The Student Room Group

UCAS application

How do i answer this on my application

Do you, or will you, have any qualifications from this centre?

I left sixth form without sitting my a levels and am now currently applying as a private candidate...i recieved X's
Original post by AHAWA
How do i answer this on my application

Do you, or will you, have any qualifications from this centre?

I left sixth form without sitting my a levels and am now currently applying as a private candidate...i recieved X's

At that exam centre (your sixth form) you did not - and will not - obtain any qualifications. So that answer would be "No".

However, you will need to list the exam centre where you will be taking your exams as a private candidate. Just list the start/end dates as May/June 2024 (or whenever you'll be taking your exams). You will then be able to list the qualifications you'll be taking there.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
At that exam centre (your sixth form) you did not - and will not - obtain any qualifications. So that answer would be "No".

However, you will need to list the exam centre where you will be taking your exams as a private candidate. Just list the start/end dates as May/June 2024 (or whenever you'll be taking your exams). You will then be able to list the qualifications you'll be taking there.

for my predicteds should i put the predicteds i had when i was at my former sixth form and i also changed a course so what should i do for that predicted grade?
Original post by AHAWA
for my predicteds should i put the predicteds i had when i was at my former sixth form and i also changed a course so what should i do for that predicted grade?

You don't enter predicted grades - your referee does that. Who are you using as your referee? Your old sixth form? A tutor? Somebody else?
Reply 4
You don't enter predicted grades - your referee does that. Who are you using as your referee? Your old sixth form? A tutor? Somebody else?

old tutor...thank you for the responses. final question; will quotes on my personal flag as plagiarism as they have on plagiarism checkers
Original post by AHAWA
old tutor...thank you for the responses. final question; will quotes on my personal flag as plagiarism as they have on plagiarism checkers

It will feed into the % match total, (if others have used the same quotes - they probably will), but there is a healthy margin allowed before your choices are notified about it.
Original post by AHAWA
old tutor...thank you for the responses.

OK. So you enter your grades as Pending. When UCAS notifies your old tutor that you've submitted your application, the'll update those pending grades to predicted grades.

If they are your "old" tutor, are they going to be in a position to make a prediction given that you say you "also changed a course"?

Original post by AHAWA
final question; will quotes on my personal flag as plagiarism as they have on plagiarism checkers

The "healthy margin allowed" which @Admit-One refers to above is 30%, I believe. So you having used the same quotes as others is unlikely to be an issue.

(Also, if your personal statement is genuinely your own work then you don't need to run a plagiarism checker anyway.)
Reply 7
OK. So you enter your grades as Pending. When UCAS notifies your old tutor that you've submitted your application, the'll update those pending grades to predicted grades.

If they are your "old" tutor, are they going to be in a position to make a prediction given that you say you "also changed a course"?

The "healthy margin allowed" which @Admit-One refers to above is 30%, I believe. So you having used the same quotes as others is unlikely to be an issue.

(Also, if your personal statement is genuinely your own work then you don't need to run a plagiarism checker anyway.)

Thank you soo much,,,final inane question (forgive me) im about to paste in my personal statement should i leave gaps in between, it appears that it wont be read in that form anyway. i might as well remove all gaps no?
Leave the gaps in.

You won’t see them in the preview, but it will improve readability at the other end.
Original post by AHAWA
Thank you soo much,,,final inane question (forgive me) im about to paste in my personal statement should i leave gaps in between, it appears that it wont be read in that form anyway. i might as well remove all gaps no?

You get 47 lines. If you have spare lines for the gaps, then include them as paragraph separators. As @Admit-One says, it makes it much easier for the reader.
Reply 10
You get 47 lines. If you have spare lines for the gaps, then include them as paragraph separators. As @Admit-One says, it makes it much easier for the reader.

thank you so much,,,i checked my ps on an ai checker and it says 65% is AI which is not true...surely universities will know...
Original post by AHAWA
thank you so much,,,i checked my ps on an ai checker and it says 65% is AI which is not true...surely universities will know...

If it's all your own work then there is no need to run it through any kind of checker, plagiarism or AI.It's a complete waste of time and as you've seen, will just give you more anxiety about something which you already know that you wrote.

The number spat out by an AI checker is meaningless. AI's are trained on big datasets of actual statements, so of course there is going to be some similarity when you compare a human written one to one based on many thousands of statements.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by AHAWA

I'm completely baffled. Did you write your personal statement yourself? Without any use of AI? (Even just to "polish" the grammar?) Then why run it through a plagiarism checker, which you mentioned in post #5 and why run it through an AI detector?
Reply 13
I'm completely baffled. Did you write your personal statement yourself? Without any use of AI? (Even just to "polish" the grammar?) Then why run it through a plagiarism checker, which you mentioned in post #5 and why run it through an AI detector?

im a chronic over thinker thats why!!
Reply 14

ahh turns out i was stressing for no reason whatsoever...it was a scam to try and get me to pay for a subscription when i did i said 12% likeliness...shouldve listened to you guys. Thanks for all the help :smile:))
Original post by AHAWA
ahh turns out i was stressing for no reason whatsoever...it was a scam to try and get me to pay for a subscription when i did i said 12% likeliness...shouldve listened to you guys. Thanks for all the help :smile:))

How much did the scam (subscription) cost you?
Reply 16
How much did the scam (subscription) cost you?

it was Scribbr/ 14 quid :frown:((
Original post by AHAWA
it was Scribbr/ 14 quid :frown:((

Thanks. I've made a note. (So that when someone mentions running one of these irrelevant checks in future, I can point out the financial risk of doing so!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending