The Student Room Group

Forgive a one night stand?

Hi guys, I need advice.
I found out last week that my boyfriend of 3 years (for context, he is 22 and I am 21) had a very drunken one night stand, he told me two weeks after. It was with someone we both knew and who I have not liked for the entire relationship. As we are both just leaving uni and going into jobs this transition has been really hard for us. He has been struggling mentally for a little while as a result of this transition. He has shown deep remorse and regret, and says he is willing to to do everything in his power to get me back. I most definietly will not do so for many months but wanted to get some opinions. He was really freaked out that I could potentially be his forever person as he feels we are so young but now has told friends since doing this he has realised I am what he wants and has now gone and lost it. Do you think age, mental health and alcohol can ever make this forgivable and just a one time mistake? I do believe he will hold this with him for many years but it will just never be the same.
Reply 1
This is complex. No it might never be the same again. But he is still the same stupid dough ball you decided to hook up with three years ago. What did you see in him then that attracted you to him? What are his good qualities? Three years is quite a long time to get to know someone. What hardships have you shared? What life experiences brought you closer? What made him bf material for you? Did you share the same outlooks, same views on life, money etc. Did you argue? Were you in love with him? You are both very young in life to be 'settling down' Are you besotted with him? No, maybe not.

A serial philanderer is generally always a serial philanderer. Men who have several girlfriends (or boyfriends) and often at the same time tend to be driven by something lower down in the physiology than the brain. They have even identified a gene which predisposes a man to continually search for new sexual conquests.

A drunken one night stand is nothing. It is just that and he didn't have to tell you. A sober planned and considered affair is very different to an act of stupid drunken debauchery. In either case it is the trust in the relationship that suffers.

You can't continue to use his drunken stupidity as a stick to beat him with and then hold that over him for the rest his life. Either forgive him totally and straight away (because you might need that same forgiveness one day if you mess up) or leave him and make a clean break. Yes his stress and emotional disarray will be significantly worse after having left Uni into work, but you are not responsible for his emotional pain after you have separated. You are responsible for creating continued and deliberate emotional pain and are now causing him to feel this. I'm not sure what you want to achieve after this?

What are you doing by shunning him totally? Are you punishing him? You can prolong his agony in the wilderness months of this relationship by withholding your love and attention. It matters not that you hate the face of the person he screwed. It could have been any convenient bolthole. What do you want to achieve by acting this way? Why don't you just leave him? There are some great men out there with whom you will probably find a greater bond. He can then find someone else to love instead of being held on a noose? If you are having so many doubts get out and leave this man alone and find someone else to be in a more sustainable relationship. He will be better for it if you do. You will be better off finding someone else to trust.

Maybe he has sensed that 'something' was stifling in the relationship, that control was an issue and that might have been a reason why let his hair down and strayed? If you decide to stay in the relationship you both have to talk this through if you are to understand each other's motives, behaviours and reactions. A good relationship has to have balance and generally be equal in the power sharing and reciprocation. Tolerance, understanding and being non judgemental go a long way if they are offered unconditionally. If there is little balance, and vindictiveness from both sides there will be huge resentments later down the line. The outcome is a prolonging of this agony which is destined to be a break up.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
This is complex. No it might never be the same again. But he is still the same stupid dough ball you decided to hook up with three years ago. What did you see in him then that attracted you to him? What are his good qualities? Three years is quite a long time to get to know someone. What hardships have you shared? What life experiences brought you closer? What made him bf material for you? Did you share the same outlooks, same views on life, money etc. Did you argue? Were you in love with him? You are both very young in life to be 'settling down' Are you besotted with him? No, maybe not.

A serial philanderer is generally always a serial philanderer. Men who have several girlfriends (often at the same time) tend to be driven by something lower down in the physiology than the brain. They have even identified a gene which predisposes a man to continually search for new sexual conquests.

A drunken one night stand is nothing. It is just that and he didn't have to tell you. A sober planned and considered affair is very different to an act of stupid drunken debauchery. In either case it is the trust in the relationship that suffers.

You can't continue to use his drunken stupidity as a stick to beat him with and then hold that over him for the rest his life. Either forgive him totally and straight away (because you might need that same forgiveness one day if you mess up) or leave him and make a clean break. Yes his stress and emotional disarray will be significantly worse after having left Uni into work, but you are not responsible for his emotional pain after you have separated. You are responsible for creating continued and deliberate emotional pain and are now causing him to feel this. I'm not sure what you want to achieve after this?

What are you doing by shunning him totally? Are you punishing him? You can prolong his agony in the wilderness months of this relationship by withholding your love and attention. It matters not that you hate the face of the person he screwed. It could have been any convenient bolthole. What do you want to achieve by acting this way? Why don't you just leave him? There are some great men out there with whom you will probably find a greater bond. He can then find someone else to love instead of being held on a noose? If you are having so many doubts get out and leave this man alone and find someone else to be in a more sustainable relationship. He will be better for it if you do. You will be better off finding someone else to trust.

Maybe he has sensed that 'something' was stifling in the relationship, that control was an issue and that might have been a reason why let his hair down and strayed? If you decide to stay in the relationship you both have to talk this through if you are to understand each other's motives, behaviours and reactions. A good relationship has to have balance and generally be equal in the power sharing and reciprocation. Tolerance, understanding and being non judgemental go a long way if they are offered unconditionally. If there is little balance, and vindictiveness from both sides there will be huge resentments later down the line. The outcome is a prolonging of this agony which is destined to be a break up.

Couldn’t say it better!
Reply 3
Age? He's an adult and made his own decision.

Mental health? It's actually a lack of communication and trust on his part. Is he going to have random sex every time there's an issue in the relationship?

Alcohol? Not so drunk that he couldn't have sex and could remember it to tell you.

There are no excuses for a one-night stand, and if you aren't going to get back with him for months why not end it?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, I need advice.
I found out last week that my boyfriend of 3 years (for context, he is 22 and I am 21) had a very drunken one night stand, he told me two weeks after. It was with someone we both knew and who I have not liked for the entire relationship. As we are both just leaving uni and going into jobs this transition has been really hard for us. He has been struggling mentally for a little while as a result of this transition. He has shown deep remorse and regret, and says he is willing to to do everything in his power to get me back. I most definietly will not do so for many months but wanted to get some opinions. He was really freaked out that I could potentially be his forever person as he feels we are so young but now has told friends since doing this he has realised I am what he wants and has now gone and lost it. Do you think age, mental health and alcohol can ever make this forgivable and just a one time mistake? I do believe he will hold this with him for many years but it will just never be the same.

Get rid of him
Reply 5
You seem to want to give him another chance. Realistically do make mistakes and are sometimes forgiven. Not easy though and could he be trusted in the future
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, I need advice.

Personally, my advice might be biased because I've also made a mistake once and had a thing with another guy which I knew I shouldn't have and immediately regretted it and told my partner, and never have ever made a mistake as such. Luckily, he forgave me and we're still strong as ever. I think it boils down to whether there are any other relationship issues, if he's taken any steps to fix the situation (cut off contact with the other person who you do not like), and whether he genuinely seems apologetic. He needs to be open to letting you trust again and it will take time but if you really love him then it is worth another chance, if these habits from his side repeat themselves, and he acts flirtatiously while drunk then it is best to move on and end things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending