The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RJA
I've never really got into more obscure USBM, but having checked out a couple of reviews these two albums seem right up my street. US bands seem to be very good at incorporating doom or post-rock into their music. Will definitely check these out tonight!

Check 'em out yet? I've got an upload of Krallice if you need it...
Reply 4041
FrigidSymphony
Check 'em out yet? I've got an upload of Krallice if you need it...

I'm up for it, if the offer stands for others too! Send it my way via PM! D:
Reply 4042
Listened to them both last night. Good stuff!
Lunarsea
Hello. :wavey:

Sorry a bit of a late reply - haven't checked this thread for a while. I love folk metal, it's brilliant. I've listened to the bolded ones (seen some of them live over the years too) but thanks for listing some more, I will have to look those up.

On a different note, did anyone here go to see Clutch at Koko in London earlier this month? They were awesome. :biggrin:

I would suggest that you start with Forefather - Miri It Is.
One of the best metal songs, ever.
Reply 4044
Yes! I'M GOIN TO ROADBURN 2010 :biggrin: :biggrin:
Anyone like The Misfits?

I'm just getting into them.
Im going to see LAMB OF GOD in feb 2010 in the barrowlands in Glasgow
Anyone ele going, I'll be 18 then so it should be good as Theres a bar!
Reply 4047
Hooa Shiii-

Ulver announced to play the Scala in February, after performing I Troldskog Faren Vild as an encore in Athens...

Scala is a standing venue, and this being the 2nd Ulver gig in London in such a short space of time, could it be a black metal trilogy concert?

One can only wait and pray...
Reply 4048
matt13530
Im going to see LAMB OF GOD in feb 2010 in the barrowlands in Glasgow
Anyone ele going, I'll be 18 then so it should be good as Theres a bar!

I'm going, as is the guy who founded this society (but never posts here!) but I'm going for Between the Buried and me :wink:

Seen Lamb of God before a couple of years ago in a tiny venue in Edinburgh so won't be as good as that, their new material bores me and will be a lot more posers than before... but still

Between the Buried and Me!!!!!

Don't get too excited about the bar mate. Venues are a ******* rip off for drinks. I've never been to the Barrowlands but I was in the 02 Academy last Friday and it was £3.55 for a pint of Strongbow :eek: Get tipsy before you head to the gig and only buy drinks to keep topped up :p:

Oh yeah while I am here. Saw KsE/In Flames/ETID last week. In Flames played Embody the Invisible, which i was amazed about! They never play anything off Colony form what I had heard.. but still they played my fave song :biggrin: Too much stuff off A Sense of Purpose though, which really was an awful album.

Top 10 lists of this year guys? I have a top 13 atm, need to narrow it down :wink:
****'s sake, why can't Lamb of God come to ******* Rock City
Reply 4050
Revolution is my Name
****'s sake, why can't Lamb of God come to ******* Rock City

Cuz they only play at teh metalz sitteh?
Reply 4051
Jelliot
Hooa Shiii-

Ulver announced to play the Scala in February, after performing I Troldskog Faren Vild as an encore in Athens...

Scala is a standing venue, and this being the 2nd Ulver gig in London in such a short space of time, could it be a black metal trilogy concert?

One can only wait and pray...

Wow! Wasn't expecting them to come back! Sort of takes the shine of the super-special QEH show, but whatever, I'm happy :biggrin:

omfg i just watched that Bergtatt I performance on youtube, that will be ******* epic!!!

Also, Opeth are playing the Royal Albert Hall in April. Missed them in Prog Nation tour, but tbh I'll probably end up missing them again. I saw them on the Watershed tour, which wasn't so long ago.
Reply 4052
RJA
Wow! Wasn't expecting them to come back! Sort of takes the shine of the super-special QEH show, but whatever, I'm happy :biggrin:

omfg i just watched that Bergtatt I performance on youtube, that will be ******* epic!!!

Also, Opeth are playing the Royal Albert Hall in April. Missed them in Prog Nation tour, but tbh I'll probably end up missing them again. I saw them on the Watershed tour, which wasn't so long ago.

I'll be definitely going to that as well - 2 sets, with Blackwater Park being played back to front :woo:

So many great gigs coming up, makes Jelliot feel warm and fuzzy inside :yes:
Reply 4053
Just gave Swallow the Sun's new stuff a listen ahead of their gig on Monday. Made me even more excited!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGSzxnAW8_Y :O
Reply 4054
well folks, I know some people are gonna say why you advertising on an international forum for a local gig, but hey, u never know who maye be interested.

just a christmas gig me and a mate have thrown together

posters:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/cadarn_the_mad/gig2-1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/cadarn_the_mad/20dec.jpg

hope to see some people there
Reply 4055
Swallow the Sun were very very good tonight. The setlist could have been better (or longer haha) but they were really tight, with a great atmosphere. Insomnium were also quite intense, seems most of the crowd were there for them - this band has a nice sound I think, but the songwriting is very dull and all the songs kinda sound the same to me.
Reply 4056
RJA
Swallow the Sun were very very good tonight. The setlist could have been better (or longer haha) but they were really tight, with a great atmosphere. Insomnium were also quite intense, seems most of the crowd were there for them - this band has a nice sound I think, but the songwriting is very dull and all the songs kinda sound the same to me.

Agreed about Insomnium, I was reading a magazines top 20 albums of the year and saw them on it was was like wtf.... it's basically their last 2 albums with different lyrics.

But on every album their is a song that is nearly identical to one on a previous album :p:

Albums of the year peeps? My top albums would probably be

Animals as Leaders - S/T
Architects - Hollow Crown
Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
Conducting from the Grave - When Legends Become Dust
Divinity - The Singularity
Exivious - Exivious
Fall of Efrafa - Inle
Gorod- Process of a new Decline
Lye By Mistake - Lye By Mistake
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
No Consequence - In the Shadow of Gods
No Made Sense - The Epillanic Choragi
Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Scale the Summit - Carving Desert Canyons
The Boy Will Drown - Fetish

I know that's 15 but cba cutting it down any further :p:
Reply 4057
Keeno89
No Made Sense - The Epillanic Choragi

Hmmm saw these guys live last week, they were supporting Exit Ten. Nice to hear a band like this from the UK, in concert they sounded a bit like Kylesa, but i haven't heard them on record yet.
Reply 4058
Also, Roadburn 2010 is coming along very nicely:
http://foreverdoomed.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13446&sid=cf814153bd392d631f4490c08f44c17f
I am soooo excited! :biggrin:
I am quite sure when I say Dying Fetus' Decend Into Depravity album is deffinatly the best of 2009.
Jesus Christ, Some of them sweeps.

Latest