The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What is your level of education on economics?
Reply 2
democracy
Original post by TaintedLight
Their inability to understand economics has just made my life more difficult ?

The old people and the whole Leave voters (including me) saved your arse. We saved your arse from falling into a dictatorship. Our economy and wages were already under strain. Why carry on being in the EU? We are better off now. It will take a bit of time but we will be better off.
I thank God for the victory.
They've paid taxes for around 40 years, how much have you paid?
Reply 5
Because they've worked, paid tax and lived in the UK for the longest - they've contributed to the UK and so they deserve to vote.

They've actually seen the effects of joining the EU for themselves, no matter how positive or negative its impacts have been.

If us young people now were not allowed to vote when we're older, we'd naturally object against this discrimination because we'd feel entitled to be able to vote. The same applies for elderly people now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Sean Lock warned us...
Reply 7
Original post by Naveed-7
The old people and the whole Leave voters (including me) saved your arse. We saved your arse from falling into a dictatorship. Our economy and wages were already under strain. Why carry on being in the EU? We are better off now. It will take a bit of time but we will be better off.

stop, you are actually embarrassing yourself

Democracy.

It's the worst form of government apart from all of the other ones.

Everyone deserves a vote - even if you don't agree with them.

And yes, I voted remain and this sums up pretty well how I feel at the moment https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cltu_AbWMAARCDH.jpg

But yeah, everyone does deserve a vote, no matter how frustrating it is. At least now we know more about what the British population is really like. I think it's tragic, hopefully Britain will survive and this will be a bit of a wake up call/reform call to Brussels.
Because democracy. And yet 16 and 17 year olds who are perhaps more interested in this than the average adult, are undemocratically excluded from voting.
Original post by JoeK6
Because they've worked, paid tax and lived in the UK for the longest - they've contributed to the UK and so they deserve to vote.

They've actually seen the effects of joining the EU for themselves, no matter how positive or negative its impacts have been.

If us young people now were not allowed to vote when we're older, we'd naturally object against this discrimination because we'd feel entitled to be able to vote. The same applies for elderly people now.

They're the baby boomers. They've been around the longest, but they were already stereotyped as being a generation of narcissists by their elders and have done nothing to disprove this. They've buried us all in a cycle of debt.

Oh well. No point worrying about it now. Best get our heads down and work on making sure Britain gets through this.
Original post by jamiep151

:frown:
Reply 12
Contrary to what remain voters think, not all old people drop dead at 66. Its their future too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah well, now they can say bye bye to their pensions for a while!

There is quite a strong correlation between wage levels and likelihood of voting for leave. Should we also call into question whether people who earn below Β£14/hour should allowed to vote?

http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/media/blog/the-referendum-living-standards-and-inequality/
Original post by JoeK6

But you see, voting isn't like a nice little reward you get for being a good little citizen. The vote, for referendums and general elections is a precious commodity, which is used to create fundamental changes for the future of entire sovereign states. These vote outcomes, as you can see here and can learn from the past, have global impacts. Therefore it would be deemed wise to hand this responsibility to those who will be living and outliving these consequences for the longest period of time thereafter.
How dare you advocate the banning of our ex serviceman doctors civil servants house builders bankers labourers etc from voting. All the young care about is Erasmus funding and visa free travel #firstworldproblems

Nothing more needs to be said.

Next question OP.
Original post by Naveed-7

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
What have you contributed to Britain OP? A big fat NOTHING. It should be the under 25s and unemployed who are unable to vote.