The Student Room Group

Giving up alcohol and what to do instead

I have an alcohol problem. I went 5 days without last week, then in 2 days had half a litre of rum, 2 bottles of wine and 4 beers, so about 50 units, on my own.

I have autism and schizophrenia, which probably doesnt help with the alcohol intake.

I think teetotal life is the only option for me.

I have got my job back so thatll keep me going sober for 25 hours of the week.

The things id like to do would be read more novels, study the textbooks for the maths degree i had to leave, learn my electric piano, play more guitar, exercise more and play my videogames.

Should i just play the videogames for now, as that is quite an easy activity to keep me busy as i come off alcohol? Or should i throw myself right into exercise to try to get endorphins etc going?
Exercise and focus on some of those other activities that you mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Join the movement.

[video="youtube;Dkm8Hteeh6M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkm8Hteeh6M[/video]
I agree with funkymama. Exercise would be good for you. You could maybe go on a run every time you have the urge to drink. You listed some things you'd like to do, why don't you just take a crack at them and go for it? What if you say went to read novels or study in a library where you obviously won't be able to drink. Put yourself in environments where you can't drink.
I say play videogames you need to do something fun and enjoyable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theres laods of things to do.
Reply 6
I feel your pain. Trying to cut back myself and it's a real struggle, only been 2 days so far..*
Instead of having an alcoholic drink, have a coffee, I sometimes do this to reduce my alcohol intake. I don't mean "have a coffee" to mean any non alcoholic drink, but specifically coffee for the small rush it will give you due to caffeine AND I find the idea of booze after coffee to be horrible so it puts me off having alcohol for a while. You could try energy drinks but they don't work as well for me as I used to drink a lot of vodka + Monster and always associate the two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
drink water instead :yep:
Focus your attention on your activities, you could even think about returning to your maths degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest