The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2017 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matilda246
Maybe you should get in contact with them? Or maybe hang fire a bit - they should be having more than one interview day, I think!

No, the BSc isn't funded. But, the government have allowed that another student loan can be accessed. I asked the course administrator at Manchester Met!

All the best x

Ah thank you for letting me know about the BSc. I might contact some universities and see if I can get in a late application!
Yeah I'm going to try and hang in there for a little while, keep spam checking every day in the hope haha. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon 😘😘
Reply 581
Just to let those of you know who applied to City. Me and my impatient self decided to phone City to confirm if they are going to tell us in March/ April . The lady on the phone explained the date has been brought forward and will be in March! Thank goodness so not long hopefully!
Good luck!
Has anyone heard back from City?
Original post by SarcasticQueen
Has anyone heard back from City?

Have you heard?
I still can't get over how long you've been waiting to hear...
Reply 584
I heard today... number 41 on the waiting list!
doubt 41 people will be dropping out
Original post by rainbowworld
Have you heard?
I still can't get over how long you've been waiting to hear...

I didn't get in again. Not even on the waiting list this year.
Totally heartbroken tbh
Original post by Danielle2708
Totally heartbroken tbh

me too, can't believe I got my hopes up again after being put into a last minute interview! Absolutely gutted
Original post by jod123w
I heard today... number 41 on the waiting list!
doubt 41 people will be dropping out

Wow that's a long waiting list! You never know though.
Original post by Danielle2708
Totally heartbroken tbh

Original post by TeaChild
me too, can't believe I got my hopes up again after being put into a last minute interview! Absolutely gutted

Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear this :frown: I was really hoping some people on here would get offers :frown: is the feedback any use?
Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear this :frown: I was really hoping some people on here would get offers :frown: is the feedback any use?

didn't offer any feedback! As usual though
didn't offer any feedback! As usual though

Urgh, rubbish. What do you think you will do now? Are you waiting on any other unis?
Urgh, rubbish. What do you think you will do now? Are you waiting on any other unis?

Nooo that's it for me unfortunately, no masters for me. So will carry on working and saving this year and apply to a few more next year, even though i won't be able to afford the course next year once they've scrapped the NHS funding :L ridiculous! Not sure i'll be going now but we'll see!
Nooo that's it for me unfortunately, no masters for me. So will carry on working and saving this year and apply to a few more next year, even though i won't be able to afford the course next year once they've scrapped the NHS funding :L ridiculous! Not sure i'll be going now but we'll see!

Oh no, sorry to hear that. It is just so competitive! Especially this year because of the funding. Would you consider doing the undergrad? They might decide they will offer loans for the postgrad course too before next year.
Oh no, sorry to hear that. It is just so competitive! Especially this year because of the funding. Would you consider doing the undergrad? They might decide they will offer loans for the postgrad course too before next year.

potentially if that is the case! But as i already have my bachelors i'm not sure if i will. Just gotta try agai next year eh

I didn't get in this year too ! To be honest they interviewed so many people this year I knew it would be competitive. I'm going to apply for Greenwich and Essex MSC.. I've spoken to Greenwich and they told me that NHS would still be funding for their intake in 2018 (as they are within the time frame). Essex deadline is at the end of this month.
Original post by Adesola
I didn't get in this year too ! To be honest they interviewed so many people this year I knew it would be competitive. I'm going to apply for Greenwich and Essex MSC.. I've spoken to Greenwich and they told me that NHS would still be funding for their intake in 2018 (as they are within the time frame). Essex deadline is at the end of this month.

That is a good idea! Just a bit further outside of London, especially the Greenwich one which is based in Kent but it's definitely worth a shot while the fees are funded :smile:
That is a good idea! Just a bit further outside of London, especially the Greenwich one which is based in Kent but it's definitely worth a shot while the fees are funded :smile:

Changed my mind ! I'm thinking of applying to the BSC at City, the Greenwich and the Essex campus is quite far from me. It didn't seem that far but looking closely it actually is. If I get into the BSC at City and get over 60 percent in the first two years I can convert my final year into a Masters. So we shall see.
Hello,

Rather late to the discussion here, sorry; but I am a second year student at the University of Aberdeen (studying English and Language & Linguistics), and I am very interested in pursuing a career in Speech and Language Therapy.

