The Student Room Group

Can I get into investment banking with an Accounting and Finance degree?

Hello.

I'm thinking about applying to Warwick's Accounting and Finance (with Foundation Year) course, simply because it's a target uni and the modules sound pretty good. My only worry is that because it doesn't cover economics, only finance, I wouldn't qualify for most of the internships or graduate city jobs.
You do have some element of micro and macro in the second year. Check the module guide.
Economics of Strategy
Understand fundamental concepts in micro and macroeconomics, as relevant for the study of strategic decisions of firms. Develop a range of appropriate analytical skills, including descriptive, graphical and elementary mathematical methods used in the economic analysis of strategy. Develop your capacity to apply analytical techniques to real world business problems and strategy choices.
Original post by hamzaahmad786
You do have some element of micro and macro in the second year. Check the module guide.
Economics of Strategy
Understand fundamental concepts in micro and macroeconomics, as relevant for the study of strategic decisions of firms. Develop a range of appropriate analytical skills, including descriptive, graphical and elementary mathematical methods used in the economic analysis of strategy. Develop your capacity to apply analytical techniques to real world business problems and strategy choices.

I wasn't too worried about the course content. I'm just concerned that because the course is Accounting and Finance that I wouldn't qualify for investment banking internships, jobs, etc
Original post by AngryWalrus
Hello.

I'm thinking about applying to Warwick's Accounting and Finance (with Foundation Year) course, simply because it's a target uni and the modules sound pretty good. My only worry is that because it doesn't cover economics, only finance, I wouldn't qualify for most of the internships or graduate city jobs.

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good to hear. I just assumed that because the course didn't have economics in the title, that it wouldn't be as valued.

Most likely, I just landed a summer internship and I study Physics - if in the interviews and motivational questions you can show your genuine passion for IB you'll be fine imo. I think most don't really discriminate on degree choice to be honest with you, if you check the requirements it says they dont mind the degree type but usually 2:1 and above
a&f is commonplace in the indsutry, given you'll work with a lot of accounting/finance information.
best degree for IB
Original post by Dante991
Most likely, I just landed a summer internship and I study Physics - if in the interviews and motivational questions you can show your genuine passion for IB you'll be fine imo. I think most don't really discriminate on degree choice to be honest with you, if you check the requirements it says they dont mind the degree type but usually 2:1 and above

Original post by gr8wizard10
a&f is commonplace in the indsutry, given you'll work with a lot of accounting/finance information.

That's good to hear, thanks very much. I'm glad I stumbled upon these foundation courses, looks like I'm eligible as well :smile:
Hello.

Economics is hyped too much. 95% of what you learn from the degree will not be useful on the job. The reason for the hype around Economics is because of the student culture in the UK. Sit with Econ students at UCL/LSE and the conversation will turn to summer internships/banking within 15 mins.

Whereas a degree in Accounting is incredibly transferable on a practical note, especially if you take up modules in financial accounting.
Original post by bankingHQ
Economics is hyped too much. 95% of what you learn from the degree will not be useful on the job. The reason for the hype around Economics is because of the student culture in the UK. Sit with Econ students at UCL/LSE and the conversation will turn to summer internships/banking within 15 mins.

Whereas a degree in Accounting is incredibly transferable on a practical note, especially if you take up modules in financial accounting.

100000% agree with the first bit. Econ is seen as 'the' IB degree in this country for some reason by prospective applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bankingHQ

I'll keep that in mind if I get an offer. Thanks very much for the info :smile:
Reply 12
I'll keep that in mind if I get an offer. Thanks very much for the info :smile:

Hi, I'm currently at the same position that you were at 4 years ago. If you don't mind me asking did you get a job in the banking sector and did you get the offer. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by windsuo
Hi, I'm currently at the same position that you were at 4 years ago. If you don't mind me asking did you get a job in the banking sector and did you get the offer. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.

I did the foundation year now I’m doing management with finance at wbs, and my coursemates got offers from banking sector. So far I’ve had interviews from citi, hsbc natwest etc and waiting for assessment centres for grad job

Come to Warwick uni information fair this Saturday and you’ll be able to speak to some of us
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by windsuo

Warwick A+F to banking is very very very possible. Lots of people do it every year.
Reply 15
so can you get into investment banking with a degree in accounting and finance
The course content from Accounting and Finance is more relevant for Investment Banking (especially the Internal Audit Division, Investment Banking Division, Finance division, Sales and Trading and Asset Management. Economics is a popular course, but Accounting and Finance will make your interview life and preparation easier as Accounting forms the base of Investment Banking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending