The Student Room Group

Am I an alcoholic?

I drink about half a bottle of wine or a few gin/vodka and tonics a day, probably averaging at about 4 or 5 units a day and 30 units per week. I posted a few days ago about whether my drinking was putting my health at risk and got pretty unanimous answers that it was so I decided to stop drinking for at at least a week.

I haven't had a drink since Tuesday I think and at this point it's all I can think about. I was alright for about a two days but since then I've felt basically like I've had a hangover for the last few days (which I hope is just an unrelated coincidence and not some type of withdrawal symptoms) and I've been craving a drink so much that I can't focus on uni or studying or anything.

Does this mean that I'm an alcoholic? I always thought alcoholics were people who had like 10+ drinks a day and started drinking as soon as they woke up
Reply 1
Well the definition of an alcoholism is "also known as alcohol addiction, alcohol misuse or alcohol dependence".( https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/mental-health/alcoholism ). So according to that definition you seem to be alcohol dependent (therefore an alcoholic?). Although this is just speculation from reading a small bit of text. It depends what you think an alcoholic person is: A life-threatening addiction? Then not necessarily, 30 units isn't a crazy amount although it isn't particularly healthy. Anyways, no matter if you are an alcoholic or not, drinking a moderate amount is vital. Those withdrawal symptoms will get easier, so good luck and don't give up your healthy streak.
Reply 2
I would really encourage you to seek support, both with the alcohol side of things and the anxiety.
It's not my place to label or diagnose you.

But what you describe heavily implies you have a drinking problem in terms of dependance and habits.
Reply 4
Limiting intake is good, drinking a lot doesn’t mean you are addicted.
I’ve known daily drinkers who can stop any time with no bad effects.

You could be addicted, but it could be just psychosomatic ?
I’d certainly stay off the booze for a week or two just to see what happens.
I know someone who always does Sober October/Dry January just for their own confidence.

There are all days where you feel that you “really need a drink” after a hard day but the time that it turns to “after a normal day” is time for a liver holiday.
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
I would really encourage you to seek support, both with the alcohol side of things and the anxiety.

The anxiety hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be, I'm coping and managing things by myself at the minute
Reply 6
I would advise you to avoid alcohol it's not good for your health...
Reply 7
Original post by elixirhtc
I would advise you to avoid alcohol it's not good for your health...

It's not easy as that. Yes, if alcohol was discovered today, it would be banned. However, it's an engrained part of society, so a lot of people won't stop drinking even though they know the risks.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I drink about half a bottle of wine or a few gin/vodka and tonics a day, probably averaging at about 4 or 5 units a day and 30 units per week. I posted a few days ago about whether my drinking was putting my health at risk and got pretty unanimous answers that it was so I decided to stop drinking for at at least a week.

I haven't had a drink since Tuesday I think and at this point it's all I can think about. I was alright for about a two days but since then I've felt basically like I've had a hangover for the last few days (which I hope is just an unrelated coincidence and not some type of withdrawal symptoms) and I've been craving a drink so much that I can't focus on uni or studying or anything.

Does this mean that I'm an alcoholic? I always thought alcoholics were people who had like 10+ drinks a day and started drinking as soon as they woke up

nah ur sound mate

Quick Reply

Latest