I will hopefully be applying for a postgraduate degree starting at around August/September 2019 (as I am studying at a Scottish university, we have four years of study, as opposed to three years). I am just a bit concerned about my experience. I have been volunteering as a Guides leader with Girlguiding since around September/October 2014 (the age range in Guides is around 10-13 years old); I also worked in a summer school last summer, which focused on teaching English to Italian and French children. I was just working as an activity leader, so I was not working as a teacher, but I did take a few "conversation classes", which were basically just me talking to the children in English (as I cannot speak Italian or French anyway), and they would often include a debate or discussion on a certain topic (i.e. Scottish Independence, the EU referendum, whether books are better than movies, etc.). The children I was working with over the summer in that summer school were around 12-17 years old (there were a lot of groups that came from around 5 or 6 different schools over the course of the whole month, so there was a pretty wide variety of age groups; there definitely weren't any children under the age of 12, though).

I also did three days of shadowing with a speech therapist's assistant in that same summer, and I am currently speaking to her about doing more shadowing this summer.

I have also just sent some emails to the National Autistic Society, and a school in Aberdeen that only teaches autistic children, asking if they have any volunteer work positions availabe; I also made it pretty clear that I would like to volunteer with people who have autisim, as it is relevant to the career path that I want to follow.

I also sent an email to QMU a few months ago, asking about what experience I need to be considered for a place in their postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy programme, and they basically said that I would need a second class grading in my degree (I assume that means that I need a 2:1), and that in terms of volunteer work "Anything similar, and related to health-care, will assist the application for this course".

I was just wondering how other people got shadowing with speech therapists? I only managed to get my three days of shadowing with a speech therapist's assistant, which I imagine is not as good as shadowing with an actual speech therapist. I was considering sending some emails to some private speech therapists about this - would that be a good idea?

Also, are there any other fields of volunteer/paid work that I could consider in relation to this career path that would help my application?
Reply 598
Original post by Converse&Roses
Hello,

Rather late to the discussion here, sorry; but I am a second year student at the University of Aberdeen (studying English and Language & Linguistics), and I am very interested in pursuing a career in Speech and Language Therapy.

I will hopefully be applying for a postgraduate degree starting at around August/September 2019 (as I am studying at a Scottish university, we have four years of study, as opposed to three years). I am just a bit concerned about my experience. I have been volunteering as a Guides leader with Girlguiding since around September/October 2014 (the age range in Guides is around 10-13 years old); I also worked in a summer school last summer, which focused on teaching English to Italian and French children. I was just working as an activity leader, so I was not working as a teacher, but I did take a few "conversation classes", which were basically just me talking to the children in English (as I cannot speak Italian or French anyway), and they would often include a debate or discussion on a certain topic (i.e. Scottish Independence, the EU referendum, whether books are better than movies, etc.). The children I was working with over the summer in that summer school were around 12-17 years old (there were a lot of groups that came from around 5 or 6 different schools over the course of the whole month, so there was a pretty wide variety of age groups; there definitely weren't any children under the age of 12, though).

I also did three days of shadowing with a speech therapist's assistant in that same summer, and I am currently speaking to her about doing more shadowing this summer.

I have also just sent some emails to the National Autistic Society, and a school in Aberdeen that only teaches autistic children, asking if they have any volunteer work positions availabe; I also made it pretty clear that I would like to volunteer with people who have autisim, as it is relevant to the career path that I want to follow.

I also sent an email to QMU a few months ago, asking about what experience I need to be considered for a place in their postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy programme, and they basically said that I would need a second class grading in my degree (I assume that means that I need a 2:1), and that in terms of volunteer work "Anything similar, and related to health-care, will assist the application for this course".

I was just wondering how other people got shadowing with speech therapists? I only managed to get my three days of shadowing with a speech therapist's assistant, which I imagine is not as good as shadowing with an actual speech therapist. I was considering sending some emails to some private speech therapists about this - would that be a good idea?

Also, are there any other fields of volunteer/paid work that I could consider in relation to this career path that would help my application?

Hey! Good luck with your degree and application.

You should definitely send out emails to private speech therapists - they are more likely to take you on and this is how I gained my experience. Also I contacted my local early support discharge team (speech and language therapists) at my local hospital and had observation sessions. You should also look at volunteering maybe ? I volunteer as a communication enabler for the stroke association and found that so useful in terms of looking at clients asessments and working with people who have asphasia. You can sign up on their website and can also access various online training for free to do with speech and communication difficulties :smile:

Hope that was a bit helpful!

- J
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Adesola
Changed my mind ! I'm thinking of applying to the BSC at City, the Greenwich and the Essex campus is quite far from me. It didn't seem that far but looking closely it actually is. If I get into the BSC at City and get over 60 percent in the first two years I can convert my final year into a Masters. So we shall see.

Oh I didn't know that about the BSc at City. You could always just apply for the others and decide later if you get a place?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending