The Student Room Group

Economics University

Hi guys, I’m doing English literature, Economics and Mathematics at a level. How much of a disadvantage would no Further Maths be even if I had predicted A*A*A or maybe higher? And what good/top/Russel group universities don’t require it. Also I’m looking into economics courses that aren’t too maths focused like Oxford’s Econ and Management, but aren’t PPE. Any suggestions?

And if I could do further maths AS Level I would have to do so externally - my school doesn’t offer it, how much would that cost and how do I go about it? And would unis recognise the as level if I did it in year 13 not year 12?
LSE, Cambridge, and maybe UCL are out. Warwick I think might be a longshot although officially I think they state they don't prefer it.

Note that if you're going to school in the UK the Advanced Maths Support Programme (AMSP) may be able to support you taking FM if your school doesn't offer it.
Original post by lili__1
Hi guys, I’m doing English literature, Economics and Mathematics at a level. How much of a disadvantage would no Further Maths be even if I had predicted A*A*A or maybe higher? And what good/top/Russel group universities don’t require it. Also I’m looking into economics courses that aren’t too maths focused like Oxford’s Econ and Management, but aren’t PPE. Any suggestions?

And if I could do further maths AS Level I would have to do so externally - my school doesn’t offer it, how much would that cost and how do I go about it? And would unis recognise the as level if I did it in year 13 not year 12?
Additionally - beyond the above poster's helpful comments - while Oxford's Economics & Management course doesn't sound particularly mathematical, the majority of successful applicants do indeed have further maths. So while they only state a minimum of an A in a-level maths, in practice it can be difficult to get in without it.

For courses outside the standard top five (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick) which have already been mentioned in the thread, the next best economics course don't require further maths. These generally include straight economics courses at Bath, Bristol, Nottingham, Durham, and Edinburgh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending