The Student Room Group

How sexist are you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0zzu
Damn! You're pretty ambitious, making that many assumptions!

I'll tell you what I mean by true/false. This is a question in the "test":
"3.Women seek to gain power by getting control over men."

I would answer that with 'disagree strongly'. Not because that's what I think, but because I'm sure there are some who do, but not all women, like the question suggests.

And it's the same for the next question; "4. Every man ought to have a woman whom he adores."

But, where the question is not certain, like question 7:
"7. Once a woman gets a man to commit to her, she usually tries to put him on a tight leash."

I will select 'agree slightly', because now the question is not either all or nothing, it's usually. So, thinking rationally, I would put 'agree slightly' because there are some who do. I'm not agreeing strongly, because there is no evidence to suggest that it is 'usually', but putting down disagree strongly would be plain ignorance. This is not sexism however, because I would put the same answer if it were the opposite direction - but guess what? The test apparently thinks sexism only happens to women, so there are no questions like that.

I am not a sexist - according to the definition, at least.
"prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex."

The only cases would be:
1) Subconsciously making judgements/stereotypes, but every single human does that and you can't control your subconscious mind, only try your best not to take action on it. Which, IMO, I do pretty damn well.

2) When biological sex actually affects the situation at hand. For example, signing up to an elite military force. You need to be in the absolute best physical condition, and there is actual scientific research that shows women (on average) have a lower maximum limit than men (on average) in terms of physical ability. This means, that if you are a woman and are at peak physical condition but still cannot keep up with your male counterparts - denying you a place is not sexism.

I'm saying there are problems with the test because there are. There is no account for the fact that some things are fact-based and not opinion-based, there is no equal representation of sexism for both males and females and questions are very equivocal and vague in meaning. The test is biased, not me.

It absolutely disgusts me to see sexism and racism and other forms of irrational discrimination. It is completely pointless and against the progression of the human race. So if you're going to accuse me of being a sexist, you'd better have some solid points.

This was my exact thought. With questions such as ' women control men once they commit'. Some women do and some women don't, but it wanted you to pick between all do or all don't, so i had to go with agree slightly as i know some people who do.
Original post by 0zzu
Damn! You're pretty ambitious, making that many assumptions!

I'll tell you what I mean by true/false. This is a question in the "test":
"3.Women seek to gain power by getting control over men."

I would answer that with 'disagree strongly'. Not because that's what I think, but because I'm sure there are some who do, but not all women, like the question suggests.

And it's the same for the next question; "4. Every man ought to have a woman whom he adores."

But, where the question is not certain, like question 7:
"7. Once a woman gets a man to commit to her, she usually tries to put him on a tight leash."

I will select 'agree slightly', because now the question is not either all or nothing, it's usually. So, thinking rationally, I would put 'agree slightly' because there are some who do. I'm not agreeing strongly, because there is no evidence to suggest that it is 'usually', but putting down disagree strongly would be plain ignorance. This is not sexism however, because I would put the same answer if it were the opposite direction - but guess what? The test apparently thinks sexism only happens to women, so there are no questions like that.

I am not a sexist - according to the definition, at least.
"prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex."

The only cases would be:
1) Subconsciously making judgements/stereotypes, but every single human does that and you can't control your subconscious mind, only try your best not to take action on it. Which, IMO, I do pretty damn well.

2) When biological sex actually affects the situation at hand. For example, signing up to an elite military force. You need to be in the absolute best physical condition, and there is actual scientific research that shows women (on average) have a lower maximum limit than men (on average) in terms of physical ability. This means, that if you are a woman and are at peak physical condition but still cannot keep up with your male counterparts - denying you a place is not sexism.

I'm saying there are problems with the test because there are. There is no account for the fact that some things are fact-based and not opinion-based, there is no equal representation of sexism for both males and females and questions are very equivocal and vague in meaning. The test is biased, not me.

It absolutely disgusts me to see sexism and racism and other forms of irrational discrimination. It is completely pointless and against the progression of the human race. So if you're going to accuse me of being a sexist, you'd better have some solid points.

But the focus of the test is sexism towards to women. It would be pretty complex, and a little pointless to assess sexism to both men and women within one test.

That criticism is akin to saying that a test that measures depression doesn't think that anxiety exists and is biased, because it has no anxiety items. Although that would actually be more fair as at least anxiety and depression are often co-morbid.

If you read out a brief description of sexism such as the one you provided, and told people to read it and rate the extent to which they are sexist, do you honestly believe that all those who do hold sexist beliefs will say "yeah I hold my hand up, I am very sexist".

'Course not, for many reasons including social desirability, simply not realising it, or thinking that any beliefs which could be considered sexist are justified in some way and therefore not sexist but fact.

