The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notnek
Draw a big diagram showing the origin and draw all of the position vectors. To find the coordinates of D you need the position vector of D i.e. you need the vector OD.

Think about GCSE vector pathways to find a vector path which takes you from O to D. If you've drawn a good diagram with all the information on it then this shouldn't be too hard.

If you're stuck, please post the diagram that you have drawn.

why cant you draw a parallelogram with A, B, C, D instead? I dont understand why it has to be from O??
Original post by JD2015AS
Yes RDK I know I know I'm Sorry,

Im just all over the place today :frown:

Vdu + Udv

Youre not the only one :tongue:
Original post by kiiten
why cant you draw a parallelogram with A, B, C, D instead? I dont understand why it has to be from O??

He's not saying it has to be from O... he said to draw a diagram including the origin. Not that the parallelogram has to start from the origin.

However the coordinate D is given by the position vector OD by definition, which is why it's good to have the origin drawn on in the diagram, so you can figure out where D is and hence what OD is.
Original post by kiiten

You need A, B, C and D on your diagram. But you should also include an origin somewhere (choose some random place on your diagram). Then finding the coordinates of D is equivalent to finding the vector OD.
Original post by Zacken
He's not saying it has to be from O... he said to draw a diagram including the origin. Not that the parallelogram has to start from the origin.

However the coordinate D is given by the position vector OD by definition, which is why it's good to have the origin drawn on in the diagram, so you can figure out where D is and hence what OD is.

Original post by notnek
You need A, B, C and D on your diagram. But you should also include an origin somewhere (choose some random place on your diagram). Then finding the coordinates of D is equivalent to finding the vector OD.

Sorry for the bad diagram. Like this?

zzz.png
Original post by kiiten

zzz.png

Preferably with axes :P
Original post by Zacken

Oh yeah, oops :3

Ok so now i have the diagram. How do i know what direction the vectors and what do i do next?

zzz.png
Original post by kiiten

zzz.png

ABCD is the parallelogram which means that A should be connected to B and B should be connected to C etc.

Draw the vector OD on your diagram because this is what you're trying to find. Also draw on OA, OB and OC because you are given these in the question (they're coordinates but that's basically the same as a position vector). Also notice that you've already found the vector BA.

See if you can use GCSE vectors to come up with a vector path to find OD.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

Not sure if axes are useful here, especially since the coordinates are 3d?
Original post by notnek
Not sure if axes are useful here, especially since the coordinates are 3d?

Ah yeah, fair enough. I've gotten into the habit of drawing axes on so I know what coordinate system I'm working in. Not relevant here, my bad.
Original post by kiiten
Oh yeah, oops :3

Ok so now i have the diagram. How do i know what direction the vectors and what do i do next?

zzz.png

???
Original post by kiiten
???

Please read my last reply to you and add everything to your diagram. Or let me know if you don't understand something in my last reply.

You're not the only one who finds these kind of C4 questions hard - the textbooks do not prepare you for them. But once you've done one it will help you with others.
Original post by kiiten
???

Did you see notneks reply? Your diagram needs to show A connecting to B connecting to C connecting to D.
Original post by notnek
ABCD is the parallelogram which means that A should be connected to B and B should be connected to C etc.

Draw the vector OD on your diagram because this is what you're trying to find. Also draw on OA, OB and OC because you are given these in the question (they're coordinates but that's basically the same as a position vector). Also notice that you've already found the vector BA.

See if you can use GCSE vectors to come up with a vector path to find OD.

Sorry i completely missed your reply. Like this?
zzz.png
BA = (-2, -6, 4)

OD = OA + AB + BC + CD ??

i feel like im doing something wrong here :s-smilie:
Original post by kiiten
Sorry i completely missed your reply. Like this?
zzz.png
BA = (-2, -6, 4)

OD = OA + AB + BC + CD ??

i feel like im doing something wrong here :s-smilie:

Good diagram.

From here you could notice that vector CD is equal to BA since it is a parallelogram.

But it's quicker to use this path:

OD = OC + CD.

Since you've already worked out vector BA in an earlier part, this method is the quickest.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek
Good diagram.

From here you could notice that vector CD is equal to BA since it is a parallelogram.

But it's quicker to use this path:

OD = OC + CD.

Since you've already worked out vector BA in an earlier part, this method is the quickest.

Ah i see. So:

OD = (11,6, -4) + (-2, -6, -4)

= (9, 0, 0) so coordinates of D are (9, 0, 0)

NOTE: I would normally write this is vector form (but not the final answer). How do i know when to use vectors or when to use coordinates (on certain questions the mark scheme alternates between both).
Original post by kiiten
Ah i see. So:

OD = (11,6, -4) + (-2, -6, -4)

= (9, 0, 0) so coordinates of D are (9, 0, 0)

NOTE: I would normally write this is vector form (but not the final answer). How do i know when to use vectors or when to use coordinates (on certain questions the mark scheme alternates between both).

The coordinates of a point is the position vector written in row form. When you're dealing with vectors e.g. when you're adding vectors then you should use column notation (or i,j,k notation). Here the final answer asks for the coordinates so whatever you've got for the position vector you can write in row form as the final answer.

For future C4 exam questions (especially later parts of the question) you need to draw a diagram like you did here and include everything that you're given in the question and everything that you've worked out in previous parts e.g. show a line if you have it's equation and draw on any angles that you've worked out. Often previous parts will help you with the later parts so look out for that. Make sure you always include an origin and drawing all the position vectors is also useful.
IMG_5672.jpg Can someone help me with parametric equation question. I'm not sure where to go from here. thank you so much!
Original post by cuppycake333
IMG_5672.jpg Can someone help me with parametric equation question. I'm not sure where to go from here. thank you so much!

You can rewrite the equations like this:

x=(et)2\displaystyle x=(e^t)^2

y=3et\displaystyle y=\frac{3}{e^t}

Does that help?

Spoiler

Also, please try to post attachments the correct way up. If you're having problems doing that then please read this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek
Start with the first one : you can rewrite them like this:

x=(et)2\displaystyle x=(e^t)^2

y=3et\displaystyle y=\frac{3}{e^t}

Does that help?

Also, please try to post attachments the correct way up. If you're having problems doing that then please read this.

This works,
Maybe try using the natural logarithm (ln) to remove e.

Quick Reply

Latest