The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great!!!! LETS WHIP OUT THE BRAVEHEART DVD AND DOWN SOME SCOTCH LADS!!!!!
Omgsh Spain and Belgium are trying to get there own back on us leaving the EU.
Reply 3
Scotland chose to remain part of the UK. Sturgeon and co. should stop complaining, the UK as a whole voted to Leave. If Scotland does vote for independence, they would almost certainly end up worse off than the UK they left behind.
Reply 4
good riddance
Original post by ATW1
Scotland chose to remain part of the UK. Sturgeon and co. should stop complaining, the UK as a whole voted to Leave. If Scotland does vote for independence, they would almost certainly end up worse off than the UK they left behind.

I don't think you get it. Scotland just chose to stay based on arguments like security. You have now thrown the pound off a cliff, companies are likely to leave ect. They are going. This is the death of the UK.
Original post by elitepower
I don't think you get it. Scotland just chose to stay based on arguments like security. You have now thrown the pound off a cliff, companies are likely to leave ect. They are going. This is the death of the UK.

Scotland runs a massive deficit which is covered by the rest of the UK and Spain and Belgium would never let them join the EU since they have their own nationalist problems which they are seeking to crush. It would be Scotland, but itself, without the pound and without the EU.

GG fool.
Reply 7
When they voted on independence, it had been made absolutely clear that there would been an In/Out referendum on the EU. Cameron first offered it in January 2013. They voted to remain knowing full well that there would be an UK wide EU referendum in the coming years, and they must have known that the result of that referendum could go either way. I don't believe the claim that Scotland voted to remain in the UK so they could stay in the EU.
Saying that Scotland has no right to complain because they voted to stay in 2014 is like a captain complaining that people are jumping off the ship when he intentionally steers into an iceberg.

A large majority of them decided to stay because they were under the impression that the UK as a whole was going to stay in the EU. Back then, I was in favor of staying together, as I thought that our goals were mutual. But as it turns out, they're really not. All of Scotland's 32 council districts voted to remain. It is obvious that the people of Scotland have a different, more enlightened way of thinking about their future and they should be allowed to have a second referendum to be able to follow a path they need to. Just because we're sinking, doesn't mean they have to.
Original post by ATW1
When they voted on independence, it had been made absolutely clear that there would been an In/Out referendum on the EU. Cameron first offered it in January 2013. They voted to remain knowing full well that there would be an UK wide EU referendum in the coming years, and they must have known that the result of that referendum could go either way. I don't believe the claim that Scotland voted to remain in the UK so they could stay in the EU.

Come up here and talk to people if you believe that. People are furious. All the benefits and arguments of the Stay campaign have been wiped out overnight. Scotland sees themselves as Europeans and now Britain is dragging them into a decision that they vehemently oppose, a decision that has harmed their economy and a decision that has shown a ugliness they do not want to associate with. There has been a outpouring of support, a new independence referendum is being discussed as a very clear possibility and events showing support are going on. Tomorrow in Edinburgh there will be a rally in favour of keeping Scotland in the EU. Scotland hates this decision and wasn't too pleased about remaining as it was. Scotland. Is. Leaving.
Original post by Withengar
Saying that Scotland has no right to complain because they voted to stay in 2014 is like a captain complaining that people are jumping off the ship when he intentionally steers into an iceberg.

A large majority of them decided to stay because they were under the impression that the UK as a whole was going to stay in the EU. Back then, I was in favor of staying together, as I thought that our goals were mutual. But as it turns out, they're really not. All of Scotland's 32 council districts voted to remain. It is obvious that the people of Scotland have a different, more enlightened way of thinking about their future and they should be allowed to have a second referendum to be able to follow a path they need to. Just because we're sinking, doesn't mean they have to.

100%. As a English (not proud to be associated with that term this week) person living in Scotland, I previously believing stay was the correct answer for the benefits on both nations. However with this vote, I get Scotland's desire for independence. They don't see a union, they see a anchor dragging them into mistakes they vehemently oppose. Scotland has made it very clear they oppose this and it leaving is now inevitable.
You have a cool name, are you a gora?
I don't think you get it. Scotland just chose to stay based on arguments like security. You have now thrown the pound off a cliff............

Yes because joining the Euro is far more secure :rofl:

What sort of idiotic realm are you living in?

Scotland wants security so is going to join the Eurozone on the brink of collapse and will have to join the Euro :rofl:

Best joke I've heard all year.
Original post by welshiee
Yes because joining the Euro is far more secure :rofl:

What sort of idiotic realm are you living in?

Scotland wants security so is going to join the Eurozone on the brink of collapse and will have to join the Euro :rofl:

Best joke I've heard all year.

Scotland wants to be european. The pound has crashed, companies will flee, jobs will be lost. What benefit is there to Scotland staying? Its a choice between something they like and want vs a union they see as a burden where their decisions are overridden and is chaos.
Reply 15
Come up here and talk to people if you believe that. People are furious. All the benefits and arguments of the Stay campaign have been wiped out overnight. Scotland sees themselves as Europeans and now Britain is dragging them into a decision that they vehemently oppose, a decision that has harmed their economy and a decision that has shown a ugliness they do not want to associate with. There has been a outpouring of support, a new independence referendum is being discussed as a very clear possibility and events showing support are going on. Tomorrow in Edinburgh there will be a rally in favour of keeping Scotland in the EU. Scotland hates this decision and wasn't too pleased about remaining as it was. Scotland. Is. Leaving.

Scotland and Scots will still be European after we leave the EU. So will England and English people. We are geographically located in Europe, but have opted out of a failing political union. It's entirely up to the people of Scotland if they now want to push for independence, but you should be aware that leaving the UK by no means guarantees that you can join the EU. It is likely that Spain, Belgium and possibly more EU members would veto a Scottish application to join the EU. Scotland voting to leave the UK would harm Scotland significantly more than the UK.
I don't think they should jump into this before the implications are clear. The EU itself might become less desirable to join by the time they get around to leaving the UK.

A lot of the arguments about what's going to happen all assume that the EU will remain as strong as it is now, and that it's going to remain united. That's not a guarantee. Yes, that could happen, but all of Europe is now facing uncertainty. Not just the UK.
Reply 17
EU membership or not, Scotland is going. The carrot of retaining EU membership is no longer there to encourage people to vote No.

Economic arguments as to why Scotland will stay are based on flawed principles, and I would be stunned to find myself still living in the UK in 5 years time.
The phrase "Scot-free" springs to mind. :ahee:
Reply 19
Original post by jeremy1988
I don't think they should jump into this before the implications are clear. The EU itself might become less desirable to join by the time they get around to leaving the UK.

A lot of the arguments about what's going to happen all assume that the EU will remain as strong as it is now, and that it's going to remain united. That's not a guarantee. Yes, that could happen, but all of Europe is now facing uncertainty. Not just the UK.

See my post below yours. At the end of the day it's one (major) incentive less to stay in the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply