from that course as well before the 1st year ended, informed SFE and they stopped the funding. So that's not even 2 years of partial funding from SFE.

Here's where the issue happens. I have applied for a new undergrad course at a different university, and SFE approved. They sent me the first maintenance loan instalment. The uni term has begun. Then I get an email from SFE that my funding has been cancelled, I need to pay back the initial maintenance loan and, I wish I was joking, they state my "loan for tuition fees has been approved: £0 granted". What on earth is going on????

Do I have to get lawyers involved? I can't afford that.
You have 2 years of previous study under SFE rules. That means you’re not eligible for a tuition fee loan for year 1 of a new course unless you provide evidence of compelling personal reasons for leaving your courses previously.

You should still be eligible for a maintenance loan. If you’ve been refused then that’s usually because you have stated that you were awarded a degree from your previous study.
Reply 2
I applied for the maximum tuition fee loan (£9250) and maximum maintenance loan (£8000+), SFE approved my application. But will only pay £0.00 for both. Any advice?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
You have 2 years of previous study under SFE rules. That means you’re not eligible for a tuition fee loan for year 1 of a new course unless you provide evidence of compelling personal reasons for leaving your courses previously.

You should still be eligible for a maintenance loan. If you’ve been refused then that’s usually because you have stated that you were awarded a degree from your previous study.

Hi, thanks for replying. I was not awarded a degree from my previous study and I included this information in the application.
In relation to the former, SFE have not asked for any evidence of compelling reasons for leaving my previous courses. Any advice?
Original post by BriBri20
Hi, thanks for replying. I was not awarded a degree from my previous study and I included this information in the application.
In relation to the former, SFE have not asked for any evidence of compelling reasons for leaving my previous courses. Any advice?

SFE don’t ask for CPR evidence. The onus is on you to submit evidence with a cover letter if you want previous study disregarded.

If you definitely didn’t state that you hold a degree in your application then you need to also ask SFE (use the chat function on your application during office hours) why they’re refusing your application for a maintenance loan.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
SFE don’t ask for CPR evidence. The onus is on you to submit evidence with a cover letter if you want previous study disregarded.

If you definitely didn’t state that you hold a degree in your application then you need to also ask SFE (use the chat function on your application during office hours) why they’re refusing your application for a maintenance loan.

Many thanks for your help!
Original post by BriBri20
Hi, I am stumped here, Student Finance England approved my application, they sent over my first maintenance loan instalment then they sent me an email saying I need to pay them back the maintenance loan and they're not giving me a loan for tuition fees either. I'm so confused.

To give context, I began an undergrad course at my university and withdrew before the first year ended. I informed SFE to cancel the loan payments and they stopped. The following year I applied to a different course, at the same university. SFE approved and funded me. However, I had to withdraw from that course as well before the 1st year ended, informed SFE and they stopped the funding. So that's not even 2 years of partial funding from SFE.

Here's where the issue happens. I have applied for a new undergrad course at a different university, and SFE approved. They sent me the first maintenance loan instalment. The uni term has begun. Then I get an email from SFE that my funding has been cancelled, I need to pay back the initial maintenance loan and, I wish I was joking, they state my "loan for tuition fees has been approved: £0 granted". What on earth is going on????

Do I have to get lawyers involved? I can't afford that.

If you're able to contact us via the live chat in your account or on 0300 100 0607 we'll look into this and help you get this resolved. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending