Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Setting up International Student Bank Account

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    Hoping this is the right place on the forum!

    I'm an international student starting a graduate course in the UK in a few months. To receive the funds from my scholarship I need a UK bank account. However, all the banks are super serious about me providing "proof of UK address". But I simply cannot do that. I've looked through the documents that I can use, e.g. utility bill or a UK credit card statement. But I have none of them. I sent an email to Barclays (btw: anyone have any advices on what the best bank for (international) students is?) about this. All I got back was a link to a page of the documents I can use as proof ... In other words, not much help.

    Any other international students having had the same issues?
    I did talk to the uni and they said they could provide me with a letter saying I'm expected to live in their accommodation, but not an actual proof of residence. That is only possible when I am actually living there ... but to do that I need to have a bank account so I can pay my fees before term starts ... Fantastic ...

    Would appreciate some input on this if anyone has had similar experiences/troubles.

    (Also, apologies if this is the wrong place for this kind of question).

    Can you not pay the initial fee from your current bank account and then open one when you get there?
    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by Tian1Sky)
    Can you not pay the initial fee from your current bank account and then open one when you get there?
    Sadly not. My current bank account is Norwegian, and the scholarship is payed out in pounds so they require me to have a UK account. I tried asking if they simply couldn't just pay it to the Norwegian bank, but for different reasons (e.g. loss due to currency conversion) they do not want to.
    And unfortunately I do not currently have sufficient funds on my Norwegian account to pay all tuition fees before I get the scholarship money.

    Hello! Couldn't you maybe open a GBP foreign currency account at your current Norwegian bank? That way there wouldn't be any conversion fees so the scholarship could be sent there as well. That is what I did (I'm from Hungary), I just went to the nearest branch of my bank here in Hungary and they could open a GBP account for me free of charge.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.