In other words, it would be a pretty **** measure of attitudes. And not only that, it would also completely ignore the entire rational behind their theory that sexism is multi-dimensional. The creation of this test was purely to asses dimensions within sexism.

I agree that the test could be more specific in regards to the use of "usually, always etc". But I think you're overthinking it a little, for example when I read a statement such as "women seek to gain power", I take that to mean usually not always.
And besides, I'm certain that the internal consistency (reliability)
for this test is high. Otherwise it wouldn't be so persistently used in research, and would have struggled to have faced publication in the first place.

This test is one of the most commonly used measures for sexism in psychology. For example one study found that the measure of hostile sexism positively correlated with rape myth acceptance (http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11199-007-9196-2)

I just think people are being too quick to brush of this test as useless when they don't know the research surrounding it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got 0 for both. I disagreed with everything. They're all generalisations...
Reply 143
Original post by Twinpeaks
But the focus of the test is sexism towards to women. It would be pretty complex, and a little pointless to assess sexism to both men and women within one test.

That criticism is akin to saying that a test that measures depression doesn't think that anxiety exists and is biased, because it has no anxiety items. Although that would actually be more fair as at least anxiety and depression are often co-morbid.

If you read out a brief description of sexism such as the one you provided, and told people to read it and rate the extent to which they are sexist, do you honestly believe that all those who do hold sexist beliefs will say "yeah I hold my hand up, I am very sexist".

'Course not, for many reasons including social desirability, simply not realising it, or thinking that any beliefs which could be considered sexist are justified in some way and therefore not sexist but fact.

In other words, it would be a pretty **** measure of attitudes. And not only that, it would also completely ignore the entire rational behind their theory that sexism is multi-dimensional. The creation of this test was purely to asses dimensions within sexism.

I agree that the test could be more specific in regards to the use of "usually, always etc". But I think you're overthinking it a little, for example when I read a statement such as "women seek to gain power", I take that to mean usually not always.
And besides, I'm certain that the internal consistency (reliability)
for this test is high. Otherwise it wouldn't be so persistently used in research, and would have struggled to have faced publication in the first place.

This test is one of the most commonly used measures for sexism in psychology. For example one study found that the measure of hostile sexism positively correlated with rape myth acceptance (http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11199-007-9196-2)

I just think people are being too quick to brush of this test as useless when they don't know the research surrounding it.

Oh my. There are just so many things wrong with this comment, but I don't have the time or energy to point them all out. Even if I do, you haven't made it very apparent that you're open minded to the fact that you just might be wrong.

(Inb4 accused of leaving because I can't argue with your points)
Original post by 0zzu
Oh my. There are just so many things wrong with this comment, but I don't have the time or energy to point them all out. Even if I do, you haven't made it very apparent that you're open minded to the fact that you just might be wrong.

(Inb4 accused of leaving because I can't argue with your points)

Well that's exactly what I'm going to think...
Does women refer to all women or some women? I ask because for questions like "Women should be cherished and protected by men", I think yes, we should cherish and protect our mums, sisters and daughters, just as well as our male family members. But we don't need to do the same for every random in society...
Original post by Zargabaath
Does women refer to all women or some women? I ask because for questions like "Women should be cherished and protected by men", I think yes, we should cherish and protect our mums, sisters and daughters, just as well as our male family members. But we don't need to do the same for every random in society...

I took it to mean women as a whole.
Took the test and damn :lol: clearly I'm a woman hating, abuser who would love nothing more than to control and beat a woman into doing as I want :lol: such a moronic test.

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 20.55.38.png
1.5 for Hostile and 2.17 for Benevolent. The whole quiz seems to be sexist :lol:
Original post by Twinpeaks
I took it to mean women as a whole.

In which case I disagreed strongly with most of the questions because you can't generalise like that.
I don't like this quiz, it's too easy to predict what the "correct" answer should be and it's a little ambiguous to what it's asking.

(edited 7 years ago)
Hostile Sexism: 1
Benevolent Sexism: 1.5

So, almost not sexist at all.
Reply 151
3.17 hostile
0.17 benevolent

some of the questions were just ridiculous though, about men protecting and cherishing women, just lmao.
Original post by Zargabaath
In which case I disagreed strongly with most of the questions because you can't generalise like that.
I don't like this quiz, it's too easy to predict what the "correct" answer should be and it's a little ambiguous to what it's asking.

... Well considering that generalisations are the most fundamental bases for sexism, then yeah, you would disagree strongly with it. Unless you held sexist beliefs.

I don't think it's too easy to predict what the correct answer should be, quite a few people commented on here that they thought the benevelovent sexism items were scored reversely to how they are.

And besides it's obvious to us because we aren't sexist. We know it's wrong to think that women are purer souls etc, but some do think that.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest