The Student Room Group

Blacklisted from banks so can't get student finance

Hey so I finish sixth form soon and want to go to university in September but the problem is I can't get a bank account for my maintenance loan to go into. I used to have a bank but it go closed for fraud even though I didn't do anything against that bank to my knowledge. Earlier this year I got arrested for fraud which seems to have essentially blacklisted me from basically all banks and the bank used to be with closed my account, because of this I've been forced to hold all my money in cash as I don't have an alternative. I don't have a good relationship with my mum so I can't direct my students finance to her account. Before someone goes and states the obvious I know it was my own fault, but I've been unable to create an account at any other bank and even if I manage to they eventually close it in a few weeks weeks. I think the longest one lasted was 4 weeks. Just to clarify no individuals lost out because of my actions just incase thinking that might be a reason for someone not to offer an alternative I can try.

I'd appreciate any help of what I can do.
Reply 1
Wanted to add on that my girlfriend said I can send out my student finance in her bank, not sure if they will pay it out to her though. Just I'd prefer to have my own account for accessibility. So if anything it's a last resort if it's possible
So your bank account got closed for fraud despite you apparently not doing anything and you were also arrested for fraud?? Something’s not adding up, you probably did do money laundering. Not too sure but I think directing your student finance into someone else’s account would also be considered fraud/money laundering so you shouldn’t do this either as it could lead to their account being closed and them also getting a CIFAS marker. And by the sounds of it a CIFAS marker against your name is what you have which I believe lasts for 6 years. You may need to do research on prepaid cards and non high street banks that don’t do CIFAS checks although that number is getting smaller and smaller.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
So your bank account got closed for fraud despite you apparently not doing anything and you were also arrested for fraud?? Something’s not adding up, you probably did do money laundering. Not too sure but I think directing your student finance into someone else’s account would also be considered fraud/money laundering so you shouldn’t do this either as it could lead to their account being closed and them also getting a CIFAS marker. And by the sounds of it a CIFAS marker against your name is what you have which I believe lasts for 6 years. You may need to do research on prepaid cards and non high street banks that don’t do CIFAS checks although that number is getting smaller and smaller.

Pretty sure I said "I know it was my own fault" also it was a range of "fraud crimes". How is it fraud it I'm allowing for my student finance to go in the account, if I contacted student finance do you think they would allow it?
Reply 4

Or do you know if student finance can pay out in any other methods?
Original post by Alic30
Pretty sure I said "I know it was my own fault" also it was a range of "fraud crimes". How is it fraud it I'm allowing for my student finance to go in the account, if I contacted student finance do you think they would allow it?

Because it's your student finance, not your girlfriend's so it's fraud. I don't believe SFE would even consider allowing this.
Reply 6
Original post by Alic30

You also said "I used to have a bank but it go closed for fraud even though I didn't do anything against that bank to my knowledge."

You've got to provide various forms of ID when applying for Student Finance because it's paid to your bank account, not someone else's.
Reply 7
Because it's your student finance, not your girlfriend's so it's fraud. I don't believe SFE would even consider allowing this.

Fraud is considered deception for financial gain though? How is it deception if I clarify it and any debts incurred are in my name they just payout to someone else without my permission. I assume it's unlikely I'd be able to appeal against the market
Original post by Alic30
Fraud is considered deception for financial gain though? How is it deception if I clarify it and any debts incurred are in my name they just payout to someone else without my permission. I assume it's unlikely I'd be able to appeal against the market

Not necessarily, fraud is just straight up deception and I'm 99% sure diverting funds which are meant for you into someone else's account constitutes financial fraud. As mentioned, it's bad enough that you've been arrested and also have a CIFAS marker for 6 years, don't inflict that on someone else too.
Original post by Alic30
Wanted to add on that my girlfriend said I can send out my student finance in her bank, not sure if they will pay it out to her though. Just I'd prefer to have my own account for accessibility. So if anything it's a last resort if it's possible

SFE will only disburse loans to an account in your name - not your mum, girlfriend, or anyone else.
Reply 10
Not necessarily, fraud is just straight up deception and I'm 99% sure diverting funds which are meant for you into someone else's account constitutes financial fraud. As mentioned, it's bad enough that you've been arrested and also have a CIFAS marker for 6 years, don't inflict that on someone else too.

Obviously I wouldn't do that intentionally
Original post by Alic30

It's a moot point because SFE do not allow that anyway. They will not disburse your loan to an account in anyone else's name.
Original post by Alic30

As clarified by artful, SFE will only pay into an account registered to your name.
Reply 13
Original post by artful_lounger
It's a moot point because SFE do not allow that anyway. They will not disburse your loan to an account in anyone else's name.

Do they distribute to international accounts say for example I had an account in another country
Original post by Alic30
Do they distribute to international accounts say for example I had an account in another country

That I don't know - it might be sensible to just contact them and ask directly.
Two options for you to explore:

1) Applying for what is known as a "basic" bank account. This is no whistles, no bells, no overdraft, no credit card. Many main banks will offer this. You could even write to the customer service team at your old bank and explain that you have grown up and aren't the same person you were before and would like a fresh start in life and then see if maybe they will offer a 2nd chance.

2) Find a Credit Union. They work slightly differently to banks but still offer current accounts. They're not in every area and they usually only offer accounts in you're local or have something in common with the other members (like belonging to the same church), but they do tend to have a policy of interviewing people and letting local managers make decisions. Have a look here: https://www.findyourcreditunion.co.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending