The Student Room Group

My dad is being unfair

On Friday I went out with some friends and drank way too much. I mixed in one glass: vodka, rum and tequila which I felt the affects of pretty quickly. I basically passed out and long story short my mum had to come pick me up at 3am when I was supposed to have gotten an Uber home by 1am. I was throwing up all night and had the worst hangover of my life on Saturday. Saturday morning I said sorry to my parents and although my dad was very angry ( that I couldn’t get myself home, he doesn’t mind me drinking) he didn’t really show it and kind of let it go which I was actually very grateful for because he normally would turn it into a big thing and I’d be in so much trouble. However, in half term which is one week away, my family is going away for a few days and I had mentioned that I wanted to stay home alone (it would be for the first time overnight) and my mum said maybe but when she spoke to my dad herself he straight away said no. But she said I could try ask him myself. So I did just now and he was like absolutely not and went on and on about how they couldn’t trust me and I have to earn it back and that sort of stuff. But I think he is being incredibly unfair as what happened on Friday was a complete accident like I fully intended on getting back home but I just didn’t know that the alcohol I had would have that effect on me. And this is something I have definitely learnt from. So even tho I said I would not drink at all and just wanted a couple friends round one night he still said no. And he got proper angry that I even asked considering it’s only been two days. So I just don’t know what to do and I don’t know why I should have to “earn their trust back”?
Original post by Mthomas10
On Friday I went out with some friends and drank way too much. I mixed in one glass: vodka, rum and tequila which I felt the affects of pretty quickly. I basically passed out and long story short my mum had to come pick me up at 3am when I was supposed to have gotten an Uber home by 1am. I was throwing up all night and had the worst hangover of my life on Saturday. Saturday morning I said sorry to my parents and although my dad was very angry ( that I couldn’t get myself home, he doesn’t mind me drinking) he didn’t really show it and kind of let it go which I was actually very grateful for because he normally would turn it into a big thing and I’d be in so much trouble. However, in half term which is one week away, my family is going away for a few days and I had mentioned that I wanted to stay home alone (it would be for the first time overnight) and my mum said maybe but when she spoke to my dad herself he straight away said no. But she said I could try ask him myself. So I did just now and he was like absolutely not and went on and on about how they couldn’t trust me and I have to earn it back and that sort of stuff. But I think he is being incredibly unfair as what happened on Friday was a complete accident like I fully intended on getting back home but I just didn’t know that the alcohol I had would have that effect on me. And this is something I have definitely learnt from. So even tho I said I would not drink at all and just wanted a couple friends round one night he still said no. And he got proper angry that I even asked considering it’s only been two days. So I just don’t know what to do and I don’t know why I should have to “earn their trust back”?

You told them you'd get an Uber back by 1:00am. That didn't happen. You "fully intended on getting back home", but instead got so drunk that you passed out.

So, when you "said I would not drink at all and just wanted a couple friends round", how does he know that this is actually what will happen? Perhaps you'll invite a dozen friends round, take some random cocktail of drugs, trash the house, and then say, "I just didn’t know that the drugs I had would have that effect on me".

Also, given that you say, "I mixed in one glass: vodka, rum and tequila" I don't see how you can also claim this was "a complete accident". You accidentally mixed three spirits?! To mix these three spirits was not an accident, it was a conscious decision. Decisions have consequences.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You told them you'd get an Uber back by 1:00am. That didn't happen. You "fully intended on getting back home", but instead got so drunk that you passed out.

So, when you "said I would not drink at all and just wanted a couple friends round", how does he know that this is actually what will happen? Perhaps you'll invite a dozen friends round, take some random cocktail of drugs, trash the house, and then say, "I just didn’t know that the drugs I had would have that effect on me".

Also, given that you say, "I mixed in one glass: vodka, rum and tequila" I don't see how you can also claim this was "a complete accident". You accidentally mixed three spirits?! To mix these three spirits was not an accident, it was a conscious decision. Decisions have consequences.

I wasn’t accidentally drinking alcohol but I just had no idea that would happen as I’ve never done it before and I’ve definitely learnt from that. I usually am so responsible as well. So how are they supposed to trust me if they don’t give me the opportunity to show them they can : (
Well you've just shown yourself to be irresponsible, naive and incapable. The fact your parent had to come and pick you up in such a state will be humiliating for them.

They'd be off their ****ing trolley to leave you alone at home for the first time to have friends over just after this, I mean, Duh?! :tongue:
Original post by Mthomas10
I wasn’t accidentally drinking alcohol but I just had no idea that would happen as I’ve never done it before and I’ve definitely learnt from that. I usually am so responsible as well. So how are they supposed to trust me if they don’t give me the opportunity to show them they can : (

It's all very raw right now, given that this only happened two days ago. You need to give them time - the half-term break is just too soon. Perhaps set your sights on being given an opportunity to demonstrate how responsible you are over summer.
You asked way too soon. Give it time to actually prove that you are capable of being responsible. So basically exactly what @DataVenia said
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
I would recommend becoming a teetotaller for the rest of your life and (fingers crossed!) in 10 years they will let you stay home alone. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending